Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
I am The Compendium
rani_asakura
I just assumed since everyone's making snap judgements I could join in on the fun. You just seem to me like the kind of person who has no idea what contructive critism is.

Physician, heal thyself.

What???
rani_asakura
I am The Compendium
rani_asakura
I just assumed since everyone's making snap judgements I could join in on the fun. You just seem to me like the kind of person who has no idea what contructive critism is.

Physician, heal thyself.

What???

It means fix the problems you have before pointing the same one out in others. It's an Aesop's fable, though admittedly not that popular of one.
rani_asakura
The Phoenix Rises Again
rani_asakura
People who call themselves writers or poets and the only place they share their work is on this website. They haven't been to school for it they haven't taken any classes. They haven't been published or even looked into getting published, and yet they think they know everything there is to know about writing. It makes me want to smack them.

Are you talking about people who know the basics of writing, such as researching, making sense, not treating the readers like idiots, proofreading before posting, reading the rules, and other common sense?

What about people who are freelance editors or taking classes for that (I do both)? What about people who have had previous experience with publishing companies (I have)?

Who says you have to be published to tell you to present your work professionally? Especially when you learn that since kindergarten? Does one need to be a teacher to tell you things like that (I used to be one)?

Ok first of all if you would have read my post correctly you would not have typed half of that. Secondly I never said that you had to be published to be a writer. I simply said that people who haven't done any of that and think they know everything irritate me. I am not yet published but I am looking into it. I don't like criticizm from people like I was talking about in my first post who think they know everything yet most of what they have to say is not correct. If you are a writer and you know what your doing all the more to you, but if you have no idea what you're talkng about I don't want you correcting my work. End of story.

This response makes my questions valid. Define 'think they know everything'. I've been accused of that by pointing out a need for commas. I have been accused of not being correct when citing from Scientific American Mind, the dictionary, and Science News.

This thread has had a page long argument with someone who claimed their beta was mean because they corrected them. We need to know exactly where you are coming from in order to trust your side. It's not new to have people say 'you're not published, so who has to listen to you?' after they were told to use capitals.

The reason I asked is because people who tend to say 'stop thinking you know everything' have argued against everything I posted, regardless of my credentials.

4,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Moral Gutpunch
rani_asakura
I am The Compendium
rani_asakura

Physician, heal thyself.

What???

It means fix the problems you have before pointing the same one out in others. It's an Aesop's fable, though admittedly not that popular of one.

Ah, thank you.

4,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
The Phoenix Rises Again
rani_asakura
The Phoenix Rises Again
rani_asakura
People who call themselves writers or poets and the only place they share their work is on this website. They haven't been to school for it they haven't taken any classes. They haven't been published or even looked into getting published, and yet they think they know everything there is to know about writing. It makes me want to smack them.

Are you talking about people who know the basics of writing, such as researching, making sense, not treating the readers like idiots, proofreading before posting, reading the rules, and other common sense?

What about people who are freelance editors or taking classes for that (I do both)? What about people who have had previous experience with publishing companies (I have)?

Who says you have to be published to tell you to present your work professionally? Especially when you learn that since kindergarten? Does one need to be a teacher to tell you things like that (I used to be one)?

Ok first of all if you would have read my post correctly you would not have typed half of that. Secondly I never said that you had to be published to be a writer. I simply said that people who haven't done any of that and think they know everything irritate me. I am not yet published but I am looking into it. I don't like criticizm from people like I was talking about in my first post who think they know everything yet most of what they have to say is not correct. If you are a writer and you know what your doing all the more to you, but if you have no idea what you're talkng about I don't want you correcting my work. End of story.

This response makes my questions valid. Define 'think they know everything'. I've been accused of that by pointing out a need for commas. I have been accused of not being correct when citing from Scientific American Mind, the dictionary, and Science News.

This thread has had a page long argument with someone who claimed their beta was mean because they corrected them. We need to know exactly where you are coming from in order to trust your side. It's not new to have people say 'you're not published, so who has to listen to you?' after they were told to use capitals.

The reason I asked is because people who tend to say 'stop thinking you know everything' have argued against everything I posted, regardless of my credentials.

If you know what you're talking about then I will listen. Although, the people I was talking about are the people who correct others in a mean way and don't know what they are talking about. They have no idea what constructive critism is and they are wrong most of the time. If you correct my work in a constructive way and you are right in your corrections then fine. I just don't appreciate when people correct my work when they are wrong and they think they are right and they do it in an offensive way.
rani_asakura

If you know what you're talking about then I will listen. Although, the people I was talking about are the people who correct others in a mean way and don't know what they are talking about. They have no idea what constructive critism is and they are wrong most of the time. If you correct my work in a constructive way and you are right in your corrections then fine. I just don't appreciate when people correct my work when they are wrong and they think they are right and they do it in an offensive way.

I have a quick question, if you don't mind. What is defined as rude or offensive to you? Can you post an example?

I ask because some people really do know what they are talking about and yet have a habit of being very blunt or come off as 'rude' when they say things. There's a big difference between constructive and non-constructive criticism as I'm sure you know.

"Your story sucks!" or "You're stupid for writing this," isn't constructive and anyone who comments using chat speak or bad grammar I usually disregard whether they like or not. However, "Your main character is a ******** b***h. She does nothing but complain while demanding things of others," is, in my opinion, perfectly acceptable criticism. I feel as long as they offer up ample explanation for why they feel the way they do, how they say it shouldn't really matter as long as they are clear. After all, it's not like they are trying to insult you personally.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't understand that and take stuff said about their work personally when they really shouldn't, especially when they are the ones who chose to post their work up on the internet where people can freely post their thoughts without consequence because of their anonymity. These are my thoughts on it anyway.

4,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Kairi Nightingale
rani_asakura

I have a quick question, if you don't mind. What is defined as rude or offensive to you? Can you post an example?

I ask because some people really do know what they are talking about and yet have a habit of being very blunt or come off as 'rude' when they say things. There's a big difference between constructive and non-constructive criticism as I'm sure you know.

"Your story sucks!" or "You're stupid for writing this," isn't constructive and anyone who comments using chat speak or bad grammar I usually disregard whether they like or not. However, "Your main character is a ******** b***h. She does nothing but complain while demanding things of others," is, in my opinion, perfectly acceptable criticism. I feel as long as they offer up ample explanation for why they feel the way they do, how they say it shouldn't really matter as long as they are clear. After all, it's not like they are trying to insult you personally.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't understand that and take stuff said about their work personally when they really shouldn't, especially when they are the ones who chose to post their work up on the internet where people can freely post their thoughts without consequence because of their anonymity. These are my thoughts on it anyway.

If you read my previous posts I do give examples. Sorry but I don't feel like going through different forums to find specific examples, but there are many people who say those things that I mentioned in previous posts.
Kairi Nightingale

rani_asakura
If you read my previous posts I do give examples. Sorry but I don't feel like going through different forums to find specific examples, but there are many people who say those things that I mentioned in previous posts.

I think Rani_Asakura is talking about this post when she said that, but I'm not sure.
rani_asakura
Also by the way you are the kind of person that makes me not want to post on here. There is a difference between constructive criticism and just being plain mean and nasty. There are way too many people on here that have no manners and are just out there to put people down. If you want to point out things I did wrong in my work I'm all for it, but I'm so sick of people coming on here and telling other people that they have no business writing, and this poem has no hope, or keep this to yourself. Who are you to tell someone what they can and can't write and who they can or can't share it with. Shame on all of you who do this. I was told that by my entire family and some people on here and yet here I am making something of myself with my writing. If you would like I'd show you some of my work, but not if you're the kind of person I think you are.

Questionable Codger

8,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
This conversation now seems far less important compared to the horror going on in this thread.

Since when was the WF a chatroom for families?
Lahrette
This conversation now seems far less important compared to the horror going on in this thread.

Two people going off topic is horror now? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a bad topic and it should get removed to the recycling bin, but it doesn't seem like something that's worth getting worked up over.

Were you online when we got that Troll thread? It was like, the one with that guy who stole that other guy's crappy story?

Questionable Codger

8,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Maltese_Falcon91
Lahrette

Two people going off topic is horror now? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a bad topic and it should get removed to the recycling bin, but it doesn't seem like something that's worth getting worked up over.

Were you online when we got that Troll thread? It was like, the one with that guy who stole that other guy's crappy story?

I was more horrified by the grammar and spelling.

Heh, no I wasn't. Now I wish I had been - sounds interesting xd
Lahrette

Well... yeah. It's bad, but come on, this is the internet. If incorrect grammar is the most horrifying thing you've ever seen on here, well, I deeply envy you.

Seriously, one of the images on Wikipedia's Carpal Tunnel Syndrome article is more horrifying to me than that.
Lahrette

To be honest? It was more depressing than anything else. At first it started off normal, this guy posted a story, people started harping on his grammar. Then this other guy came in, they started yelling at one another, and by like, the third page it was pretty obvious that some trolling was afoot.

Of course, some people didn't quite clue into that, and after about five pages they were still nitpicking grammar. Then they linked to that thread to LD or something, and this other girl started trying to get a rise out of them.

Questionable Codger

8,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Maltese_Falcon91
Lahrette

Well... yeah. It's bad, but come on, this is the internet. If incorrect grammar is the most horrifying thing you've ever seen on here, well, I deeply envy you.

Seriously, one of the images on Wikipedia's Carpal Tunnel Syndrome article is more horrifying to me than that.

My horror filters tend to change based on what kind of site I'm on/what I'm looking at. Thus grammar this bad is horrific to me here, but probably wouldn't be elsewhere.
They aren't the nicest pictures, no. It is probably weird that I still find the bad grammar more horrifying though...
Maltese_Falcon91

Lahrette

To be honest? It was more depressing than anything else. At first it started off normal, this guy posted a story, people started harping on his grammar. Then this other guy came in, they started yelling at one another, and by like, the third page it was pretty obvious that some trolling was afoot.

Of course, some people didn't quite clue into that, and after about five pages they were still nitpicking grammar. Then they linked to that thread to LD or something, and this other girl started trying to get a rise out of them.

Ouch. Now I'm glad I wasn't online then.
Lahrette
My horror filters tend to change based on what kind of site I'm on/what I'm looking at. Thus grammar this bad is horrific to me here, but probably wouldn't be elsewhere.
They aren't the nicest pictures, no. It is probably weird that I still find the bad grammar more horrifying though...

Meh, makes sense to me.
Ugh, tell me about it. I do not need that picture in my head when my wrists start to ache.

Lahrette
Ouch. Now I'm glad I wasn't online then.

Thankfully it got deleted the day after it got put up. I thought the mods usually put that sort of stuff in the Recycle Bin, but one was just removed from the face of Gaia. I think one of the users involved posted a link to the Da Untouchables thread in the Writing Dragons thread, but it's a broken link now.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
So, are we including circular vague arguments to boost your own ego or what?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff