Welcome to Gaia! ::

Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1

Sounds awesome.

Robots can work without pay because they don't need for or water or have feelings and brains.

Then they can do my job, and I can still get stuff; problem solved.
No you can't, because you won't get payed for being lazy and jobless.

Um... the richest people in our country do that?

So, no, I think it's entirely possible.

And when we all have robots, they'll do it for us, so no work by us.

Except for the occasional maintenance job checking up on the robots. xp
But the rich already have money. They are making money from interest, investing in questionable ventures and other stuff.
What do you have? Why should they give you anything for free?

The robots will, they'll make it for free silly. xp
No, they make it for those who own the robots and they will sell it to you. If you can afford it.
Capitalism isn't a big, happy clubhouse where everyone gets what he needs, capitalism is like nature, brutal and unforgiving. Eat or be eaten. It's pretty much anarchy.

Fanatical Zealot

The20
Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1

Sounds awesome.

Robots can work without pay because they don't need for or water or have feelings and brains.

Then they can do my job, and I can still get stuff; problem solved.
No you can't, because you won't get payed for being lazy and jobless.

But the rich already have money. They are making money from interest, investing in questionable ventures and other stuff.

No, they make it for those who own the robots and they will sell it to you. If you can afford it.
Capitalism isn't a big, happy clubhouse where everyone gets what he needs, capitalism is like nature, brutal and unforgiving. Eat or be eaten. It's pretty much anarchy.
No-one will own the robots, per say, they'll just be there to make stuff.

Sheesh.
Major Lima Charlie
Fermionic
Major Lima Charlie
CH1YO
Major Lima Charlie
Technocracy is rule of society by skilled professionals; health would be ruled by medical experts, security by security experts, et cetera.

Who gets to decide who is the most expert expert?
An expert panel of judges.

emotion_awesome

That seems an expert popularity contest.
Perhaps. It's often how politics works now, though. Just look at the GOP congressmembers on scientific committees in the US. They don't know what the ******** they're talking about. If they're not going on about Christian religiobabble, they're showing they have no knowledge about their area of supposed expertise.

They know exactly what they're talking about. By which I mean, twisting facts to align with a political position.
Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1

Sheesh.
Do you think the people who make the robots will just give them away? Did you read this horrible short story where Australia is some kind of large hippie festival while the rest of the world slowly develops in the terrible dystopia we all know will come sooner or later?
While some members of the technocracy have good ideas, forcing a cashless panopticon upon the citizens so that they may become dependent agrarian serfs is not the ideal method of promoting progressive humanity. People who do what they like doing always produce better results than the people who are forced to do it. People who obey only are largely incapable of producing alternative solutions when disaster demands innovation. People who obey a central authority without autonomy are incapable of creativity beyond the intellectual resources which they have been allotted.

Fanatical Zealot

The20
Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1

Sheesh.
Do you think the people who make the robots will just give them away? Did you read this horrible short story where Australia is some kind of large hippie festival while the rest of the world slowly develops in the terrible dystopia we all know will come sooner or later?

Why would they need to give them away?

They'll make stuff for free and stuff, and then we'll get that. xp
Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1

Sheesh.

That's not how capitalism works. And unless a miracle happens (or a revolution, whichever comes first) capitalism will prevail.

Devoted Explorer

Fermionic
Major Lima Charlie
Fermionic
Major Lima Charlie
CH1YO
Major Lima Charlie
Technocracy is rule of society by skilled professionals; health would be ruled by medical experts, security by security experts, et cetera.

Who gets to decide who is the most expert expert?

emotion_awesome

Perhaps. It's often how politics works now, though. Just look at the GOP congressmembers on scientific committees in the US. They don't know what the ******** they're talking about. If they're not going on about Christian religiobabble, they're showing they have no knowledge about their area of supposed expertise.

They know exactly what they're talking about. By which I mean, twisting facts to align with a political position.
Well, they don't know what they're supposed to be talking about. We have people on environmental subcommittees talking about how God makes the wind blow to transfer warm air to colder areas, so harnessing wind power would actually cause global warming.

I just...
Major Lima Charlie
Fermionic
Major Lima Charlie
Fermionic
Major Lima Charlie

emotion_awesome

Well, they don't know what they're supposed to be talking about. We have people on environmental subcommittees talking about how God makes the wind blow to transfer warm air to colder areas, so harnessing wind power would actually cause global warming.

I just...

From my vantage point, I struggle to believe such people exist.

Fanatical Zealot

The20
Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1
The20
Suicidesoldier#1

Sheesh.

That's not how capitalism works. And unless a miracle happens (or a revolution, whichever comes first) capitalism will prevail.

Even in capitalism you need consumers or else you die as well.

And even presuming it persists, that doesn't mean that we can't all get robots to make free stuff for us. : P

In our environment, right now, the government just builds roads and does other stuff! They do all kinds of altruistic stuff, like have schools, build the infrastructure of society and direct business and provide agricultural incentives etc.

It's likely they can build robots, and do stuff too; it's likely they'll be the first to come up with practical robots, just like they came up with satellites, Iphone processors and hardware, jet planes, rockets, weather balloon weather monitoring, etc. and then hand out such information and capabilities basically, fo free.
Christ the Holy Son
Major Lima Charlie

I think that it's the best way to live.
Really, it would be, if we had a consistent and largely infallible way of determining who is an expert of what. But we don't. That's the barrier to technocracy's implementation.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff