Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Seeker

I live in a very small town, you know, those towns where everyone knows each other. Also, everyone in my town is a Pentecostal Christian.

Anyway, I was talking to an old friend of mine. She started this Christian Fellowship group at our High School. I told her I was atheist, and she kinda freaked out.

Long story short, she told a few people, who told a few people, who told a few people, until practically everyone knew about it.

My friends didn't mind (even though they are Christians), my family doesn't seem to mind, but everyone else is convinced that I'm a devil worshiper who eats babies (Like, I'm not even kidding.)

So what I wanted to ask is:

If you're an atheist, have you chosen to tell others? What were their reactions?

If you're not an atheist, how do you view people who are?

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
Don't ask, don't tell.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I have told others, and while some reactions were unpleasant, it was nothing like what you've described. I guess that's the difference between living in a small pentecostal Christian town and a small, religiously diverse college town. I defiantly would be more closed-mouthed about it if I lived in the Bible Belt.

Ruthless Informer

Babies are pretty delicious.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Stuch BSc
Don't ask, don't tell.

Didn't you hear? That's been ruled unconstitutional 3nodding

But seriously, one should be able to discuss this issue with family and friends.
I'm not really an atheist in the strictest sense of the word, I'd best be called agnostic. But small towns and small town customs are difficult to defy since a lot of people begin to view you as not part of the group. After all you were part of the group and then "rejected it," thus the group feels you rejected the group. I personally don't have this problem because the religion and culture I was born into wasn't Christian and nobody generally expects me to be Christian, though many have attempted to missionize.

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
catspook

But seriously, one should be able to discuss this issue with family and friends.

I made a joke and didn't expect a reply. Silly c**t.

Greedy Consumer

well perhaps your behavior style of manner or dress would also cause them to veiw you more badly with the atheist lable, judgeing by your avi name and signature I think theres the potential that they were inclined to dislike you anyways.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Stuch BSc
catspook

I made a joke and didn't expect a reply. Silly c**t.

That was uncalled for, especially since the first half of my post was acknowledging and building on your joke neutral
I don't have a problem with atheists but it interests me why they believe the way they do.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
It sounds to me like they need to learn the definition of devil worshiper if they think it is synonymous with atheist.

Most people are probably just unaccustomed to atheism, so they don't know how to react
From your sig, and the look of the average slipknot fan, I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the atheism that sparked this, but a build up of things and the atheism tipped the scales.

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
catspook
That was uncalled for, especially since the first half of my post was acknowledging and building on your joke neutral

You didn't let me finish...

Distinct Explorer

4,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
blackheartgirl2
I don't have a problem with atheists but it interests me why they believe the way they do.

Don't you mean "why they don't believe" as opposed to the way you put it?
The way you have it set up "believe the way they do" sets up a strawman of what atheism is.
It's not that we BELIEVE gods do not exist, it's more to the point that we DO NOT believe said beings exist. Atheism is not a positve claim.

Greedy Consumer

Cloudy Heart
Babies are pretty delicious.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out