Welcome to Gaia! ::

The drivers should pay attention

Adored Sweetheart

I do agree with that! I'm starting to see a lot of people now are just walking right in the middle of the road. With busy dangerous traffic!

Timid Gawker

lord_william_nilsson
In my country (the netherlands) we have about as many bicyles as we have inhabitants. People are so used to there being cyclists on the road that accidents rarely happen.
My opinion, more people should ride bikes. It's not only healthier and better for the environment, but the more bikes on the road, the less cars that can cause accidents. The more people get on a bike, the safer it becomes.
Quote:

Netherlands:

People: 16,652,800
Bicycles: 16,500,000
Cyclists: ~99.1%

In the Netherlands 27% of all trips and 25% of trips to work are made by bike. The average distance cycled per person per day is 2.5 km. Holland and bicycles go together like bread and jam. Despite the recession the cycle-happy Dutch are still spending a lot of money on their bicycles - nearly 1 billion euros’ worth a year. About 1.3 million bicycles were sold in the Netherlands in 2009, at an average price of 713 euros ($1,008 ) each. Amsterdam (the capital and largest city of the Netherlands) is one of the most bicycle-friendly large cities in the world. It has 400 km of bike lanes and nearly 40% of all commutes in Amsterdam are done on bike. Strangely, most cyclists don’t wear helmets. And bike theft is a big problem, with about one of five (20%) bicycles being stolen each year.

For comparison:

USA:

People: 310,936,000
Bicycles: 100,000,000
Bicylists: ~32,2%

In the USA only 0,9% of all trips are made by bike. The average distance cycled per person is 0.1 km.

source: http://top10hell.com/top-10-countries-with-most-bicycles-per-capita/

Going to college is 32 km and going to a friends house is 8 km. It's not practical in most of the States.

Greedy Consumer

xolorus
i don't care how experiences you are, and how you're experienced and all. that is besides the point. because the reality is, the people in the cars don't follow the rules of the road, speed, run reds, and they will run you over and kill you.
someone in my area on a bike gets killed by a car every month.
Retards are stupid, i dont go around advertising it though.

Conservative Citizen

Maybe you just live in a bad/unsafe area. Road safety is obviously going to differ from area to area. I live in Florida and people comment all the time how drivers are horrible here.

I always use common sense and caution when biking and always choose to bike on the sidewalks, when present. I don't like using bike lanes on main roads, since there's so much traffic and I'd rather not have to think about all the cars flying by me. I'm fine with using the bike lanes on campus where there's less traffic. If I'm coming home at night, I just turn on the lights on my bike. I have lights in the front and back of my bike.
Summary: Both bicyclists and car drivers are stupid.

Conclusion: Stop building all your stupid s**t so far apart so we can walk and take trains and you won't have to b***h about safety.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
If there is a bike lane on the road I use it, and motorists have no cause to complain, I am in the right lane.

Otherwise I ride on the extreme left shoulder of the road as the law requires, so I am in the right place. (In Australia we drive on the left hand side of the road.)

Dapper Lunatic

In my town, the cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists are all equally jerky and stupid. The pedestrians like to use the turn lane as a sidewalk/traffic island, and j-walk at ever opportunity even though there are crosswalks EVERYWHERE (seriously, I've never seen so many crosswalks). They also don't bother to check for traffic, because in this university town, they have the right of way and they wield it like a weapon. The cyclists don't know or care what rules apply to them and get in everyone's way. I almost never see one signal properly, many ride on the wrong side of the road, and it's just so f***ing wonderful when a darkly clothed cyclist with no lights or reflectors darts out in front of traffic in the middle of the night. And the motorists just hate everyone. They're impatient, unsafe, and don't even bother to look for bikes and foot traffic once they're out of the immediate downtown area, even if there are bike lanes and pedestrian crossing lights.

Fanatical Zealot

Dear xolorus, based on your first and second post, I wouldn't say that people who ride bikes on the street aren't necessarily stupid. There are times when bikes need to or it is a lot easier for them to ride on the road. If drivers would obey the rules there would be many less people getting killed like that there. Of course, people riding should have the sense to keep to the left (or right, depending on your country) side of the road so cars have room to overtake them safely and they may be able to ride further from the road if there is a car coming up and they can do so, for their own safety. People in cars must also understand that there are people out there who have the same rights that they do and need to be more careful and try to obey the road rules. If cars "run reds, drive on the sidewalks, cut off school buses." etc, then obviously they are in the wrong.
xolorus
i don't care how experiences you are, and how you're experienced and all. that is besides the point. because the reality is, the people in the cars don't follow the rules of the road, speed, run reds, and they will run you over and kill you.
someone in my area on a bike gets killed by a car every month.
Are you in Italy or something? I've been there once in my life during a port call while in the Navy and, while dining at a restaurant with some friends, there were two accidents involving people on bicycles and people driving like maniacs... On a congested city road... We were only there for an hour, mind you...

Dapper Gawker

It's illegal to ride on the sidewalk here. Some areas have bicycle symbols on the road. Some even have their own section on the road.

Hygienic Smoker

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
This one guy was riding properly in the bike lane. Then he suddenly darted across the road to take a left turn (right in front of me). I was thinking "really?"

Dedicated Informer

xZaebos
lord_william_nilsson
In my country (the netherlands) we have about as many bicyles as we have inhabitants. People are so used to there being cyclists on the road that accidents rarely happen.
My opinion, more people should ride bikes. It's not only healthier and better for the environment, but the more bikes on the road, the less cars that can cause accidents. The more people get on a bike, the safer it becomes.
Quote:

Netherlands:

People: 16,652,800
Bicycles: 16,500,000
Cyclists: ~99.1%

In the Netherlands 27% of all trips and 25% of trips to work are made by bike. The average distance cycled per person per day is 2.5 km. Holland and bicycles go together like bread and jam. Despite the recession the cycle-happy Dutch are still spending a lot of money on their bicycles - nearly 1 billion euros’ worth a year. About 1.3 million bicycles were sold in the Netherlands in 2009, at an average price of 713 euros ($1,008 ) each. Amsterdam (the capital and largest city of the Netherlands) is one of the most bicycle-friendly large cities in the world. It has 400 km of bike lanes and nearly 40% of all commutes in Amsterdam are done on bike. Strangely, most cyclists don’t wear helmets. And bike theft is a big problem, with about one of five (20%) bicycles being stolen each year.

For comparison:

USA:

People: 310,936,000
Bicycles: 100,000,000
Bicylists: ~32,2%

In the USA only 0,9% of all trips are made by bike. The average distance cycled per person is 0.1 km.

source: http://top10hell.com/top-10-countries-with-most-bicycles-per-capita/

Going to college is 32 km and going to a friends house is 8 km. It's not practical in most of the States.

Travel by bus or train to college. Ride your bike for 20 minutes to go to your friends. 20 minutes really isn't that bad, I do it all the time. It's healthy and I can't think of any reason except laziness not to go by bike. If you do it regularly, you get a decent work-out and you actually save time and money by not having to go to the gym. How's that for being practical?
And it's alot better for the environment, but that should go without saying.

FYI, I travel 54 km to work every day using my bike and the train. 32 km should be a walk in the park. Oh yeah, most of my friends live a 15-20 minute bike ride away.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff