Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was wondering about a month ago why we even have shampoo. It has chemicals inside it that our hairs don't really need. Plus, before the use of shampoo, people went about their days without having the "need" to have it.

So last month was a convenient time to see if I could live without. Mostly because I was broke and had no shampoo left. At the first 3-4 days, my hair would start to get so much dandruff, it was very unsettling. But I persisted because I knew it was a transition phase where you let go of one habit, there will be some "havoc". For example when someone who doesn't go to the gym goes for the first couple of times, doing an intense cardio such as boxing and then having to feel very sore the next day or more. Then as they continue despite the initial hardships they must face, their body will start to get used to the workout and start to become adjusted enough not to feel as sore as before.

Lo and behold, after a month without shampoo, my hair doesn't have any more flakes and feels better than before. I always thought I needed head and shoulder against the flakes, but it was due to even using shampoo that first started it all to begin with. So I want to know if anyone else goes without shampoo or if anyone is willing to spend a few days, weeks or months to see how it'll be like for them?

Now just to be clear, just because I don't use shampoo doesn't mean I'm dirty lol. I still use soap whenever I clean my hands, brush my teeth, etc.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

11,000 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
Quote:
I still use soap whenever I clean my hands, brush my teeth, etc.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Shameless Man-Lover

I do not use shampoo everyday because it's much healthier for one's hair to not strip their hair everyday like that. I use it every three-four days, and my hair loves it. It still gets build up on the scalp, and I need to use a clarifying shampoo every couple weeks in order to help my scalp, but it's worth it having soft, healthy, shiny hair.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
my hair gets all greasy after a couple days
an it smells funky

Bashful Bookworm

I found head and shoulders actually gave me dandruff.

But my hair gets too greasy within the first week that I cave and start using it again.

Tipsy Kitten

I use a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water. And coconut oil for a conditioner. I don't get oily hair any more.

Wealthy Hoarder

For me I need to shampoo my hair everyday. If I don't I wake up with a rats nest that can't be brushed through.

Honestly, it depends on the persons's hair and what they do on a day to day bases. I can try and not do a thing...

But like I said I can't do anything with my hair if I don't. x_X That's me though.
I recently switched to washing my hair ever other day, versus every day, like I used to. Never had a problem with dandruff, but I think it has helped decrease split-ends and dryness.

Now I am just looking to switch to more natural brand of conditioner and shampoo.
Stephnananana

I found head and shoulders actually gave me dandruff.

But my hair gets too greasy within the first week that I cave and start using it again.
Do not cave in! If you can outperform your hair within that week, take another step towards that second to last another day, then another and another. Soon you will see you will have gotten to two weeks and beyond! Those weeks are yours to seek salvation for your hair! Find it within yourself and fight for your right to let your hair go on without dandruff, without ever to rely on head and shoulders ever again!!!

You will thank yourself later cool

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

I have to. I've tried going a month without using shampoo and I can't do it. My hair is so thick and I have so much of it that I have to use shampoo and conditioner to be able to tame it.
I only use shampoo every other day, and only a small amount (just enough to get a lather) and just enough conditioner to work through the ends, but my hair is awful if I don't, even after the initial nastiness.

Plus it stanks like hell if I don't and I like the way shampoo makes it smell. I like the way it feels when I do use shampoo and conditioner. I've tried using more natural things as well and my hair is just awful. I mean it's soft and shiny and healthy, I once bleached the s**t out of it for 6 months and when I dyed over it with my natural colour you couldn't tell (even my new hairdresser didn't believe me), but if I don't shampoo it's uncontrollable.

User Image

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
I have read about the benefits form abstaining from shampoo.
It has some good studies behind it, I'd like to try it.
I remember as a kid I hated showers and baths, I'd only wash my hair every three days or so.
My hair was really strong and healthy, It never got oily until the third day.
Now I wash every day and it gets so gross if I don't wash every day, I'm curious to see if I start waiting to wash my hair maybe my hair wont be so oily anymore because I'm not constantly striping it everyday.

I've read that baking soda with water is a good cleanser and apple cider vinegar with coconut oil is a good conditioner.

I'll probably give it a go once I run out of my hair products.

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
I live in a state where the humidity is just terrible and miserable to deal with so, yeah, I have to wash my hair everyday (I try to limit on how much conditioner I use because my hair can get greasy/oily quickly). I just hate that look of grease; it's disgusting and downright painful to look at.

I thought about washing my hair every other day, but I can't do it. My hair is very thick and tedious to work with sometimes, so shampoo is a must, just like my conditioner. Without one or the other, my hair looks godawful. Bleh.
I only shampoo once in a while otherwise I just rinse with some conditioner so it doesn't smell bad, my hair is fine and dry and if I shampoo it I get bad dander and itchy scalp.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
... You use soap to brush your teeth?
You need to wash your hair just like you need to soap your body. I bet your hair/head smells like death. It's not just to make it feel nice or whatever, it's about being hygienic.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff