Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Humorist

13,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Aryvane
Leothalis v2
You could probably use a lot of this for the essay.

No, I probably have an idea.

I'm here because I don't want to deal with the GE at the moment. lol

/sigh. I want to shake your hand

and use you as a battering ram against those who just don't understaaaand.

So.. using another person as a weapon against confused people doesn't count as a desire to maim? emotion_awesome

Cat

quentan
what about expostfacto?

It was always in the TOS. Always.

you know? That thing you agreed to when you registered for Gaia?

This isn't ex post facto. This is the inability of people to read before
checking that little box that says "I read and agree to this contract
that I haven't read and how dare you hold my signing this against me?"

Ruthless Prophet

11,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Damia Roncartia
Leothalis v2
Damia Roncartia
Leothalis v2
emotion_awesome
-hands Leothalis a spice weasel-
BAM WITH ME!

heart
BAM!

Now for some plutonian slugs? emotion_awesome
With a can of Slurm to wash it down.
emotion_awesome
Hell.
YES.
emotion_dealwithit
i agree with everything, seeing as it is supposed to be a kids site, even if most of them are immature.

Ruthless Prophet

11,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
T4NGO
Aryvane
Leothalis v2
You could probably use a lot of this for the essay.

No, I probably have an idea.

I'm here because I don't want to deal with the GE at the moment. lol

/sigh. I want to shake your hand

and use you as a battering ram against those who just don't understaaaand.

So.. using another person as a weapon against confused people doesn't count as a desire to maim? emotion_awesome
I'm sure this is to argue a point.
But you can't really blame her, can you?

Romantic Raider

I really don't see where everyone is seeing this as unreasonable, controlling, or taking away their freedom of speech.
s**t talking is still fine and dandy (long as you don't full blown into hate speech because that's reportable and could result in banning). It's just threatening that the Gaia Staff are addressing now. Making a threat against someone is a serious issue, even if the person says they're "just joking".
Let's be honest people, throwing out JK is far too easy to do and it covers nothing.
It's like walking up to someone with a gun. Only you know it's a gag gun that only makes a little flame out of the barrel, but the other person doesn't and they're scared. You pull the trigger and out comes the little flame. You think saying "JUST KIDDING" is going to reverse the s**t that just dropped in that other persons pants?

Everyday Garbage

Synapt
Good christ my first post on this site in awhile and it just has to be urged for the CB.

Here's a protip about the internet ladies and gentlemen (and the kids stupid enough to admit being under 13);

The internet is not the US, the US does not own the internet, your 'rights' do not apply to the internet. What does apply here on Gaia, is their terms, their policies.

Your rights as a citizen of {insert country here} pretty much mean bugger all on this site or any site on the internet, most sites will humour you if you're in the US and they are as well, but it's still their entire control and handling, their terms which -you- agree to the moment you successfully register an account.

Those terms of service are binding to you (depending what court/judge you listen to, legally binding at that in the grey area of things), whether you read them or not, the apply and you follow, simple as it is.

Honestly if Gaia thought you looked like a half breed monkey goat that fell down an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way and felt like banning you for sheer fuglyness, they could, it's their site, their domain, their entire little virtual country on the internet, pretty much that simple.
ALL MY LOVE SIR!
YOU HAVE IT!
ESPECIALLY FOR THAT LAST BIT!

heart

Fluff Powerhouse

20,650 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
Ugh, some of the responses to this PSA really make me feel sick.

Folks, if your humor revolves around jokes about rape, murder, and ***** then something is not okay. Something is not okay with you. If you "need" these things to be acceptable in order to be (or rather, THINK) that you're funny, something is not jiving in your life.

Every 2 minutes in America, someone is sexually assaulted. Sexually assaulted. Harm is applied to both men and women, but mostly women, every 2 minutes. Victims suffer from physical and emotional trauma that can stick with them for years. Trauma that is downplayed by every one of your stupid little "jokes".

1 in 4 girls will be sexually abused before the age of 18. It used to be 1 in 5, but I guess now it's 1 in 4. For serious, you guys want to joke about that? Does anyone need to say much more about this? Children who cannot protect themselves undergo trauma and you think that's funny?

Think murder is for giggles? Yeah, some of us might be pissed off at our politicians or at each other and we might want to lash out. But if you're not smart enough to say something other than, "I'm going to shoot you!" when you get mad then you need to get the hell out of politics until you're ready to act like a damn adult.

All of you folks bulking at the threat to your little "jokes" and taking affront that Gaia DARE to challenge your "freedom of speech"? Take a moment to really think about what you're defending. You feel safe on the internet hiding behind your little avatars but the words that you say are still owned by YOU. Think about standing in front of a crowd, face-to-face with victims and telling your little "jokes".

This s**t isn't funny. Not online, not in person.

I think this rule is perfect for Gaia. Thank you mods, for speaking up and cracking down.
Yeah to anyone still ranting and raving over this, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Initially I thought that stricter rules had been enforced on CB but I went to ATA and inquired about it and a mod informed me that it was just a statement of the TOS for those who we're breaking it. I thought I would just say that incase anyone was still making a big deal out of it.

Girl-Crazy Hoarder

9,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Friendly 100
User Image

Everyone keep complaining. You couldn't get on facebook and make a joke about most of those things, and not lose your fb account, or even have it turned over to authorities. many people get charged for things they post online now-a-days.
however gaia is a privilege, not a right. if you read stuff before signing up for something, this would come as no surprise to you. it does kinda suck that now you really have to watch what you say. if you bothers you so much, dont log on anymore.
i think its funny though someone you actually complain that you cant make some of those jokes. thats disturbing.
stay classy gaia.
T4NGO
What if said person likes Orange Juice? Doesn't someone have to kill an orange in order to make juice? emotion_awesome

Also, does throwing money constitute as insulting the government? lol

I didn't start Sex Ed til like... 7th. I don't say anything directly though, if you want to make a joke about how much you love a person, don't be nasty about it, and don't use the nasty words either. Leave it to thought, use some sort of innuendo, or imply that you love someone "this much". Isn't that how Gaia made a good number of our EI and RIG items, anyway? emotion_awesome

Ah, you threw me in a loophole sir. Thanks for destroying my simple and silly example!<3

Now, the argument on Gaia's Items is a whole different ball game. I will certainly say I don't agree with all their items and it is a bit double-standard.

Alien Bandit

29,340 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Hero 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
Ok seriously? This announcement is not going to stop

ANYONE from breaking the rules because they have been for years because no one bothers

reading them when they join, and there's just not enough actual enforcement on the site. Towns is

completely overrun by cyber sex, and you can report them by the hundreds and they'll come back

in the thousands and do the same thing again. It's like killing cockroaches with sand it can't be

done. The only way to fix it is by installing a filter on the site that automatically catches trigger

words and reports them. it's the only way to actually truly stop the s**t people do to break the

rules on here. And personally I don't think that Gaia should penalize us for cybering people

reporting us for stopping them from cybering in towns, because technically what we did was stop

them from breaking the rules, and because they reported us WE are the ones who pay for it.

Also they need to appoint more mods to the towns that have the authority to ban on sight

cybering users, and have them target the obvious cybering topics. The problem does not lie so

much in the forums, but in the flash environments. Yes patrol the forums, but please put just as

much emphasis on the flash environments as well because they're just as bad. Now I've said my

peace and expect to be flamed for my efforts, but I think that these are the main areas that could

use focus even if it's not going to stop them it might scare them a bit from being so open about

rule breaking. Because when there is no one there to stop them we will troll them into stopping

instead.
The "Saying you are under 13 years old" is still what I find silly. Especially if one means it in a jesting manner. I do understand that they have an age limit. I recall users on other sites that had their account banned just for using that meme. Most notably SWTOR.

Wheezing Phantom

11,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
Kady Candy
Rude Comments
Kady Candy
Rude Comments
So much for "freedom of speech."
What if we were just spreading the facts? Will you ban us either way?
See what happens when you follow the butthurt media/government?

If you're spreading facts then it'll be alright. If you're being a d**k and harassing someone who said to please not make a huge joke of rape, saying you'll ''rape them then <333'', it's bannable. Yes, I've seen people like that, and reported them.

The general harmful stuff I understand.
Speaking of the cold hard truth, and someone getting offended by it. Resulting for that person to get reported/banned is what I'm worrying about.

The cold hard truth is everyone who makes those jokes, would be assholish to harass someone over even asking to stop the joking, it's not fun. A good chunk of them are that immature.
Example of what worries you is a bannable offense?

>Someone talking about... hmm. Whitney Houston in a forum?...
>Say's how great she was and completely avoids the dark side of her career.

>Someone comes into the plate and say's "Meh she isn't so great. She was never actually took care of herself, more or less her daughter. Getting on drugs, etc. She most likely have died in that tub taking some kind of drug."

>RAGERAGERAGERAGE/ Argument.

>*Get's reported for someones entire different opinion. Saying I'm a so called "hater" and should get a "life." In which I replied disgustingly to said person, and may possibly get banned.*
I've learned to take jokes seriously from living in a family of passive aggressive jerks. Many a truth is spoken in jest.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff