Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reinna Astarel
[Nishin
Another reason - JAPAN IS DEAD TO ME! Seriously, you noobs make me ashamed to be 1/8 Japanese. Anime and manga are NOT accurate sources for Japanese culture. For accurate sources, you need to get off Gaia, or open a new tab or window, and google Japanese culture of whatever time period. OR you could get off your lazy a** and go to a library for books! You sicken me, you who don't research thouroghly. [EDIT] Or maybe you can just NOT SET YOUR STORY IN JAPAN. There are many other palces in the world to set a story, and you can even make one up.
Also, Japanese names are best if you don't make them up. And don't match the meaning of names to a character's personality perfectly, or the exact opposite of their personality. Your parents don't know what you'll be like in the future, and neither will the Japanese.
I just hope Korean animation doesn't become the next big thing. Then 7/8 of me will be ashamed.

WHAT? Mecha don't actually attack Tokyo every other week?
The Power Rangers do.
Quote:
They don't actually have giant spaceships that blast off to Mars in Japan?
Not yet, they don't.
Quote:
There isn't magic, vampires, or catgirls?
Unless you coutn Beastboy.

Quote:
LIES.
ASIAN SURPREMACY ALL THE WAY!

Whoo, started the tenth page! ^_^
Man this should be the stickies! Jeez, I want to gouge my eyes out at some of junk that gets posted here. ESPECIALLY MANGA/ANIME STORIES, such hackneyed and often random mess of kids cartoons (though Elfen Lied had a good strong, deep story that actually made sense amidst the blood and gore, other than that, all others fall to the bottom of the pile), makes my skin crawl *shivers*.

What I really hate is when people all of a sudden have a similar idea, almost like they ripped off plots on each other and expect us to help them with it.

Fantasy does not always imply hobbits, dragons, mystics and so forth (i.e. just puking up Tolkein every five posts). Try and put a spin on it, fantasy isn't just a confined space for God's Sake!

Vampires, another eyesore! While I love vampires to some capacity (i.e. the beautiful artwork of Victoria Frances gracing my walls of my writing space), not all horror has to be about them! There are other monsters too you know. Demons and Vampires aren't the only ones, there's wendigo's, ghosts, zombies (both cannibal kind and voodoo slave), werewolves, etc. Heck, even masked men with chainsaws are twice as scary as a pair of fangs and pale skin. Come on people, I would sit with a vampire and drink coffee with them under a full moon, that's how scary they are.

Then the rants about people not being original. Another eyesore! Be real people, the only way you're gonna stand out against the crowd is to go against the grain. Have Zombified vampire werewolf hellhound that eats hobbits for lunch, I don't care, but put a spin on it.

And if you're new, take time to listen. Sometimes it helps to go back and dissect your story to see what's wrong with it, instead of having fifty million people point out the mistakes and take it personally. It really makes our lives easier than having you post something you whipped up in five minutes and getting nasty remarks on it.

And people who type like they're in a hurry, come on, you're life isn't in danger and neither is your story. Take the time to type out your thoughts, it makes it easier for us to decipher the problem and help you faster. Ok, you're not a secret agent and this isn't the Da Vinci code, we can't read hieroglyphs. lol.

And if criticism is a problem, take it with a grain of salt and laugh. It helps not to take everything so seriously. Learn the difference between all out slander and a useful pointer. Sometimes we writers need to take a moment to carefully word our critiques which helps even more because it clarifies the problem. So that's a helpful pointer that I've learned works best too, writers. Not just Noobs, but writers as well.

Well that about wraps up my rant. I hope this is helpful, I know it helped me alot. There's so much off my mind now. lol. I'm smiling again..... biggrin
Reason number n^425,783,659,106,724 - We seriously don't care about the music you listen to while you write. I am getting a little tired of the "What do you need to listen to while you write?" topics. They're taking up space that the other, more serious writers may need for their much more important threads. Go back a few pages and dig up another one.

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Now this is something I do not like to hear. You people criticize a story because someone, who for all you know is a legitimate writer, wants their story to have an anime or manga style spin on it. No they are not genres, they are styles. Anime as a style defines the characters, as in most of todays, over expressive or other wise extremely serious. Manga on the other hand is more focused on how the characters move, and what facial expressions they have. I don't care if you don't like it, if you really have that much of a problem just don't read it.

That is my rant for the day be happy all you hater freaks that can't even accept something they don't believe in as something someone else might.
So the basic trend is, "If you don't think the way we do, don't come to the writer's forum."

Not everyone is as closed-minded as you people, and I think one of the reasons this forum doesn't get a lot of people is because of the assinine, arrogant attitudes of the people who do populate it.

"Oh, we don't like Eragon, therefore; no discussion on it."

Speak for yourself, why should everyone lower themselves to your shallow hatred just to be 'accepted'.
The point isn't that you aren't RIGHT about how everyone who disagrees will be pulverized, but it's that you people are so blind to your own ignorance that it is annoying.
We're dealing with writing, not missiles here, governer; chill out and have fun.
Oh, that's right, this is writing; there's no such thing as 'fun' unless it involves your specific definition.

What a crock.
Atari Maxi Tariyama
So the basic trend is, "If you don't think the way we do, don't come to the writer's forum."

Not everyone is as closed-minded as you people, and I think one of the reasons this forum doesn't get a lot of people is because of the assinine, arrogant attitudes of the people who do populate it.

"Oh, we don't like Eragon, therefore; no discussion on it."

Speak for yourself, why should everyone lower themselves to your shallow hatred just to be 'accepted'.
The point isn't that you aren't RIGHT about how everyone who disagrees will be pulverized, but it's that you people are so blind to your own ignorance that it is annoying.
We're dealing with writing, not missiles here, governer; chill out and have fun.
Oh, that's right, this is writing; there's no such thing as 'fun' unless it involves your specific definition.

What a crock.

Indeed. Many of my opinions have been trashed by people because they do not agree. It seems like people look at writing as this thing where it needs to be perfect. I think the funniest thing that I have seen on here is where people bash Harry Potter, Eragon, and Twilight books because they are cliche or not as well written as they want it to be. If those books were soooooo bad. Why is it that they are very popular? It goes to show that just as long your story is believable and your writing lacks some stuff.... it still can be very popular.

I will never go to the WF for advice... it's all close minded. People limit themselves so much.

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I let people read my stuff but most of them seem to like it. Though I have found that most of the same people who trash you in the actual discussion forums, are the same ones who trash your story ideas for clichés and such.

The only thing original is your characters and even they aren't completely original. Everything has been done till someone creates something new and if you think some writers on a forum are gonna do that you are delusional.
All of these rules can be replaced with "because I don't like your face."

Go ahead and change them right now, I'll wait.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Dion Haruto
Now this is something I do not like to hear. You people criticize a story because someone, who for all you know is a legitimate writer, wants their story to have an anime or manga style spin on it. No they are not genres, they are styles. Anime as a style defines the characters, as in most of todays, over expressive or other wise extremely serious. Manga on the other hand is more focused on how the characters move, and what facial expressions they have. I don't care if you don't like it, if you really have that much of a problem just don't read it.

That is my rant for the day be happy all you hater freaks that can't even accept something they don't believe in as something someone else might.

No, they're not genres, they're mediums. And, while they require storyboarding and script writing, they don't work the same way as novels do because they're both primarily very visual mediums. There's also a specific cultural reference in those words, too, indicating they're from a certain place.

Someone who calls their story anime or manga when it's entirely in prose form probably has a poor understanding of the difference in story telling mediums and how each of them work. For instance, a sweatdrop in a manga/comic can very easily get a sense of embarrassment or uneasiness across, because we can see it. But it doesn't work so well when you write *sweatdrop* in an entirely prose story.

Please, people, learn what the difference between mediums are! They all require different tools to get the point across!

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Ace of Shadows
No, they're not genres, they're mediums. And, while they require storyboarding and script writing, they don't work the same way as novels do because they're both primarily very visual mediums. There's also a specific cultural reference in those words, too, indicating they're from a certain place.

Someone who calls their story anime or manga when it's entirely in prose form probably has a poor understanding of the difference in story telling mediums and how each of them work. For instance, a sweatdrop in a manga/comic can very easily get a sense of embarrassment or uneasiness across, because we can see it. But it doesn't work so well when you write *sweatdrop* in an entirely prose story.

Please, people, learn what the difference between mediums are! They all require different tools to get the point across!
Realistically if you plan on using them like that, they can also be used as styles. As well anime and manga do not designate any specific culture or area of the world though they are more common in most, anime is a shortened term for animation, which in and of itself is a medium. While it can be taken this way as a literal term is can be perceived as a general style that uses exaggerated expressions and ideals to convey an idea. Manga can be taken the same way, though it is more focused on actions and facial expressions then words. That is one of the main problems I find with people in here you are all close minded to new ideas and thoughts and prefer to stick to the old ways. Yet you rip apart stories that use old ideas. I do like to use the writers forum so I will keep coming and I will argue this idea till you accept that I accept it. I don't care if you accept it but don't shoot me down for my ideas. I do my best not to but this is one thing that really irritates me.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Dion Haruto
Ace of Shadows

Realistically if you plan on using them like that, they can also be used as styles. As well anime and manga do not designate any specific culture or area of the world though they are more common in most, anime is a shortened term for animation, which in and of itself is a medium. While it can be taken this way as a literal term is can be perceived as a general style that uses exaggerated expressions and ideals to convey an idea. Manga can be taken the same way, though it is more focused on actions and facial expressions then words. That is one of the main problems I find with people in here you are all close minded to new ideas and thoughts and prefer to stick to the old ways. Yet you rip apart stories that use old ideas. I do like to use the writers forum so I will keep coming and I will argue this idea till you accept that I accept it. I don't care if you accept it but don't shoot me down for my ideas. I do my best not to but this is one thing that really irritates me.

For the love of crap, I know anime is animation. I'm not stupid, and most of us here know it's animation. But it's not novel writing, and too many fan authors don't seem to realize that. It's one thing to say you're inspired by anime and going for a certain kind of atmosphere/feeling/whatever, but there's somethings that don't translate well or at all into the solely written prose medium.

And the reason manga can focus on facial expression is because we can see them happening. It's drawn, therefore there's no need to describe what we can see and interpret for ourselves when reading/looking at a manga. Then there's the fact that anime and manga as we know it comes primarily out of Japan. As in it's being exported over here for us, foreigners, to view. It's only in recent years that Americans have been starting to say they're writing/drawing manga, because it sounds foreign and cool. I myself am highly manga influenced, but I just call my stuff comics, since that's what it is, and what manga means anyway.

Anime and manga just aren't prose, and too many people are getting them confused. Manga is just comic, anime is just cartoons, both of which are primarily a visual medium and most of the writing involved is the dialogue script. It is not the same as prose, and the younger fans, and many of the older ones, don't seem to know there's a difference. They need to learn it.
I'm sensing a lot of butthurt missing-of-the-point creeping into this glorious, glorious thread.

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I am not gonna bother with another long post I am gonna agree that I don't agree with you on everything and that you don't agree on me with everything. There happy now, damn you people incapable of seeing things from someones else's view. Ah, f**k I am going before someone tries to gouge my eyes out.
Spirited_Away_Hannah
Join the Fun

Roll, chat, and win!

This weeks grand prize is the famous, very expensive, OMG Hat!

Hope to see you there!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Reason ******** infinity: Spamming your god damned advertisements where they don't belong. In this very ******** thread. Christ!

Reported.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces