Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello all, it's Zach here!
I'm a new writer, but I can't for the life of me seem to hold down a decent plot. emotion_donotwant
I really would like to know how I may be able to help fortify it. Can any more seasoned writers give me a way to help nourish my skills? I would be most thankful!

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
What'd the sticky recommend?
Write shorter stuff. Build up to longer stuff. That's about all I can think to say without knowing more.

Shameless Visionary

19,000 Points
  • Master Medic 150
  • Cool Competitor 150
  • Never Give Up 35
The most important thing you can do to hone your skills (besides writing) is read.

Read anything you're interested in, but make fiction a normal part of your day. And seek out books from many times and places. A part of the art of plotting has to do with deliberately creating and organizing events, but the other part has to do with learning from all those who have gone before you, as well as others besides you who are writing in the present.

When you read, spend some time just enjoying and absorbing without consciously noticing the author's mechanics. But also, spend some time carefully dissecting the structure of the writer's stor, in detail -- and it doesn't hurt to take notes or draw up a timeline of events. In both instances, you are learning, just with different parts of your brain.

People can tell you what they do when they write, and they can make recommendations that may be useful to you, but nothing works as well as giving yourself an opportunity to learn from experienced writers by reading their writing.
Great Lakes haze
The most important thing you can do to hone your skills (besides writing) is read.

Read anything you're interested in, but make fiction a normal part of your day. And seek out books from many times and places. A part of the art of plotting has to do with deliberately creating and organizing events, but the other part has to do with learning from all those who have gone before you, as well as others besides you who are writing in the present.

When you read, spend some time just enjoying and absorbing without consciously noticing the author's mechanics. But also, spend some time carefully dissecting the structure of the writer's stor, in detail -- and it doesn't hurt to take notes or draw up a timeline of events. In both instances, you are learning, just with different parts of your brain.

People can tell you what they do when they write, and they can make recommendations that may be useful to you, but nothing works as well as giving yourself an opportunity to learn from experienced writers by reading their writing.

Thank you! <3 I used to read a lot but I really need to start doing that again.

Shameless Visionary

19,000 Points
  • Master Medic 150
  • Cool Competitor 150
  • Never Give Up 35
Hipster_slayers
Great Lakes haze

Thank you! <3 I used to read a lot but I really need to start doing that again.

Good luck with reading and with plotting! biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces