Welcome to Gaia! ::

Big Wife

Tamahashime
Llamatized
with the the slavery thing, I know that slavery meant something different in the Bible that it did in the 1800's

slaves were treated more as servants than anything, and in the new testament Peter even addresses slaves in his first letter

1 Peter 2:18 & 19 says, "Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. 19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God. "

Peter is addressing Christians in his letter, one's who are saved. Anything lesser than a human being can't receive salvation through Jesus Christ, so I hope this answers that question

even moreso, in the old testament, often if a man owed a debt to another man, he would lend his children as slaves to work until the debt was paid off

anyway my day has been good!

how has yours been?

If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.

20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

What about these rules? It states slaves as property as opposed to servants.

It's freeish slaves more than servants.

Bored, but good!

tbh I'm pretty fuzzy when it comes to the Mosiac laws, but I do know that this law indirectly pertains to the Ten commandments, one of them being "You shall not murder"

I don't think the mention of them being property makes them lesser humans, at least not where the Ten commandments are concerned. I know one thing that's hard for me as a Christian is really to understand that the ways of thinking in the Old Testament and the New Testament are completely different, and it can be hard to relate to anything before Jesus' existence. That may sound like a cop-out, but I really don't have a definite answer because the definition of slavery back then differs from the one we know today

I guess to help with my argument I'll quote Ephesians

Eph. 6:9 And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.

here, Paul instructs slave owners not to threaten their slaves and reminds they they both serve the same Master, one who does not show favoritism

this does contrast the verse you shared from Exodus, and I believe it's because on the two different laws - The Mosaic Laws (Old Testament) and Jesus Christ (New Testament)

Shuggums's Queen

So first I would like to say when it comes to my religion I identify as a spiritual christian. I am not a huge bible thumper, I do know a lot of religious stuff, and I don't go to chruch. To many contradictions in general when it comes to religion in my opinion, but I do strongly believe in God and a lot of what should be pratice in a sense of 'love and help' and not to much 'preach and judge only to hate differences'.

** How do you justify in your holy book the intricacies of slavery -automatically dictating there is such a thing as lesser humans**
--- I don't so much as justify but I understand the CONCEPT of it back than and no not saying "oh yeah it's cool to own slaves''. No I am saying as an adult I can understand the reasoning in a persons mind to own a slave, but I do not support nor endorse it in any sense. People back than thought everyone was a subhuman in comparision to what they were and believed in. It was awful and a horrible mindset. I am so proud of us as a human race to get to this point in life where we are seeing less and less of slavery. Not ignorant to the fact that the world is slaveless nor am I ignorant in the fact there isn't living, breathing racists/sexist who would love to go back to that, but I can see how we have improved and working towards the future.

Do you believe the bible is to be taken literally
-- ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! I cannot stress that enough. I think the core of the bible is good, that is my opinion. I think many people have corrupted the actual message, through word and pen. Also, as stated before, there is a lot of contradictions in the bible. I mean, if people actually did nitpick it we would all be sinners!!! I mean seriously, some of the stuff that says we shouldn't do is so beyond crazy that if you said it randomly to a person without saying it was in the bible they would say you're nuts! People who try to take the bible literally and say "The bible says this!"... I have rarely met a counter argument the bible doesnt provide to the very thing it preaches. Life is not a constant, the bible is no exclusion to this factor.

Are you christian-muslim and you believe in evolution?
I do believe in evolution. How could I not? As for the separation, I am not sure if you mean like mentally or timewise or what... As for the notion of heaven in this sense, I will be honest, never thought of it before. For me, I've always changed my stance on heaven and what it actually is. Is it a cloud where we all gather and live blissful? Is it another plain where we go and live in utopia? Is it just what my mind wants and find true happiness? Or even, does it exist? I would like to think that everything has a chance to a utopia style of afterlife, and sure does it include my ape ancestors, sure. If it doesn't, than it doesn't. Since I am not confident in what heaven is, it is kind of hard to answer such things.

If God is all loving why does he favor some but not the others?
This is a topic I have all the time with my bf all the time, he is an atheist. He supports my believes and never makes me feel bad, visa versa. We sometimes debate, though typically don't out of respect, but when we do this is the one brought up. And my answer.... I have no f**ing idea. I truly don't. I could say "He has a purpose" but in a lot of situations, you can't see the purpose. For me, when it comes to cruel things in life, I think it truly has to do with free will. I honestly think that the bible is wrong in the sense God has control of us and interacts in our lives. I honestly think that we have free will to make choices and in such we have all these cruel things in life happening ((and I'm not talking about medical stuff)). God gave us all free will and sadly some choose to use that free will to cause pain and terror in the lives of others for their own reasons. Sucks I know.

If you believe in creationism and Adam and Eve were created, who did their sons get married to?
I don't believe in Adam and Eve in the bible sense. I don't deny nor agree they were real people, I'm on a stance of "well they could be real....but I don't think they were the only ones" type deal. If that makes sense lol. THough I do believe in an Eden but that might play in my view of a possible heaven.

If God is omniscient why does he question your love to him?
It is not my opinion he does. To me, I think people make people questions God's love for them. I'm sure I do things God would frown upon, but just like my mother, there is not a doubt in my mind God doesn't love me. I am not an evil person. I am naughty, I misbehave, and perhaps do questionable things in the eyes of faith and religion, but I'm good with God, and I strongly feel that.

Do you admit that the bible is a compilation of books written by men therefor it is flawed by definition as well as organized religion or do you believe it is the word of God and cannot be wrong?

I feel like I answered a lot of this already in my answers above. The bible is completely flawed and full of contradictions. But honestly, I think man has made it worse with the same text we all read. People can read one passage and think one way and preach that way... I can read it and think the opposite... you can read it and think something completely different! The bible should be used as a strong guideline and not the word of God in my opinion.

Your thoughts on this quote from the bible? Unless you're a woman, you can't reply.
That is so funny you put this up here because I recently got into an argument with a man bashing gays and this is one of my "BS QUOTES FROM THE BIBLES" I brought up. To me this is one of the most stupid phrases and I am sure gets taken out of proportion a lot. For one, how can we honor thy mother but than tell her to hush? At what age do we say "Ok Ma' I no longer have to listen/honor you, so stfu with your knowledge''. Stupid, just utterly stupid. I know a lot will think of "teaching" as teachers, but for me, I think of my mother teaching me about life, being the authoritative figure even at the age of 27 in my life. And I don't mean it out force but because I placed her there and encourage it. We are human beings are ALWAYS learning and evolving. This quote is one I happily ignore along with others.

Also, loved answering these lol I wish Chatterbox had more convos like this vs some of what it typically has. Thank you to anyone who actually read this lolol
ok let's talk about the old testament rules:
basically, those were the laws of the time, and the main focus was to keep the society functioning and healthy, with the focus on God

things like fabrics, food restrictions,
those were for health reasons; these were notably lifted in the new testament cos sanitation had improved a lot by then

things like slavery, women being subservient to men; these were things that were so prevalent in those cultures, that they were "allowed" to be rules in Jewish communities
not that these were considered "good" or "righteous" by any means, but a pragmatic "necessary evil"
but do remember that they were told explicitly time and again to treat everyone with respect, dignity, etc - basically making the best of the worst situation
it's a shitty reason, yes, but the most plausible i've heard so far
and these were unfortunately not "lifted" in the new testament, because that was still where society was as a whole

When it comes to dealing with other people though, quite often christians (myself included), forget that this is the guiding principle:
"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

all the hate and rhetoric coming from the "religious", is not representative of any of these religions really

Lonely Prophet

LeChiot
So first I would like to say when it comes to my religion I identify as a spiritual christian. I am not a huge bible thumper, I do know a lot of religious stuff, and I don't go to chruch. To many contradictions in general when it comes to religion in my opinion, but I do strongly believe in God and a lot of what should be pratice in a sense of 'love and help' and not to much 'preach and judge only to hate differences'.

** How do you justify in your holy book the intricacies of slavery -automatically dictating there is such a thing as lesser humans**
--- I don't so much as justify but I understand the CONCEPT of it back than and no not saying "oh yeah it's cool to own slaves''. No I am saying as an adult I can understand the reasoning in a persons mind to own a slave, but I do not support nor endorse it in any sense. People back than thought everyone was a subhuman in comparision to what they were and believed in. It was awful and a horrible mindset. I am so proud of us as a human race to get to this point in life where we are seeing less and less of slavery. Not ignorant to the fact that the world is slaveless nor am I ignorant in the fact there isn't living, breathing racists/sexist who would love to go back to that, but I can see how we have improved and working towards the future.

-- ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! I cannot stress that enough. I think the core of the bible is good, that is my opinion. I think many people have corrupted the actual message, through word and pen. Also, as stated before, there is a lot of contradictions in the bible. I mean, if people actually did nitpick it we would all be sinners!!! I mean seriously, some of the stuff that says we shouldn't do is so beyond crazy that if you said it randomly to a person without saying it was in the bible they would say you're nuts! People who try to take the bible literally and say "The bible says this!"... I have rarely met a counter argument the bible doesnt provide to the very thing it preaches. Life is not a constant, the bible is no exclusion to this factor.

I do believe in evolution. How could I not? As for the separation, I am not sure if you mean like mentally or timewise or what... As for the notion of heaven in this sense, I will be honest, never thought of it before. For me, I've always changed my stance on heaven and what it actually is. Is it a cloud where we all gather and live blissful? Is it another plain where we go and live in utopia? Is it just what my mind wants and find true happiness? Or even, does it exist? I would like to think that everything has a chance to a utopia style of afterlife, and sure does it include my ape ancestors, sure. If it doesn't, than it doesn't. Since I am not confident in what heaven is, it is kind of hard to answer such things.

This is a topic I have all the time with my bf all the time, he is an atheist. He supports my believes and never makes me feel bad, visa versa. We sometimes debate, though typically don't out of respect, but when we do this is the one brought up. And my answer.... I have no f**ing idea. I truly don't. I could say "He has a purpose" but in a lot of situations, you can't see the purpose. For me, when it comes to cruel things in life, I think it truly has to do with free will. I honestly think that the bible is wrong in the sense God has control of us and interacts in our lives. I honestly think that we have free will to make choices and in such we have all these cruel things in life happening ((and I'm not talking about medical stuff)). God gave us all free will and sadly some choose to use that free will to cause pain and terror in the lives of others for their own reasons. Sucks I know.

If you believe in creationism and Adam and Eve were created, who did their sons get married to?
I don't believe in Adam and Eve in the bible sense. I don't deny nor agree they were real people, I'm on a stance of "well they could be real....but I don't think they were the only ones" type deal. If that makes sense lol. THough I do believe in an Eden but that might play in my view of a possible heaven.

It is not my opinion he does. To me, I think people make people questions God's love for them. I'm sure I do things God would frown upon, but just like my mother, there is not a doubt in my mind God doesn't love me. I am not an evil person. I am naughty, I misbehave, and perhaps do questionable things in the eyes of faith and religion, but I'm good with God, and I strongly feel that.

Do you admit that the bible is a compilation of books written by men therefor it is flawed by definition as well as organized religion or do you believe it is the word of God and cannot be wrong?

I feel like I answered a lot of this already in my answers above. The bible is completely flawed and full of contradictions. But honestly, I think man has made it worse with the same text we all read. People can read one passage and think one way and preach that way... I can read it and think the opposite... you can read it and think something completely different! The bible should be used as a strong guideline and not the word of God in my opinion.

Your thoughts on this quote from the bible? Unless you're a woman, you can't reply.
That is so funny you put this up here because I recently got into an argument with a man bashing gays and this is one of my "BS QUOTES FROM THE BIBLES" I brought up. To me this is one of the most stupid phrases and I am sure gets taken out of proportion a lot. For one, how can we honor thy mother but than tell her to hush? At what age do we say "Ok Ma' I no longer have to listen/honor you, so stfu with your knowledge''. Stupid, just utterly stupid. I know a lot will think of "teaching" as teachers, but for me, I think of my mother teaching me about life, being the authoritative figure even at the age of 27 in my life. And I don't mean it out force but because I placed her there and encourage it. We are human beings are ALWAYS learning and evolving. This quote is one I happily ignore along with others.

Also, loved answering these lol I wish Chatterbox had more convos like this vs some of what it typically has. Thank you to anyone who actually read this lolol
I read everything

Assimilated Borg

11,025 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Distrustul Officer 50
  • Hive Mind 200
Tamahashime
star_wars_96

what do you define yourself as exactly, religiously.

I see you have a want to know God, but I feel you also have existential doubts, these two don't usually go together, as religion is often used to explain that which can't

Let's say reality is a cracked floor, while science tries to fill the cracks with the right pieces once they find them, religion could be defined as just filling them all with sand. So to speak.

Religiously, well, I've never been baptized, so I currently don't have an established religion at this time. I really don't like religion, I don't like these ideas that fills people's heads simply because "the Bible says so." I just really consider myself an independent believer that doesn't need religion, but faith. You can believe in God and not have to follow a religion, maybe that's frowned upon, but my way of life is just to be nice and a decent human and that's all I believe you have to do. Try to imagine what "nothing" is like. Imagine nothing existing, nothing at all. It's physically impossible for us to imagine what nothing is like because we have never experienced "nothing." Whether it's by God or by science, at some point in time, NOTHING existed, and then EVERYTHING came from nothing. So, no matter what you believe, God or not, they're both something we can't explain and will never be able to explain because if we cannot understand "nothing" and "everything" then we can't analyze how we all came to be. We won't know until we die, and if I'm going to die, I'd rather live my life believing that what we do matters than that we just go in the dirt and stay there until we rot.

Interesting Noob

I think people read the bible and then turn it into something to justify their own reasons

Lonely Prophet

star_wars_96
Welcome to the club

Assimilated Borg

11,025 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Distrustul Officer 50
  • Hive Mind 200
Tamahashime
star_wars_96
Welcome to the club

Well, kind of. I believe in God, I believe there is a creator, but... I just believe we don't have the information to understand how that could be possible. Agnosticism is when you equally believe it could or couldn't be true. In my case, I believe in God, I just don't believe we are meant to understand how a deity could exist, simply because we can't fathom it. It is physically impossible to think about because science says otherwise. I suppose the way I see it is, yes, I believe in God, but I can also see the other side and see why people have certain questions and why people may be skeptical.

Aged Bloodsucker

i think its for convenience which helps them sleep better at night. "if i pray for my sins to be forgiven, everything is fine!"

Alien Star

20,425 Points
  • Nova Novice 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
Tamahashime
Empress Enelda
Not answering your questions, but I just think all of these religions support ridiculous concepts. You didn't believe in them when you were born or before you were introduce to them for the first time, and you don't need those concepts to live in reality.

Here's another question: if there is a divine being who is also omnipotent (or even less than that), why would you have to seek that being out- attending sessions (in churches, mosques, etc.) dedicated to learning more about that being and the so called history of the earth?
The moment a baby can be raised without the knowledge of these religions means that God either doesn't exist, therefor you never have a true enlightenment unless you are taught, or God doesn't care, he is nothing but a Prime Force, he set the universe in motion and left, because it's reasons are beyond comprehension, should he, or she, or it is and will forever be beyond our reach.
Is that your belief?

Lonely Prophet

Empress Enelda
Tamahashime
Empress Enelda
Not answering your questions, but I just think all of these religions support ridiculous concepts. You didn't believe in them when you were born or before you were introduce to them for the first time, and you don't need those concepts to live in reality.

Here's another question: if there is a divine being who is also omnipotent (or even less than that), why would you have to seek that being out- attending sessions (in churches, mosques, etc.) dedicated to learning more about that being and the so called history of the earth?
The moment a baby can be raised without the knowledge of these religions means that God either doesn't exist, therefor you never have a true enlightenment unless you are taught, or God doesn't care, he is nothing but a Prime Force, he set the universe in motion and left, because it's reasons are beyond comprehension, should he, or she, or it is and will forever be beyond our reach.
Is that your belief?
No, it's a question.

I'm writing a philosophy I hope to one day share with the world, but it doesn't impede you from having a religion as well, it's more like Tenets and moral guides.

Alien Star

20,425 Points
  • Nova Novice 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
Tamahashime
No, it's a question.

I'm writing a philosophy I hope to one day share with the world, but it doesn't impede you from having a religion as well, it's more like Tenets and moral guides.
I chose not to have any religious belief (I'm an atheist). So what were you trying to ask when you quoted me?

Lover

7,250 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Idk how to hide all this but just wanted to say I loved what you said and how you said it. I completely agree on most things. Best thing I've read all day really opened my mind
LeChiot

jackpat
Idk how to hide all this but just wanted to say I loved what you said and how you said it. I completely agree on most things. Best thing I've read all day really opened my mind
LeChiot

[ spoiler ] (content) [/ spoiler ]

Auxvasse's Compadre

Invisible Regular

religion is a pathetic, dirty and fake

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items