Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Phantom

Ontological Empiricism

In the land of comedy, many comedians use racial stereotypes in their skits. Either pointed at their own race, or the race of another. Lisa Lampanelli is one that most prominently comes to mind, and no one has ever run up on stage to punch her out.

What does punching someone doing insult comedy (though not very good, this comedian didn't have any tact whatsoever) solve? Why is that a better reaction compared to simply leaving?
It saves face as I explained earlier. Yes, it's up for debate I know. But if I was in that situation and I just left I would feel defeated. After punching him in the face, I would feel powerful and like I defeated an aggressor.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Blade Dancer
Ontological Empiricism

In the land of comedy, many comedians use racial stereotypes in their skits. Either pointed at their own race, or the race of another. Lisa Lampanelli is one that most prominently comes to mind, and no one has ever run up on stage to punch her out.

What does punching someone doing insult comedy (though not very good, this comedian didn't have any tact whatsoever) solve? Why is that a better reaction compared to simply leaving?
It saves face as I explained earlier. Yes, it's up for debate I know. But if I was in that situation and I just left I would feel defeated. After punching him in the face, I would feel powerful and like I defeated an aggressor.

You would feel powerful until you were confronted by the police, or got slapped with a lawsuit for assault. neutral

Distinct Phantom

Evanxeco
Blade Dancer
Evanxeco
George could have started some fun conversation with his girlfriend and ignore the hell outa that guy.
I feel that thinking of something funny or engaging would have been very difficult considering his current predicament.

Well, getting mad over anything is always a bad idea.
Getting mad is a biological function that has served to protect families, children, and property. So...I can't agree that it's always a bad idea.

Quote:
You would feel powerful until you were confronted by the police, or got slapped with a lawsuit for assault.
This is true. However, I do believe he could probably get sympathy with a judge though.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Blade Dancer
Ontological Empiricism
You would feel powerful until you were confronted by the police, or got slapped with a lawsuit for assault.
This is true. However, I do believe he could probably get sympathy with a judge though.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I'm skeptical to think a judge would condone assaulting an insult comic, no matter how terrible their skit may have been.

Devoted Explorer

Ontological Empiricism
The Herald of Death
Ontological Empiricism
Really, I find punching the man to be unnecessary. It says to me that you let your emotions run rampant, and that you can't control yourself from violent outbursts when upset.

The routine wasn't that hilarious, and if you're getting offended, simply leave. It's really not that hard.

It's similarly not hard to avoid being a racist piece of s**t. It was in fact pretty clearly deliberate so... why care if he gets punched? It'd have been best if he end up in a hospital really.

He was verbally assaulting an audience member. Your argument is quite the understatement.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Major Lima Charlie
Ontological Empiricism
The Herald of Death
Ontological Empiricism
Really, I find punching the man to be unnecessary. It says to me that you let your emotions run rampant, and that you can't control yourself from violent outbursts when upset.

The routine wasn't that hilarious, and if you're getting offended, simply leave. It's really not that hard.

It's similarly not hard to avoid being a racist piece of s**t. It was in fact pretty clearly deliberate so... why care if he gets punched? It'd have been best if he end up in a hospital really.

He was verbally assaulting an audience member. Your argument is quite the understatement.

I must've missed the part where the actual verbal assault came in. My argument mostly comes from taking more of...the "higher road" for lack of a better term...than resorting to a violent outburst.
I don't agree with the guy being battered for his jokes, as stupid and over the top as they were, but I have no real sympathy for the comedian. Any time you choose to make jokes which touch on sensative stuff, common sense should tell you that you risk a good ol' fashioned a** whoopin'. I too am a pacificist, but I would never expect the whole world to share my views.

Race, while socially created, is still real, and woe to the one who thinks they alone are going to change this.

Malevolent Firestarter

3,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • PvP 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Ontological Empiricism
The Herald of Death
Ontological Empiricism

It causes a racist douchebag pain. Win.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Riviera de la Mancha
I don't agree with the guy being battered for his jokes, as stupid and over the top as they were, but I have no real sympathy for the comedian. Any time you choose to make jokes which touch on sensative stuff, common sense should tell you that you risk a good ol' fashioned a** whoopin'. I too am a pacificist, but I would never expect the whole world to share my views.

Race, while socially created, is still real, and woe to the one who thinks they alone are going to change this.

I kinda agree with you. strange, no?

I mean, it was wrong to assault the comedian, sure, but I gotta tell ya, it's really hard to fault him for it. in the same situation, a comedian playing up racial stereotypes tactlessly ( whether or not you think there is a "tactful" way to handle jokes of that nature, you gotta agree that was tactless ) at me, I wouldn't have done the same thing, but by God, I'd be sorely tempted.

I guess it really is a case of two wrongs not making a right.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Major Lima Charlie
Ontological Empiricism
The Herald of Death
Ontological Empiricism

do you often advocate for vigilante justice? I mean, I know we've discussed the idea before, I just can't remember your stance on it off the top of my head.

Devoted Explorer

Keltoi Samurai
Major Lima Charlie
Ontological Empiricism
The Herald of Death
Ontological Empiricism

do you often advocate for vigilante justice? I mean, I know we've discussed the idea before, I just can't remember your stance on it off the top of my head.
Oh, I'm not saying he did the right thing. Merely it was him reacting to assault instead of indirect insult.

Only vigilante I support is Batwoman. And maybe the rest of Batman, Inc.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Major Lima Charlie
Keltoi Samurai
Major Lima Charlie
Ontological Empiricism
The Herald of Death
Ontological Empiricism

Oh, I'm not saying he did the right thing. Merely it was him reacting to assault instead of indirect insult.

Batwoman is a token minority character, and you know it.

I mean, she's a kitchen sink token, too, covering token woman, token gay and token Jew, all in one go.

and to be honest, I kinda agree: he responded in a way that escalated the situation, and really shouldn't have, but damn if I can't understand where George was coming from, y'know?

Devoted Explorer

Keltoi Samurai
Major Lima Charlie
Keltoi Samurai
Major Lima Charlie
Ontological Empiricism

Batwoman is a token minority character, and you know it.

I mean, she's a kitchen sink token, too, covering token woman, token gay and token Jew, all in one go.

and to be honest, I kinda agree: he responded in a way that escalated the situation, and really shouldn't have, but damn if I can't understand where George was coming from, y'know?
She's flatout awesome. Read the comics.

And, yeah, I understand.
He wasn't very funny anyway. Honestly, I'd let the guy keep wailing. Maybe he'd learn a thing or two about taking a joke too far.

But seriously, as a man, I support that audience member all the way. I'd do the same thing if some fat clown started verbally abusing me and my girlfriend.
Blade Dancer
Evanxeco
Blade Dancer
Evanxeco
George could have started some fun conversation with his girlfriend and ignore the hell outa that guy.
I feel that thinking of something funny or engaging would have been very difficult considering his current predicament.

Well, getting mad over anything is always a bad idea.
Getting mad is a biological function that has served to protect families, children, and property. So...I can't agree that it's always a bad idea.

You're saying they can't be protected more effectively with a calm and peaceful mind?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff