Welcome to Gaia! ::

Agree entirely! Just thought I'd say that.
Reason # Whatever # we are on: People Who Cuss.

Maybe not everyone does it. Maybe people don't jump on those that do. But, I find it so funny when people throw a fit over those who do not type out words or use correct grammar, yet, those people are cussed out. Cussing makes people look like idiots. Even then, when you usually cuss, it is slang. The real meaning of the word isn't portrayed properly. Plus people use cuss words as nouns when they are verbs and verbs when they are nouns. You claim to be smart and know how to grammar. Then why are you using slang cuss words! rolleyes
Vinstepula

Maybe not everyone does it. Maybe people don't jump on those that do. But, I find it so funny when people throw a fit over those who do not type out words or use correct grammar, yet, those people are cussed out. Cussing makes people look like idiots. Even then, when you usually cuss, it is slang. The real meaning of the word isn't portrayed properly. Plus people use cuss words as nouns when they are verbs and verbs when they are nouns. You claim to be smart and know how to grammar. Then why are you using slang cuss words! rolleyes
It may not be a cuss word, but the irony is still hilarious.
~Seishin~
Vinstepula

Oh man. My stomach hurts I'm laughing so hard.
”Aylen”
Well, in the Writer’s forum, we have closet Christopher Paolini, Stephanie Meyer, and general vampire fans.

I suppose that makes me an uncloseted vampire fan. wink Oh, well. At least I’m a vampire fan who knows not to tipe lyke dis. Nice rant.
Lydia Trebond
~Seishin~
Vinstepula

Aside from the fact that she has no idea what she's talking about. Honestly, the anti-cussing people need to stop promoting this useless ideology about swearing as it has quite a few problems with the argument.
Vinstepula

I agree one-hundred ******** percent!

Most retarded and/or senseless post ever. Congratulations.
Wahoo! Thank you for this thread! I once logged on to the WF, looking for some good old chat about the W part of that abbreviation, and I swear, all I saw was, "WHO ELSE LOVES ERAGON?!" "Can you read my poem?" "Hi Writers!" and "MANGA!" I was too afraid to come back for about a week.

War and Peace,

-Gemini
I think I want this thread to bear my children...or vice versa. For some reason I keep hearing every post read in the voice of Foamy the Squirrel ranting in my head. I wish I had something to add, but I'm drawing a blank, so I'll just sit back and worship it.
Lydia Trebond
~Seishin~
Vinstepula

Hey, *I* never claimed that I was good at grammar. razz I was just pointing out what people do.
Reason Number Something-or-another: you post an extract of your story and 90% of it is devoted to what your character is wearing. Seriously, we don't care. You asked us for input on your STORY, not fashion advice, so give us some frickin' story. The average Writers' Forum regular really couldn't give a rat's arse about whether your female vampire is wearing a midnight-black corset with blood-red ribbons. A mention is fine if you want us to picture how your character looks, but what your character is wearing does NOT warrant a whole page of description. You're boring us to death. Your character's personality and development does NOT lie in her clothes. Get that into your measly 14-year-old-girl head.
My mom always said that cussing is the mark of someone with an inferior vocabulary. The main problem with cuss words is that everyone knows what they mean; I always said something that meant generally the same thing as a cuss word and then walked away as whoever I was cussing at tried to figure out if I'd insulted him or her or not. It worked surprisingly well until college.
V for Venereal Disease
Vinstepula

I agree one-hundred ******** percent!

Most retarded and/or senseless post ever. Congratulations.
Nishin throws confetti with a broad grin on her face.

Wait, did we mention useless spam/bump threads? I actually forgot.
Cleckywolf
My mom always said that cussing is the mark of someone with an inferior vocabulary.

There's a quote somewhere that the people who claim that swearing is a sign of a weak vocabulary have themselves the weak vocabulary.

Vinstepula

Give.

It.

The ********]

Up.

There is a difference between professionalism and just being immature. Swearing does not equal bad kid who needs to go sit in a corner. I know we've all been told that, but swearing does not actually make you go blind or make your palms hairy. There aren't people waiting in bushes with bars of nasty soap to shove down your throat if you let a "b***h" or "s**t" slip on the street. I'll have you know my damn vocabulary is fine. Let's cut the self righteous crap, please.

Anyway, to the OP: thank you so much for this thread. It warmed my heart.

On the swearing vein, here's something that bugs me about the WF:

Those posts asking whether swearing, romance, etc. are acceptable in stories and to what extent. I never understand the point of those threads. If you want to write romance and swear while doing so, fine. If you don't, don't. But why would you ask everyone else how much they like romance or swearing so they can gauge how much (or little) to write in their story? That's like pitching an idea and asking how much it'll be worth (often disguised as "do you think people will read this?" ) Oh wait. People do that too.
Zeo
I know we've all been told that, but swearing does not actually make you go blind or make your palms hairy.
That's masturbation.

Quote:
Those posts asking whether swearing, romance, etc. are acceptable in stories and to what extent. I never understand the point of those threads. If you want to write romance and swear while doing so, fine. If you don't, don't. But why would you ask everyone else how much they like romance or swearing so they can gauge how much (or little) to write in their story? That's like pitching an idea and asking how much it'll be worth (often disguised as "do you think people will read this?" ) Oh wait. People do that too.
Well, depending on setting, cursing may be so out of place, and certain romances may make little to no sense. However, in the general sense, romance and cussing are acceptable. On the topic of cussing, I suggest only in thoughts, quotes, and dialogue--never narration, even if first person. I just think it's just weird. Whatever. People can write what they want.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff