Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ladykiller

BinaNeko
oh how many haters you american ppl have! I am one of them sometimes.
I just don't like your government, and when I watch videoes from the US, the ppl in it are just so very very dumb, it makes me sad that they even have the right to vote! :') Especially ppl from like the south, they just.. wow, just wow. I remember watching a documentary about the election, and the ppl were just making me eek .. I don't think it's their fault though, it's the system, everyone hates america because of their retarded government. Also the military, who would voluntarily sign up for the US military? You aren't going to protect your country, you are going to help kill people that are across the world from you, and that really doesn't pose a threat at all!
*Sign up here to go kill innocent people, it will be just like playing real-life call of duty*

also, I pity the people that live there and loses their jobs, or the people that dont have a job and become sick. America is all about money, if you were born and raised in it, you will be fine. If you were born poor, chances are you will remain poor, cause you cant even afford a decent college.So much for the "country where dreams come true"

Summary: I dont really have anything against the american people as much as the government and the military.

1. People that voluntarily sign up for the military do so for monetary gain/stability rather than pride. Very few sign up saying ''HEY I THINK IMMA KILL ME SOME A-RABS''. I've had a few friends sign up because they had very few options in this economy. They had difficulty finding jobs in their rural areas so they signed up. This doesn't justify anything they will be doing while enlisted but please don't spout bs about how people sign up to defend their country. That drilled mentality is to keep morale up when the odds seem grim.

2. We have community colleges that are generally a lot cheaper. In my state (the state with the highest population) if you are low income you qualify for a Board of Governor's waiver, they waive the fees of the class and the only expenses you're left with are books which can be dealt with by visits to the library, taking copies of the material or buying the book used/online. Do 2 years in a community college for peanuts, transfer to a University. We have grants and scholarships for almost anything, especially if you have decent grades and you're low income. If your parents make decent money and aren't willing to help you, you're on your own to figure out how to make it work but it's not impossible.

There is an American dream but it's not going to be handed to you.

Bara Doge's Queen

Omnipresent Senshi

I've met a lot of Americans that are nowhere near being stupid, but man, do some of them make me feel hopeless about humankind.
Juxtaposed is Life
The_Dread_Toaster
Juxtaposed is Life
The_Dread_Toaster
Americans tend to be rotund, celebrity obsessed, perpetual teenagers. Oh, and they really suck at world geography and history.

The entire world pretty much blows at geography and history.

Canadians don't surprisingly enough. My Canadian friends always lulz at my tenuous grasp on geography.

"Rebecca, where is East Timur?"
"What the hell is an East Timur?"
"Ahahahaha. Silly American."

Every time.

sounds like a waste of a life

I'm not a waste of life. I am a seeing eye human for my blind dog and I can cook like a mo-fo'

Loyal Paladin

My overall opinion is that its okay, but not exactly the favourite place ever. Some rude people here and there, and I've seen many who think America is number one and so on. My only biggest problem is the leaders suck often. And people can't say, "oh well you haven't met everyone so how can you have an opinion?" Because it isn't logically possible to meet every individual. So in a sense that's no excuse.

Beloved Sex Symbol

I have some great American friends. But some of the things they say and do leave me going WTF?!?

Also some of them can stop trying to be Canadian. It doesn't work 90% of the time. My Cousin's friend knows all to well, was in another country (forget where) but my cousin is Canadian, his friend is American. Guess which one got the crap beat out him for no reason, and it wasn't my cousin.

Also the two things that annoy me is lack of knowlage where places are in the world (not all are that bad but some are) and the lack of proper sex education.
boa noite

1. People that voluntarily sign up for the military do so for monetary gain/stability rather than pride. Very few sign up saying ''HEY I THINK IMMA KILL ME SOME A-RABS''. I've had a few friends sign up because they had very few options in this economy. They had difficulty finding jobs in their rural areas so they signed up. This doesn't justify anything they will be doing while enlisted but please don't spout bs about how people sign up to defend their country. That drilled mentality is to keep morale up when the odds seem grim.

2. We have community colleges that are generally a lot cheaper. In my state (the state with the highest population) if you are low income you qualify for a Board of Governor's waiver, they waive the fees of the class and the only expenses you're left with are books which can be dealt with by visits to the library, taking copies of the material or buying the book used/online. Do 2 years in a community college for peanuts, transfer to a University. We have grants and scholarships for almost anything, especially if you have decent grades and you're low income. If your parents make decent money and aren't willing to help you, you're on your own to figure out how to make it work but it's not impossible.

There is an American dream but it's not going to be handed to you.

1. That's funny, because the people I have spoken to that was enlisted in the military was enlisted during school, by people telling them how awesome it is being in the military.
The people I have read about being in the military all brag about being in the military and how they are "defending" the US from enemies. Which is pretty laughable.

2. And again, I guess each state is different. I have a perfect example, my friends cousin is super smart, she did really well in school, and got the best grades. She got a scholarship, something happened and she lost the scholarship. Sucks for her right? She worked her whole life to get somewhere, something happened so she lost the scolarship, and now she is nowhere.
You say you have grants and scolarships for almost everything? Do you think you have nearly enough to give one to everyone?

Invisible Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Junior Trader 100
Yes I'm American, and I can truly see where people are coming from and why they get the impression that they get. It's truly awful because all the negativity wraps up and covers the positive so that no one else can see it. It's saddening.

I haven't been everywhere in America. The times I did get around was due in part for summer vacation. I was little and going to elementary school, so I never took notice of how people acted in other states. Though being older and looking around, I can see that there is trouble. All in all there is so much debate, self-esteem issues, and more. As many mentioned, some people feel the entitlement of being "Number #1" when really it shouldn't matter so much. That sense of empowerment leads them to thinking that they are right and everyone else is wrong. It's just sad.

The only place that I feel comfortable is going to school at my college campus. It seems like everyone is alright with each other. I've hardly seen any arguments and haven't seen much of any fighting. The only stir ups that have risen are due in part to certain people that don't even attend the college campus. Those include preachers that don't preach the bible but who actually state that "We're all going to Hell". That's about sums it up. There are courteous people of course that are kind to sit at booths and hand out little bibles, but trying to ignore a man that is blatantly saying you are horrible sinner and that you are automatically going to hell is pretty hard. Anyways, not everyone is bad. It's just a blend of negative extremists, negative people, neutral, positive people, and positive extremists. If they all could coexist like the students on my campus, then I believe things could get better though I don't know if that will ever happen.

In any case, I wish I could visit other countries to see what is like. The one I'm most eager to see is Italy. Though I don't speak Italian, I still believe it would be nice to visit and behold a different place than I'm used to.

Ladykiller

BinaNeko

1. That's funny, because the people I have spoken to that was enlisted in the military was enlisted during school, by people telling them how awesome it is being in the military.
The people I have read about being in the military all brag about being in the military and how they are "defending" the US from enemies. Which is pretty laughable.

2. And again, I guess each state is different. I have a perfect example, my friends cousin is super smart, she did really well in school, and got the best grades. She got a scholarship, something happened and she lost the scholarship. Sucks for her right? She worked her whole life to get somewhere, something happened so she lost the scolarship, and now she is nowhere.
You say you have grants and scolarships for almost everything? Do you think you have nearly enough to give one to everyone?

1. They aren't going to tell recruits that the military is s**t. Most everybody has a relative or a friend that has been or is in the military. I didn't say there weren't any people that didn't go to ''defend their country'' but I said that they are few and far between. You'll be hardpressed to find somebody that will be completely honest and say they signed up for the paycheck, experience and benefits.

2. What did she do to lose her scholarship? Did her grades slip? If so why do you think she deserves a scholarship for letting her grades tank? Because she was at one point in time a good student so even if she isn't any longer she still deserves the hand out? Did she drop out because of it? If so why didn't she seek other means to support her education?

I have a friend that paid $4,000 to go to UCLA for 2 years after transferring from a community college (she was a high school drop out beforehand), her scholarships even got her enough to invest in a car that would allow her to commute there and back every day. She worked her butt off to earn it and to keep it.

No, there aren't enough for everyone. This is a country, in debt, with 312 million people. Our Universities aren't the cheapest but they are some of the better ones (I'm not saying the best but they generally aren't lacking in quality). They aren't as nearly impossible to get into if you have the drive to do so.
well i am american and my honest opinion of them is this

they're lazy, overpowering, and overall corrupted
the government is especially annoying
i dont see the point in pledging allegence either

i honestly find it hard to be a nation when so many peoples thoughts are clouded by greed and self wants
That really depends since it's a big country.
I like my state for the most part.
I am one. I think that anyone with an IQ under 120 should be sterilized.

Rainbow Smoker

The Odious

I recall an American family had gone out to eat in Rome I believe, and they were trying to order a burger. I mean what the hell?

Once I was in Paris getting off a train with these fat american bitches and they ran for the nearest mcdonalds the second we got off the train.

I think Americans are fat and gross and as I'm typing this I just got hamburger juice on my mouse, so I too am a part of the problem. sad

Beloved Inquisitor

We Americans are GODLIKE

5,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
toasty nipples

Nonetheless, a lot of the teenagers have no self control because they figure 'Hell, I'm in America, the free land. Lets get drunk and drive in the fast lane.'
But again, this is from what I've seen.

Lol when you say "I've seen" are your referring to Hollywood films?

As an American that comes from a family of immigrants, I think it's ridiculous to say all Americans are one way or another. SO many people here come from other countries or have roots elsewhere, and it's a huge country.
That being said, I think it's safe to say that your typical WASP/suburban American is likely to be very ignorant to the world around them.

6,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Oneiro Itane
toasty nipples

Nonetheless, a lot of the teenagers have no self control because they figure 'Hell, I'm in America, the free land. Lets get drunk and drive in the fast lane.'
But again, this is from what I've seen.

Lol when you say "I've seen" are your referring to Hollywood films?

As an American that comes from a family of immigrants, I think it's ridiculous to say all Americans are one way or another. SO many people here come from other countries or have roots elsewhere, and it's a huge country.
That being said, I think it's safe to say that your typical WASP/suburban American is likely to be very ignorant to the world around them.

Correct wording would be 'I assume' lol
I also come from a family of immigrants, and I agree with you, but I'm not saying that everyone who comes to America develops Western culture. I'm saying a lot do, at least where I live, which is why I said I've 'seen'.
Damn, now you've got me all confused with the bbcode.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff