Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Gaian

5,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
Hey there fellow Gaia Musicians i just started learning Jazz and the theory is fascinating and overwhelming at the same time I recently learned all about jazz's special usage of the 2-5-1 chord progression.My question is what should I learn next in the way of chords and chord usage?
secondary dominants

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
Haha, wow. There's so much more to learn than that! I agree with milk enthusiast that secondary dominants are another crucial puzzle piece, but even before that, I'd recommend solidifying your understanding of chord function and the principles of voice leading. Since you mention an interest in jazz, I'd also recommend looking at how chord extensions are used. It would also be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the basic diatonic modes and the possibilities for mode mixture (jazz seems to take pretty good advantage of mixolydian, lydian, and phrygian modes from what I've seen, although all are really pretty important to learn about at some point).

I mean, there is a lot out there. I've also seen it frequently recommended to transcribe your favorite jazz pieces and analyze them that way - it is definitely less likely to find a full score for most jazz pieces the way there is in classical music. It's helpful for your ear, anyway. -shrug-

Blessed Gaian

5,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
Keakealani
Haha, wow. There's so much more to learn than that! I agree with milk enthusiast that secondary dominants are another crucial puzzle piece, but even before that, I'd recommend solidifying your understanding of chord function and the principles of voice leading. Since you mention an interest in jazz, I'd also recommend looking at how chord extensions are used. It would also be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the basic diatonic modes and the possibilities for mode mixture (jazz seems to take pretty good advantage of mixolydian, lydian, and phrygian modes from what I've seen, although all are really pretty important to learn about at some point).

I mean, there is a lot out there. I've also seen it frequently recommended to transcribe your favorite jazz pieces and analyze them that way - it is definitely less likely to find a full score for most jazz pieces the way there is in classical music. It's helpful for your ear, anyway. -shrug-
That Was Some Solid Advice thanks a ton cool

Chatty Sophomore

2,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
deceptive resolutions

bIImaj7 after the V7

mrgreen

Fashionable Conversationalist

14,150 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Keakealani
I've also seen it frequently recommended to transcribe your favorite jazz pieces and analyze them that way
This is really good advice. It also helps you with improvisation.
What's your instrument?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces