Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Codger

MuffinEatinGir

I did mean subjective...I don't know why I thought it was objective...o.o I'm also very much realize that Dino's weren't running about with Neanderthals. Also I am very subjective about everything.

I'm glad you realise that. I tend to avoid grey areas wherever possible so we're coming at this from completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Quote:
I try not to. I've gotten pretty open minded about being wrong.

Then why do you persist in finding and sometimes outright making loopholes as to why you're correct?

Quote:
Not necessarily, unless a person recognizes it as being the truth, it is not. (We could argue this all day., but you are going to have your opinion and I'm going to have mine.) Once a person comes to recognize that the "information" is true or known, it becomes a "fact" to that individual person. As such if I didn't know that Sumerian's existed to me, it wouldn't be a fact as I would be unaware as to what a Sumerian is/was. Never mind the hows and whys.

You can be unaware that the Sumerians exist. It's still a fact - it might be unknown to you but is still a fact. Telling me never to mind the hows and whys is just daft.

Quote:
I would recognize that the sky was blue, someone who is color blind would say bull s**t. For them it would be a "fact" that the sky was black, or white or green or what ever color they saw it as.. If it looks purple to them, there is little since in telling them its blue because that's not what they are going to see... For us who are not color blind, it would be a "fact" that it was blue.

This would be one of those times when colour-blind people are unavoidably wrong. The three primary colours of light are: red, green and blue. If you can't see one of those, that doesn't make a red flower or a green leaf or a blue sky any other colour. It would be a fact that it was blue, just not a fact that they have any way of knowing. Do you think that bacteria sprung into existence when the first microscope was made? I don't know what was with the "fact" though.

Quote:
A fact is to know something and believe it, if you don't know of somethings existence or believe in it, is it still a fact?

No. A fact is not "knowing something and believing it" - a fact is something that is true, verifiable and authentic. If some remote tribe has never seen people on horseback before and thinks the Spanish troops are centaurs, that's not a fact to them that centaurs are arriving - they're just plain mistaken even if it is an error born out of easily correctable ignorance.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Why do these people stop posting once I ask 'what did you expect our responses to be?'

Did I discover something awesome?

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Why do these people stop posting once I ask 'what did you expect our responses to be?'

Did I discover something awesome?

They flee if you ask any questions (Klaark got rid of one in fourteen minutes by asking if the story-line had to be terribly manga-ey.) and I think it's because they're terrified of using their brains and actually putting some goddamn effort in and paying attention to what they're doing.

Sparkly Fatcat

8,125 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
No, they wait and come back. They certainly don't expect for three or four people to make them feel like the scum.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Firlodge_3

They flee if you ask any questions (Klaark got rid of one in fourteen minutes by asking if the story-line had to be terribly manga-ey.) and I think it's because they're terrified of using their brains and actually putting some goddamn effort in and paying attention to what they're doing.

got it. We need to ask them more of that.

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

got it. We need to ask them more of that.

Do we have to? They're so fun to play with.

Still, I think asking them a few questions should suffice.

Pest-b-gon automater
What responses are you expecting in this forum--let alone this thread-- that aren't what you'er already getting that comply with what the rules say this forum is about? Why exactly did you expect praise for what you knew was a bad idea? For the love of all that is holy, would you please put some effort in and actually pay attention to what you're doing?
That's an interesting question. Are you going to apply to to all the new folks that run rampant in this thread? (Should I answer?)

Either way, this place is horribly cluttered with spam isn't it?

Invisible Codger

EdanaDesmond
That's an interesting question. Are you going to apply to to all the new folks that run rampant in this thread? (Should I answer?)

Wait. What's an interesting question?

EdanaDesmond
Are you going to apply to to all the new folks that run rampant in this thread?
I'm not sure what you're asking.

EdnaDesmond
(Should I answer?)

I don't know. Should you?

I agree that this place is horribly cluttered with spam but this thread has helped a lot.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
EdanaDesmond
Are you going to apply to to all the new folks that run rampant in this thread?

Why shouldn't we? when one agrees to the TOS of any site, they are essentially signing a contract that they will behave the way the site expects them to. Here, the TOS expects all users to abide by the rules. Those who have violated the TOS should be asked what they expected to get out to such actions if they are displeased with the results they should have know would happen.

EdanaDesmond

We have been for years. For some reason 'Writers Forum' attracts people who can't read in the slightest.
Quote:
What responses are you expecting in this forum--let alone this thread-- that aren't what you'er already getting that comply with what the rules say this forum is about? Why exactly did you expect praise for what you knew was a bad idea? For the love of all that is holy, would you please put some effort in and actually pay attention to what you're doing?

This is a good question, I was wondering if the lot of you where going to apply that particular question to the "new" folks running around in here.

And I don't know if I should answer, that's a rather mixed bag of nuts.

That's good, then. I think the last time I posted in the writing forum was way back in 2007, alot has changed....

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
EdanaDesmond
Quote:

This is a good question, I was wondering if the lot of you where going to apply that particular question to the "new" folks running around in here.

And I don't know if I should answer, that's a rather mixed bag of nuts.

That's good, then. I think the last time I posted in the writing forum was way back in 2007, alot has changed....

Don't worry, there's still smart people around here (and the last two regs who don't like fanfiction stopped trying to argue about it).
Smart people are a good thing. XD
They tend to rule the sheeple.

So besides being a guard against idiocy and spam, what else is talked about in here?

I think I love Reason: 20

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
EdanaDesmond

So besides being a guard against idiocy and spam, what else is talked about in here?

Any discussion (that's relevant; 'I like books' or 'what kind of book would you read' is not acceptable) or need for brainstorming need.

I often ask for help when thinking about how to progress my plots ties my brain in a knot.

Also, real help. It doesn't have to be graduate school level of knowledge, just telling people grammar mistakes they made, science goofs or ignorance, plot suggestions, any relevant facts (thank god you know what one is), any common sense (even smart people have brainfarts), and anything that helps with fflow or cohesiveness of something.
Hmm, I can understand how that feels. This is going to be a good source of inspiration I think.
I'm iffie about facts...but I deal in pre-historic studies and that changes every time something new is found. That and much of my study is subjective and speculation, no concrete facts yet. (We shall get there one day damn it.)

So I try to write things that are easier to find (and has facts that are known qualities), I'm not much interested in writing about Australopithecus, even if it might make for an interesting story. I'm a mystery type person myself, so I'll be nice to have some help in that area. (I hate books that don't make you guess until the end.)

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
EdanaDesmond

So I try to write things that are easier to find (and has facts that are known qualities), I'm not much interested in writing about Australopithecus, even if it might make for an interesting story. I'm a mystery type person myself, so I'll be nice to have some help in that area. (I hate books that don't make you guess until the end.)

I just read Catching Fire (not the Hunger Games one) and it had some pretty good theories (and some decent facts) about early man in it. Also, I know a bit from recent documentaries.

Besides, sometimes simple facts can help here (an squid is not a fish).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff