Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

6,850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm American, and I'm apathetic to everything said....enough said.
<___<
This thread is proving that there are a ton of misconceptions about America. The stereotypes mentioned here that are directed at Americans apply to every other country that I've been to.

Lionheart

America will never ever be able to beat China until our classmates stop whining about the homework and do it.
I don't think I can give an overall opinion, because our country is so diverse. Sure, there are some Americans I hate, but there are others I respect. I could no sooner make a blanket statement about my overall opinion of gay people, black people, or Muslims. Having one thing in common with other people doesn't mean a person is like them in every sense.
The Pro: A cultural melting pot.

The Con: The leaders are s**t.

I live in America.

Aged Fatcat

I hate when people put all Americans in one category and then claim to not be judgemetal, in general, about anything. Every country has its faults. I love America, our government needs a reality check, they dont represent us in a way they should. Most Americans are generous, we do charitys, we help other countrys when a hurricane hits, as if you are our damn problem. Do you expect us to take care of you, yet you hate us? Makes sense. If we are so greedy, dont ask for money when you need it, because we ourselves are struggling and then still vote or rally, or send help your way or military support when you are invaded. Personally I dont think other countries need our help, if you dont like us, dont come to us when you want something. A bunch of complaining pussies. Americans have our own problems with our own government, your liking of us as a whole is not one of them. Also if your an American and hate it, get the ******** out. Go live in Africa and lets see how bad you hate it. Guess you have to much freedom right? To much free speech? The only reason your able to say that is because you live here. In other places you could be put in jail for treason. You are blessed to have what you do and have the right to an opinion. Your a selfish person, Thats my two cents.

Mega Glitch

Flutter Fox

yum_strawberry

Self Entitled

'Because dammit! This is America I get what I want!"

Also, quit plastering my flag all over your s**t when you go backpacking across Europe.. Canada earned our politeness, and I'll be dammed if you try to play yourself off as Canadian. My folks lived in Germany for four years, and they constantly saw Americans go through just covered in Canadian merchandise.. Some of them had really thick Texan accents too, the locals weren't fooled for a moment.
I doubt that any self-respecting Canadian would go out decked in overtly Canadian merchandise unless it was some kind of thing that required them to do that (Like school trips to another country where the staff thinks it would be just wonderful to use your students as a nationalist billboard... ). Granted I'm not Canadian, but the Canadians that I know wouldn't be caught dead doing that. It's not that they'd be trying to hide where they're from, it's that they wouldn't care/would think it's obnoxious.

Familiar Explorer

4,950 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
You want people in america to stop being such dicks? Try changing yourself first.

Anxious Friend

Just like any nation there is not one way to describe Americans. As an American myself, there is not just one way to describe myself. Every nation has both good and bad, both in people, politics, and beliefs.

We have our faults but we have much greatness. There is no single way to describe Americans.

Witty Sex Symbol

12,950 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Clouddnine
I hate when people put all Americans in one category and then claim to not be judgemetal, in general, about anything. Every country has its faults. I love America, our government needs a reality check, they dont represent us in a way they should. Most Americans are generous, we do charitys, we help other countrys when a hurricane hits, as if you are our damn problem. Do you expect us to take care of you, yet you hate us? Makes sense. If we are so greedy, dont ask for money when you need it, because we ourselves are struggling and then still vote or rally, or send help your way or military support when you are invaded. Personally I dont think other countries need our help, if you dont like us, dont come to us when you want something. A bunch of complaining pussies. Americans have our own problems with our own government, your liking of us as a whole is not one of them. Also if your an American and hate it, get the ******** out. Go live in Africa and lets see how bad you hate it. Guess you have to much freedom right? To much free speech? The only reason your able to say that is because you live here. In other places you could be put in jail for treason. You are blessed to have what you do and have the right to an opinion. Your a selfish person, Thats my two cents.

Just to note:
Not all Americans are blessed to have near no money near no food or help.
The government isn't always doing what it should for people. I have experienced it for myself.
Mind you I get medicaid now and food assistance but I went a good 2-3 years when I could have used it and the government made it a pain in the a** for my parents to get anything. So you can see why I have my issues being in America. I also have never had the chance to GO any other place. Most people who don't like being here anymore have a good reason. Sure I can say yeah they've helped me now but they took their time.
Its not like we just dislike being here for the hell of it.
I think they are people like anyone else.. the only difference is that because they live in a first world economy.. they tend to be more well off than the rest of the world. This tends to lead to uncaring, indifferent , arrogant or charitable attitudes toward 3rd world nations. Americans don't really pay that much attention to what their countries foreign policy.. buts that is because maybe of the things the government does is not really talked about or understood by most people.

Americans live in a wealthy country so they can afford to eat often and gain weight. It is hard wired to want to eat. They however tend to eat highly processed unhealthy foods with high amounts of fat and sodium and sugar and etc and this causes health problems.

One of the things American society is trying to do is to stop bullying and to stop unhealthy diets. On t.v. many new series are coming out. Some series are very stupid and controversial like for example : "jersey shore".

I'm American myself by the way, and I live in New York

Romantic Poster

10,250 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
        Being an American, I find that we tend to be pretty lazy. I also find that we make some pretty stupid decisions.

A good example is our military. I don't see why we go to countries and stay there for YEARS and then we're like, oh there was never a threat hurhur our bad. Like really? I'm so glad my brother didn't join the military. =_=

As for lazy, I just think we tend be lazier because we have all these nice things. iPhones and other electronics. Sure they're nice, but maybe we take a little too much advantage of them.

Sure we have people that can be ignorant and we think we're the best, but I think other countries have some people that are the same way. America shouldn't be defined by the rude people; yet sadly it is. We're not all proud people that think we're the best and only country in the world, and all of definitely aren't extreme Christians that want to shove our beliefs down people's throats.

America is made of thousands, millions, billions of people. Most of us are immigrants. We have lots of cultures and a lot to offer. Sure we aren't the best country in the world and we have many things we need to work on, but what country in the world doesn't need a little work?

Aged Fatcat

LogicalFallacies
Clouddnine

Just to note:
Not all Americans are blessed to have near no money near no food or help.
The government isnt always doing what it should for people. I have experienced it for myself.
Mind you I get medicaid now and food assistance but I went a good 2-3 years when I could have used it and the government made it a pain in the a** for my parents to get anything. So you can see why I have my issues being in America. I also have never had the chance to GO any other place. Most people who dont like being here anymore have a good reason. Sure I can say yeah theyve helped me now but they took their time.
Its not like we just dislike being here for the hell of it.

Oh wah, Im on sooner care, wic and food stamps, up to my head in bills, school and work, plus a kid. Im not complaining. Life is hard, its not easy. Every day you are going to struggle with something, its the same anywhere you go in the world. But Americans are still blessed, the fact we have government help is a blessing, tax payers are paying for that help. Im thankful, because without that help id be worse off. Everyone wants to blame each other for everything instead of looking in the mirror. We expect to much, life doensnt work that way. We take what we get and work for the rest. I work my a** off and Im still happy to be an American, I hate my politicians, still love America. Because most Americans are kind, we do a lot for each other. Those Americans who make us look bad, stupid, ignorant, I ignore it. In the end Im going to bed alive and waking up alive, some countries have people who worry if they will live tomorrow, eat tomorrow, some places children start working at 8 making nothing, some families all live under one roof with no carpet and an out house. Everyone can make all the excuses they want, Americans have it damn good!

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
It's the best country in the world. Period.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image

[********]

[********]

User Image

Dangerous Builder

6,000 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Nerd 50
As a whole, I don't really like America. Good stuff comes out of the U.S., just like with pretty much anywhere, but I can't ignore that there's a lot of bad stuff too.
The relations with Cuba (I have been raised as, to say the least, a left-wing Labour supporter by my family, and if we worship anyone, it's Che Guevara and Fidel Castro), the Vietnam war, the Iraq war, the baby beauty pageants, the racism (I know other places have their history with racism, especially my very own Britain, but I'm pointing out the things I dislike about America here), the way they just seem to manufacture 'celebrities' who have no talents in any field whatsoever. I could go on for a very long time about the things I hate about the U.S.
However, there are things I do like. They make a good film, they do have some good bands (My Chemical Romance smile ) and not all Americans are fast-food-crazed, reality-tv-obsessed, gun-toting racists who complain that gay people have too much freedom. The vast majority, or at least a significant portion of Americans are nice people smile Most of the problems I have with America are based with the government.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff