Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feel free to share them and to rant.

Timid Sweetheart

13,375 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Friendly 100
Well, one of my pet peeves is whenever the writer puts hints of another pairing in the story when the story is only supposed to focus on the one paring you want. That just annoys me so much for some reason. sweatdrop

Distinct Lunatic

The disclaimers on every new chapter of a story.

Make it on the first chapter you post and be done with it D: I know you don't own the characters already!

Shameless Loiterer

13,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Champion 300
Shizuko Rin

Make it on the first chapter you post and be done with it D: I know you don't own the characters already!

Haha, that is true. For my last fanfic I put the disclaimer at the end of the last chapter in the extras section, but that was mostly because I forgot about it for the rest of the fic. No one seems to have cared, least of all the copyright holders. Like any of them would give enough of a s**t to go hunting for something like that.

Anyway, I think my pet peeve is the lack of originality I've been seeing in fanfiction. For years now, most of the stories have been pretty much copy paste of every other story. Like every fandom can only have five story lines or something.

Distinct Lunatic

Aha
Shizuko Rin

Haha, that is true. For my last fanfic I put the disclaimer at the end of the last chapter in the extras section, but that was mostly because I forgot about it for the rest of the fic. No one seems to have cared, least of all the copyright holders. Like any of them would give enough of a s**t to go hunting for something like that.

Anyway, I think my pet peeve is the lack of originality I've been seeing in fanfiction. For years now, most of the stories have been pretty much copy paste of every other story. Like every fandom can only have five story lines or something.

I will agree with this. It is a shame that there are copy and paste stories but I noticed that some people do the plot really great and then others are bleh. I guess that's how I differentiate between what I am looking for and what I am not.

Another thing I have a problem with are Author's Notes that are just a little lengthy. A story inside a story!

In my opinion, Do not:
-Apologize for real life snags, s**t happens, amirite.
-Spoil your story in your author note!
-Thank each and every reviewer on the chapter, PMs work best!
Shizuko Rin

I never put disclaimers. emotion_dowant

@Thread: I dislike speedy romances. ]: I myself fall into the trap, but I usually only write short stories (with one or two chapters maximum). I don't have the drive/patience to make an actual "story". That and it seems whenever I do try to make an actual story no one likes it because "I draw the romance out too far". Well that's kinda the point in an 8+ chapter fan story (though I guess since every chapter is 3,000+ words it can be a bit drawn out).
Poor spelling and bad grammar are my ultimate pet peeve.
No plot. Or paragraphs.
Not a fan of original characters in fanfiction. I just cannot seem to get into a story when the author has put in their (typically) mary-sue main character. If it's supporting characters, that's one thing, but when I read fanfiction I like reading about CANNON characters only.

Another pet peeve is when someone abandons a great story. I understand that life gets crazy and we can't update everyday, but I HATE when they flat out stop updating.
I despise it when authors describe certain situations like a three year old. It really bums me out kind of makes me want to cyber glomp them. Seriously, PUT SOME DETAILS IN THERE! scream And agreed with disclaimers thing. I just don't use them anymore. rofl

Distinct Lunatic

I used to do disclaimers on every page but I kicked the habit and I'll either post it once or not bother at all. Makes my story look a lot better cat_rofl

I also dislike OCs :c I actually really hate supporting characters too depending on how they are made to interact with main characters.

6,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Big chunk of dialogue and nothing in between it to show what the characters are doing while talking. Shame not all characters are floating heads chatting amongst themselves.

Beloved Guildswoman

The Phoenix Rises Again
No plot. Or paragraphs.

This is my pet peeve, when you have a large chunk of writing and there are no paragraphs. I don't even bother reading more then a few words out of it.
I don't mind OC's as long as the story is completely seperate from canon and there is absolutely no romance.

Invisible Hunter

5,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
- OC x Canon smut
- Mary Sues
- Pairings that make no sense canonically
- Crossovers
- Canons that are OOC
- Bad spelling/grammar
- Tons of purple prose
Deathrite2
The Phoenix Rises Again
No plot. Or paragraphs.

This is my pet peeve, when you have a large chunk of writing and there are no paragraphs. I don't even bother reading more then a few words out of it.
I don't mind OC's as long as the story is completely seperate from canon and there is absolutely no romance.

I've made workable canon OC's and romance with them. The story was about the other characters, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff