Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Player

8,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
Eschatological
I am not an extreme rap fanatic, but I thought that there were always raps about women and money.... since the beginning of rap?? Am I wrong??

And anyways, I've heard plenty of more recent rap that is wonderful, regardless if they are rapping about women and money (which I find charming if it's done cleverly) or something more "intelligent" or political or emotional.

I only like certain rappers anyway and yeah it has been around since the beginning but it wasnt as prominent as it is now

what rap have you listened to?

Beloved Player

8,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
[Sure! I haven't listened to him in a long time but I do recall liking his album Encore.quote="Carbonbonsin"]
naruto_uzumaki_848

ok then also 25 to Life
Encore is my 4th favorite of his albums
My first 3 are Hell the sequel,Recovery and Relapse/Curtain Call
I cant choose between the last 2
Nothing happen to rap. People have been saying this sort of thing EVERY decade, it's the biased lenses of nostalgia...every decade the people go "MAN, STUFF USED TO BE WAY MORE REAL BACK IN X!". In 10 years maybe people will be reminiscing and being nostalgic about how rap was way more real in the 2010s. There has always been crappy music and brainless music and pop music, in every genre, always. Generally people don't remember the bad times when they're nostalgic though, they remember the great songs. There were plenty of silly bullshit rap songs during the 90s.
Generally, the overall quality of music doesn't change so much as you change.

Beloved Player

8,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
OddballAlice
Nothing happen to rap. People have been saying this sort of thing EVERY decade, it's the biased lenses of nostalgia...every decade the people go "MAN, STUFF USED TO BE WAY MORE REAL BACK IN X!". In 10 years maybe people will be reminiscing and being nostalgic about how rap was way more real in the 2010s. There has always been crappy music and brainless music and pop music, in every genre, always. Generally people don't remember the bad times when they're nostalgic though, they remember the great songs. There were plenty of silly bullshit rap songs during the 90s.

ok this is actually my fault because i wasnt clear in what i was attempting to say.
What i was trying to say was the image and overall feeling has changed i wasnt really talking about my opinion on the matter
naruto_uzumaki_848
OddballAlice

ok this is actually my fault because i wasnt clear in what i was attempting to say.
What i was trying to say was the image and overall feeling has changed i wasnt really talking about my opinion on the matter

The image you see is only what's been popularized. There is still rap and hip hop that is reminiscent of the 80's where the songs were a lot lighter in mood and message (or early 90's militant hip-hop which was darker thematically), it's just not broadcast because it isn't what sells and it isn't made as much for the exact same reason. It's not a good or bad thing, it's capitalism (which I guess kind of makes it bad by association).
GAY WITCHERY
Good Heroine
naruto_uzumaki_848
OddballAlice

The image you see is only what's been popularized. There is still rap and hip hop that is reminiscent of the 80's where the songs were a lot lighter in mood and message (or early 90's militant hip-hop which was darker thematically), it's just not broadcast because it isn't what sells and it isn't made as much for the exact same reason. It's not a good or bad thing, it's capitalism (which I guess kind of makes it bad by association).

i'd say it's not broadcast because it's dull. sure, it's way cool that some dudes want to rap about social injustice and how they want to be friends with girls, and more power to them for that. but they often sacrifice both style and substance to get their message across. mostly, i think a lot of these dudes just have no musical talent to go along with their messages(which are usually played out anyways).

of course, there are some that can do both. i'm looking at the likes of le1f, azealia banks, mykki blancko, and other new york gayngsters. their music is catchy as s**t but it still manages to make commentary on lgbt issues while still rapping about p***y (boy p***y), money, and drugs.

Also that. Immortal Technique is boring as s**t.
Good question. I think rap goes through different phases. It went from 2Tupac to 2chainz. 2Tupac talk about his life,growing basically saying how his life was a struggle and how he was thankful for it everyday. 2chainz talk "nice shaped girls" cars,and money. They are both excellent rapers but i think different times means different raps.
Rap has always sucked, and it just got shittier.

Beloved Player

8,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
D0kt0r Bulletz
Rap has always sucked, and it just got shittier.

well what type of music do you like.
naruto_uzumaki_848
rawheavygreen
intelligent rap is mostly boring anyway

what rap do you like then?
artist wise

mostly
I don't care much whether it's "intelligent" or not but if you have a shitty beat and I hear that stupid ******** snare loop and an air horn and "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNGH" + lack of flow you need to sit the ******** down or get hit by a bus.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff