Welcome to Gaia! ::

Also if someone tries too hard to be deep in pretty much any genre it turns out pretty bad
I guess what I'm saying is either way don't make s**t. they're different types of s**t, but they still smell(sound) bad.
If you're going to make s**t it better smell like roses. Sometimes people make intentionally shitty music that is good in its own way.

Beloved Player

8,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
dollarbillblues
Also if someone tries too hard to be deep in pretty much any genre it turns out pretty bad

It doesnt have to deep but it shouldnt be so shallow either
i understand that this is what people like now i just dont understand why that this happened

Liberal Streaker

3,950 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Mega Tipsy 100
It hasn't changed all that much. OP is suffering from "theolderthebetterits"

Beloved Player

8,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
Caucasian Walk
It hasn't changed all that much. OP is suffering from "theolderthebetterits"

Well i enjoy some newer rap but the whole of the image and lyrics have changed
what used to be about fighting against the crowd is now pretty much endorsing being in the crowd
naruto_uzumaki_848
dollarbillblues

i understand that this is what people like now i just dont understand why that this happened

Well that depends on how much importance you place on lyrical content. When it comes to more narrative things I can understand a little bit, but it's not that big a deal to me.
dollarbillblues
naruto_uzumaki_848
dollarbillblues

Well that depends on how much importance you place on lyrical content. When it comes to more narrative things I can understand a little bit, but it's not that big a deal to me.

the general consensus with rap is that flow > wordplay > lyrical subtext/meanings

what makes songs sound decent isn't how intelligent the lyrics are, (although it is pretty important,) but rather how well the words go together. the reason why songs on the radio become popular is because they're catchy, regardless of lyrical depth. flo rida and pitbull are pretty good examples of this

now if you were to branch away from commercial rap, you can find some gems

the best songs aren't usually the ones that require a whole lot of understanding -- those are reserved for the savants and people who like to think about what their listening to in order to analyze it

a rapper that isn't too thought provoking yet not totally mindless is childish gambino. guy has decent flow, funny punchlines, and great wordplay

Gawker

Mmmm, not much. It has always been a large part of Hip Hop to include topics such as wealth and attaining bitches and luxury and doing drugs in your lyrics.
H3LLZ
Mmmm, not much. It has always been a large part of Hip Hop to include topics such as wealth and attaining bitches and luxury and doing drugs in your lyrics.

That's like every popular form of music.
You just have to dig deep. If you only listen to the chart-topping rap singles, you're not going to find many worthwhile tracks.

Listen to some of the rappers on Nujabes' work, check out the projects to come from MF DOOM, or if you're looking for something dramatically different: Death Grips.
Listen to some AOTP, pretty good stuff there.

simple ill tell you what happend to rap over the years...

IT GOT HORRIBLE AND DEMEANING!!!!!!
Rap never changed..
Your telling me Magic Stick - 50 Cent was really about a magical wand?
Or Candy Shop was actually about candy..
Snoop Dogg, Missy elliot.
Bullshit and Party - Bigge Smalls?
Freek A Leek- Petey Pablo?
It was always like this, and if it wasn't about sex, then it was about gangs. East side/West side "conflict".
Or money.
I listed artists that people have generally heard of
(Not bashing on the above artists, I love them, I did not include eminem because I don't really like his style)
Anyways, rap has never changed. I think it's just some poor excuse parents like to make up so they can blame whatever's "wrong"(Smoking weed, having sex, getting pregnant) with their child on some song.
run the trap

Beloved Player

8,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
Insatiate
Rap never changed..
Your telling me Magic Stick - 50 Cent was really about a magical wand?
Or Candy Shop was actually about candy..
Snoop Dogg, Missy elliot.
Bullshit and Party - Bigge Smalls?
Freek A Leek- Petey Pablo?
It was always like this, and if it wasn't about sex, then it was about gangs. East side/West side "conflict".
Or money.
I listed artists that people have generally heard of
(Not bashing on the above artists, I love them, I did not include eminem because I don't really like his style)
Anyways, rap has never changed. I think it's just some poor excuse parents like to make up so they can blame whatever's "wrong"(Smoking weed, having sex, getting pregnant) with their child on some song.

Of course these songs were about "bad" things but the way the way the scenes are portraid are different now. Instead of making a clever way to depict something now its straightforward. those are the things i look forward to in songs
for example ( even though you dont like eminem) in his song 25 to life Eminem spends most of the song talking about what the audience thinks is a woman and at the end he says hes divorcing RAP which means during the whole song hes been talking about the rap game instead of degrading a woman. But this is just my opinion

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff