Welcome to Gaia! ::

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Firlodge_3
"leaves the forum..." moron doesn't count until they have a shorter name. Shirker moron, maybe?

I can't believe we forgot the naming moron though!

'Scarded stupid' moron.

Also we need to separate the chatspeak morons into 'proud' and 'looking to fight.'

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3
"leaves the forum..." moron doesn't count until they have a shorter name. Shirker moron, maybe?

I can't believe we forgot the naming moron though!

'Scarded stupid' moron.

Also we need to separate the chatspeak morons into 'proud' and 'looking to fight.'

What's a scarded stupid moron?
How do you tell a 'proud' chatspeak moron apart from a 'fight-seeker' chatspeak moron or a plain lazy chatspeak moron?

What about the rouge angles of satin ones?

Lahrette
Something like this? I've got two examples there, a serious one and a more anti-guide type one. Except it would be better than my examples, because I'm not exactly the first choice when it comes to writing dictionaries.

YES! Exactly like that. It's a DNP thread though. May I do a something similar and may I quote you?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Firlodge_3

How do you tell a 'proud' chatspeak moron apart from a 'fight-seeker' chatspeak moron or a plain lazy chatspeak moron?

'Scared Stupid' would be someone who abandons the WF entirely (probably posting on LJ, Twitter, their journal, or the GD about how much we suck) when it turns out we expect them to do work (especially change things). You can see this in the spammer who posted 'poetry' five times and got mad when told to make sense and the thread where two people are writing racist probable-Mary-Sue bullcrap.

The proud chatspeakers just try to laugh their incompetence off. The fighters insult you (see the rp help thread). The lazy ones just outright say 'I'm not gonna' and try to change the subject (or are too lazy to say they won't and try to redirect things even after the third post repeating the same subject. The REAL lazy ones are the ones that delete everything after the first post telling them to spell correctly.

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

'Scared Stupid' would be someone who abandons the WF entirely (probably posting on LJ, Twitter, their journal, or the GD about how much we suck) when it turns out we expect them to do work (especially change things). You can see this in the spammer who posted 'poetry' five times and got mad when told to make sense and the thread where two people are writing racist probable-Mary-Sue bullcrap.

The proud chatspeakers just try to laugh their incompetence off. The fighters insult you (see the rp help thread). The lazy ones just outright say 'I'm not gonna' and try to change the subject (or are too lazy to say they won't and try to redirect things even after the third post repeating the same subject. The REAL lazy ones are the ones that delete everything after the first post telling them to spell correctly.

Ah, we need a better name for the RAOS ones ... RAOS moron?

Do we have enough for bingo yet?

Questionable Codger

8,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Firlodge_3

Lahrette
Something like this? I've got two examples there, a serious one and a more anti-guide type one. Except it would be better than my examples, because I'm not exactly the first choice when it comes to writing dictionaries.

YES! Exactly like that. It's a DNP thread though. May I do a something similar and may I quote you?

Sure smile

Invisible Codger

Lahrette
Firlodge_3

Lahrette

Sure smile

It'll have to wait until tomorrow...maybe even the weekend but thanks!

Invisible Ghost

Don't forget the "It's Fiction!" moron. The one who replies to every plot-hole or awkward jump in logic or any other problem within their story with "It's fiction, I can do what I want!".

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
the hidden ghost
Don't forget the "It's Fiction!" moron. The one who replies to every plot-hole or awkward jump in logic or any other problem within their story with "It's fiction, I can do what I want!".

Oh, I hate that! A story doesn't really have to be realistic, but it does have to be believable. Two very different things, they are. There's this thing called "The Willing Suspension of Disbelief" that allows readers to accept certain things, like the existence of magic, or dragons, or talking elephants. But it only stretches so far. The best way to break the willing suspension of disbelief to is make things inconsistent. Don't have a character get caught by a regular net in one scene, when several chapters the character had the ability to teleport with ease and used it to escape an army of villains. Don't explicitly express that something is impossible in the story universe, but then have it happen later on with no explanation or acknowledgement. Having completely random s**t happen with no explanation also kind of breaks it for some readers.

Invisible Ghost

marshmallowcreampie
the hidden ghost

Oh, I hate that! A story doesn't really have to be realistic, but it does have to be believable. Two very different things, they are. There's this thing called "The Willing Suspension of Disbelief" that allows readers to accept certain things, like the existence of magic, or dragons, or talking elephants. But it only stretches so far. The best way to break the willing suspension of disbelief to is make things inconsistent. Don't have a character get caught by a regular net in one scene, when several chapters the character had the ability to teleport with ease and used it to escape an army of villains. Don't explicitly express that something is impossible in the story universe, but then have it happen later on with no explanation or acknowledgement. Having completely random s**t happen with no explanation also kind of breaks it for some readers.

Really, it's something they should be taught about in primary school.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
the hidden ghost

Really, it's something they should be taught about in primary school.

There's a lot of stuff they don't teach kids in school but totally should. Like the concept of source bias, I never figured that out until the internet taught me. I didn't learn it in any kind of school until I was a college freshman. cat_rofl I think part of the problem with a lot of ignorant young people in writing, though, is that many are part of a culture that says reading is for nerds, especially when it's reading FOR FUN. Even worse when they can't distinguish quality. If you can't read a book and figure what's right and what's wrong with it, how can anyone expect you to write something of decent quality?

Invisible Codger

Right. I'll go make the thread. Please continue finding morons for WF bingo squares in the meantime.

Dapper Lunatic

11,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
Rule (insert what ever number we're on): Ego tripping
This isn't something that is inherently a newbie thing in the WF; it is however a rampant problem.
Writing has many subjective parts to it and beyond the basics of grammar, spelling, punctuation and such it is important to remember where the line between opinion and fact resides. As well as when comments and rants start slipping down the slippery slope of pretentiousness.

Criticism is to the WF as spam is to the chatterbox, the life blood. Still critiquing or commenting is not an excuse to fluff your own ego. I'm not referring to a critique others might not agree with; think more along the lines of:

Quote:
I'd be glad to help you fix your mediocre story, I have a huge vocabulary and so much writing experience under my belt I can dictate to you exactly how you should do things to be successful.... Like how I am. Often times people go out of their way to ask me writing questions. I have more experience creating great character than you do so don't feel shy about asking me questions.
Did I mention that I'm a very good writer?

It's equally annoying to be egotistical when giving suggestions as it is to be irrationally defensive when asking for criticism.

Invisible Codger

It's ready! I need to go be educated now but in the meantime, enjoy!

Invisible Codger

Mock Persona
Rule (insert what ever number we're on): Ego tripping
This isn't something that is inherently a newbie thing in the WF; it is however a rampant problem.
Writing has many subjective parts to it and beyond the basics of grammar, spelling, punctuation and such it is important to remember where the line between opinion and fact resides. As well as when comments and rants start slipping down the slippery slope of pretentiousness.

Criticism is to the WF as spam is to the chatterbox, the life blood. Still critiquing or commenting is not an excuse to fluff your own ego. I'm not referring to a critique others might not agree with; think more along the lines of:

Quote:
I'd be glad to help you fix your mediocre story, I have a huge vocabulary and so much writing experience under my belt I can dictate to you exactly how you should do things to be successful.... Like how I am. Often times people go out of their way to ask me writing questions. I have more experience creating great character than you do so don't feel shy about asking me questions.
Did I mention that I'm a very good writer?

It's equally annoying to be egotistical when giving suggestions as it is to be irrationally defensive when asking for criticism.

Damn. Planet, meet Ego. I think you're evenly matched.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff