Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Miz Lina
I am The Compendium
Miz Lina
I, for one, cannot believe that we are STILL having the "eyes are not orbs" discussion. I've been in the WF for seven years, and somehow- SOMEHOW- people are still using it. Aside from the fact that it's totally bogus, what a ******** creepy piece of imagery.

Back when people did MST's of bad fics, there was an absolutely perfect 'blueballs' joke about such imagery for blue eyes.

Hah, yep. I can get behind that.

It's like those really really bad Harlequins, in which the lead female character must be described as having "globes of breast". Why haven't people figured out yet that that is just not okay? Way to not have respect for yourself as a writer.

Two theories:
Supergirl theory: they want to see how many atrocities in writing they can get away with and for how many books until the publisher notices it's stupid

Enterprise theory: the book may be called 'romance' but it's actual point is to force the read to kill themselves (probably using the book).

Questionable Codger

8,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
I don't know, maybe you could use it in a horror?

"It shambled towards me and I readied my weapon, unable to take my eyes off its unusually large glowing orbs-"

*Snickers*. Or perhaps not...

Though seriously, who ever thoughts that "orbs" was an appropriate metaphor/cop-out/obscurity for the description of eyes? If I ever see anyone with orbs for eyes I'm screaming and running in the opposite direction. Before calling a psychologist to make sure I'm not going insane... well, MORE insane at least wink

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Lahrette
I don't know, maybe you could use it in a horror?

"It shambled towards me and I readied my weapon, unable to take my eyes off its unusually large glowing orbs-"

*Snickers*. Or perhaps not...

Though seriously, who ever thoughts that "orbs" was an appropriate metaphor/cop-out/obscurity for the description of eyes? If I ever see anyone with orbs for eyes I'm screaming and running in the opposite direction. Before calling a psychologist to make sure I'm not going insane... well, MORE insane at least wink

See, I wish that if orbs were going to resurge in popularity that cranial/cranium would as well. Orbs was just silly; cranium brought new levels of hilarity.

"Her cranium was perfectly shaped with two green orbs staring in fierce passiveness and quiet passion."

I wish we had a dictionary thread for bad literary synonyms. xd

Questionable Codger

8,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Rotsab M. Hyolf

See, I wish that if orbs were going to resurge in popularity that cranial/cranium would as well. Orbs was just silly; cranium brought new levels of hilarity.

"Her cranium was perfectly shaped with two green orbs staring in fierce passiveness and quiet passion."

Lol. I'd forgotten about cranium. Now that is hilarious,

We could always make our own thread for bad literary synonyms, complete with awesomely terrible examples biggrin

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Lahrette
Rotsab M. Hyolf

Lol. I'd forgotten about cranium. Now that is hilarious,

We could always make our own thread for bad literary synonyms, complete with awesomely terrible examples biggrin

We should do it! It'd be hilarious (and how many bad writers would use it as vindication in here? xD ).

Shirtless Wench

OMG, I would jump at the bad literary synonyms - but I think my mind would be forever in the gutter and I would come up with too many examples of orb tits and orbcicles.

I think breasts like orbs would hurt... You'd never be able to stomach sleep with those...

Questionable Codger

8,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Something like this? I've got two examples there, a serious one and a more anti-guide type one. Except it would be better than my examples, because I'm not exactly the first choice when it comes to writing dictionaries.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Someone needs to make a 'WF dumb idea' bingo game. The only problem would be knowing which flavor of stupid the poster was going for.

Invisible Codger

I am The Compendium
Someone needs to make a 'WF dumb idea' bingo game. The only problem would be knowing which flavor of stupid the poster was going for.

Let's see:

Chatspeak Moron
Purple Prose Moron
Tell-don't-show Moron

or we could just steal off of the tv tropes page for bad writing?

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Firlodge_3
I am The Compendium

Let's see:

Chatspeak Moron
Purple Prose Moron
Tell-don't-show Moron

We need the 'unintentionally racist' moron 'I'm specialer than you' moron, 'didn't read the rules' moron, The 'Stop telling me to do things' moron' and the 'Not writing properly is my lifestyle.'

Seriously, someone explain that one.

Also, what about the 'leaves the forum and never come back at the first sign of having to do work' moron. Do they count?

Questionable Codger

8,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
DarknessofHeavenandDreams
Firlodge_3
I am The Compendium

Let's see:

Chatspeak Moron
Purple Prose Moron
Tell-don't-show Moron

We need the 'unintentionally racist' moron 'I'm specialer than you' moron, 'didn't read the rules' moron, The 'Stop telling me to do things' moron' and the 'Not writing properly is my lifestyle.'

Also, what about the 'leaves the forum and never come back at the first sign of having to do work' moron. Do they count?

Edit: the last one is just another name for Chatspeak Moron, so just ignore it. Sorry about that.

I'm thinking they count. What about the Sexist Moron and the "but I'm only <age>" moron? Oh, and in memory of the "orbs" debacle, the "completely inaccurate but overused imagery" moron. Then there's also the "good spelling and grammar are optional" moron... (or perhaps you could call that the "gud spelin n gramar r opshunal" moron.)

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Lahrette
Firlodge_3
I am The Compendium

Let's see:

Chatspeak Moron
Purple Prose Moron
Tell-don't-show Moron

Edit: the last one is just another name for Chatspeak Moron, so just ignore it. Sorry about that.

I'm thinking they count. What about the Sexist Moron and the "but I'm only <age>" moron? Oh, and in memory of the "orbs" debacle, the "completely inaccurate but overused imagery" moron. Then there's also the "good spelling and grammar are optional" moron... (or perhaps you could call that the "gud spelin n gramar r opshunal" moron.)

Those count, although I think the latter is also 'chatspeak moron'. That or 'lifestyle abuse' moron.

Questionable Codger

8,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
I am The Compendium
Lahrette
Firlodge_3
I am The Compendium

Let's see:

Chatspeak Moron
Purple Prose Moron
Tell-don't-show Moron

Those count, although I think the latter is also 'chatspeak moron'. That or 'lifestyle abuse' moron.

That's the one I said was Chatspeak Moron - I kept it in for reference smile

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Lahrette
I am The Compendium
Lahrette
Firlodge_3
I am The Compendium

Let's see:

Chatspeak Moron
Purple Prose Moron
Tell-don't-show Moron

That's the one I said was Chatspeak Moron - I kept it in for reference smile

Makes sense.

Invisible Codger

"leaves the forum..." moron doesn't count until they have a shorter name. Shirker moron, maybe?

I can't believe we forgot the naming moron though!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff