Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gawker

Haha Coffee
xolorus
Haha Coffee
xolorus
Haha Coffee
In my country it's illegal to ride bikes on the path, so while commuting I have to ride on the road.

Also, speak for your own stupid country, by and large moterist's follow the rules of the road very well and I have very few problems with them when I cycle.

If anything it's cyclists who need to learn the ******** what there doing on the road.

my country isn't stupid. . .why are you also so quick to insult people like that? "oh, he's different that me. he's from a different place. he's a different religion. he must be stupid!" that's pretty much how all your posts go.

Not all of them.

But if you are actually proposing that the majority of motorists in your country can't drive.
The majority are stupid, as are your national regulations for allowing them to drive in the first place when they are obviously incapable.

Quote:
the cars in my city run reds, drive on the sidewalks, cut off school buses. people are getting killed by them all the time, especially bikers.

This happens everywhere.

Quote:
everyone thinks you Irish are a bunch of drunks. i bet you don't like how that's the general consensus about you're people. maybe I'll say that to you right now, that everything you say is stupid, because you are a drunk. wouldn't that just be plain rude, uncalled for, and ignorant of me?

Us Irish are a bunch of drunks, as a nation we have one of the highest Alcohol abuse and dependency rates in the world , per capita we consume more Alcohol than any other nation in the world.
We have a rediculous Alcohol culture.

Most men I know spend more time down the local than at home with the family.

You are also free to call me a drunk if you want, it would be silly since im a T-totaler.
But im not so p***y as to get offended by a few mean words over the big bad internet.

Edit: Damnit, just checked we no longer top the per-capita consumption rate, we have fallen from grace!

so you are irish! i knew you lived in britain, but i always thought you were originally from ireland.

I'm originally from there and I go over every now and again to visit family and to generally chill.

Quote:
my country isn't stupid. it's that most of our people are selfish and have no consideration for anyone else. there is a difference.

Not much of a difference, I would say emotional immaturity like that falls under the wide banner of "Stupid" it's a very generic and multi-applicable term.

Quote:
who has the most drunks now? is it Quebec? the whole place is just rednecks and bars.
Moldova apparently, but that comes from a lot of "professional speculation" since evidence is hard to find.

don't even get me started on that. the majority of people who have temper tantrums in public places are ******** adults. a guy was flipping out in the supermarket, because there were no Ice Cream cakes. And someone said to him, "there's a Cold Stone two blocks away which probably would have better cakes then a grocery store anyway." and he's like, "That's besides the point. the grocery store should have ice cream cakes. I'm never shopping here again!" then he stormed out. the worst part was that the store actually did have ice cream cakes. it's just that they were in the frozen section, and this guy was looking in the bakery section. since when are ice cream cakes baked?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Yay! I get to use this image again!

User Image

Dedicated Informer

xolorus
lord_william_nilsson
xolorus
lord_william_nilsson
In my country (the netherlands) we have about as many bicyles as we have inhabitants. People are so used to there being cyclists on the road that accidents rarely happen.
My opinion, more people should ride bikes. It's not only healthier and better for the environment, but the more bikes on the road, the less cars that can cause accidents. The more people get on a bike, the safer it becomes.
Quote:

Netherlands:

People: 16,652,800
Bicycles: 16,500,000
Cyclists: ~99.1%

In the Netherlands 27% of all trips and 25% of trips to work are made by bike. The average distance cycled per person per day is 2.5 km. Holland and bicycles go together like bread and jam. Despite the recession the cycle-happy Dutch are still spending a lot of money on their bicycles - nearly 1 billion euros’ worth a year. About 1.3 million bicycles were sold in the Netherlands in 2009, at an average price of 713 euros ($1,008 ) each. Amsterdam (the capital and largest city of the Netherlands) is one of the most bicycle-friendly large cities in the world. It has 400 km of bike lanes and nearly 40% of all commutes in Amsterdam are done on bike. Strangely, most cyclists don’t wear helmets. And bike theft is a big problem, with about one of five (20%) bicycles being stolen each year.

For comparison:

USA:

People: 310,936,000
Bicycles: 100,000,000
Bicylists: ~32,2%

In the USA only 0,9% of all trips are made by bike. The average distance cycled per person is 0.1 km.

source: http://top10hell.com/top-10-countries-with-most-bicycles-per-capita/

i'm not saying it's unhealthy. i'm saying the people where i live are angry, arrogant, lazy ******** who don't give a s**t about anyone else but themselves, and they drive round with no regard for anyone else, so it is not safe for people to ride bikes on our roads. if everyone were driving bikes and not cars, it would be different.

I understand what you said. I'm just saying that, to me, there seem to be more reasons to start using a bike than to discourage others not to use one.
With every person that gets on a bike, it becomes relatively safer for the other cyclists. If less people start using bikes, it becomes even more dangerous for those who still do.

the people in my country are fat and lazy. most 20 year olds can't even walk up one flight of stairs without getting tired. they get most of their calories from Starbucks(you think McDonald's is bad, Starbucks is worse. It's all ******** sugar. At least mcdonalds has some protein and some lettuce on those burgers), adn then they expect me to feel sorry for the because they feel sick.
I asked this girl once, "why are you taking the elevator down? it's only 4 flights of stairs(going down, not even going up)" and she's like, "oh, ,my back hurts". yeah, your back hurts because you're fat. start using the stairs.
and then you offer these people an apple or something, and they flip out and look at you like, "what makes you think I would eat an apple?" like you're terrible person for suggesting they eat a fruit. and they won't try new foods. I offered quinoa to them once, and they're like, "i'm not eating that! i'll stick to my white rice instead."

i'd hate to see what USA is like, because if my country is like this, and their country is the laziest country in the world, it must be unimagineable there

All the more reason for people to start riding bikes. I'm not the healthiest person when it comes to picking my diet. I eat pizza, french fries, etc. more than once a week. But since I ride my bike to and from work every day (one hour every day), I'm still pretty skinny.

Gawker

lord_william_nilsson
xolorus
lord_william_nilsson
xolorus
lord_william_nilsson
In my country (the netherlands) we have about as many bicyles as we have inhabitants. People are so used to there being cyclists on the road that accidents rarely happen.
My opinion, more people should ride bikes. It's not only healthier and better for the environment, but the more bikes on the road, the less cars that can cause accidents. The more people get on a bike, the safer it becomes.
Quote:

Netherlands:

In the Netherlands 27% of all trips and 25% of trips to work are made by bike. The average distance cycled per person per day is 2.5 km. Holland and bicycles go together like bread and jam. Despite the recession the cycle-happy Dutch are still spending a lot of money on their bicycles - nearly 1 billion euros’ worth a year. About 1.3 million bicycles were sold in the Netherlands in 2009, at an average price of 713 euros ($1,008 ) each. Amsterdam (the capital and largest city of the Netherlands) is one of the most bicycle-friendly large cities in the world. It has 400 km of bike lanes and nearly 40% of all commutes in Amsterdam are done on bike. Strangely, most cyclists don’t wear helmets. And bike theft is a big problem, with about one of five (20%) bicycles being stolen each year.

For comparison:

USA:

In the USA only 0,9% of all trips are made by bike. The average distance cycled per person is 0.1 km.

i'm not saying it's unhealthy. i'm saying the people where i live are angry, arrogant, lazy ******** who don't give a s**t about anyone else but themselves, and they drive round with no regard for anyone else, so it is not safe for people to ride bikes on our roads. if everyone were driving bikes and not cars, it would be different.

I understand what you said. I'm just saying that, to me, there seem to be more reasons to start using a bike than to discourage others not to use one.
With every person that gets on a bike, it becomes relatively safer for the other cyclists. If less people start using bikes, it becomes even more dangerous for those who still do.

the people in my country are fat and lazy. most 20 year olds can't even walk up one flight of stairs without getting tired. they get most of their calories from Starbucks(you think McDonald's is bad, Starbucks is worse. It's all ******** sugar. At least mcdonalds has some protein and some lettuce on those burgers), adn then they expect me to feel sorry for the because they feel sick.
I asked this girl once, "why are you taking the elevator down? it's only 4 flights of stairs(going down, not even going up)" and she's like, "oh, ,my back hurts". yeah, your back hurts because you're fat. start using the stairs.
and then you offer these people an apple or something, and they flip out and look at you like, "what makes you think I would eat an apple?" like you're terrible person for suggesting they eat a fruit. and they won't try new foods. I offered quinoa to them once, and they're like, "i'm not eating that! i'll stick to my white rice instead."

i'd hate to see what USA is like, because if my country is like this, and their country is the laziest country in the world, it must be unimagineable there

All the more reason for people to start riding bikes. I'm not the healthiest person when it comes to picking my diet. I eat pizza, french fries, etc. more than once a week. But since I ride my bike to and from work every day (one hour every day), I'm still pretty skinny.

yeah. i know. but i've tried to make people not lazy. they just get mad at me, and tell me they dont' have the level of fitness required to take a half an hour walk or to climb up a flight of stairs. if they need to take a bus somewhere, and the bus stop is a 20 minute walk away, but there is another bus that can take them there, they will wait for 15 minutes for a bus to take them to a bus stop a 20 minute walk away.

Dedicated Informer

xolorus
lord_william_nilsson
xolorus
lord_william_nilsson
xolorus

yeah. i know. but i've tried to make people not lazy. they just get mad at me, and tell me they dont' have the level of fitness required to take a half an hour walk or to climb up a flight of stairs. if they need to take a bus somewhere, and the bus stop is a 20 minute walk away, but there is another bus that can take them there, they will wait for 15 minutes for a bus to take them to a bus stop a 20 minute walk away.

The thing is, you can't make people do anything. All you can do is try to live healthy yourself and hope other people will see the benefit. I used to want to change people aswell, now I try to focus on myself and how I can become a better person. It's much more constructive and gratifying.
I understand your frustration, though.

Timid Vampire

10,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Streaker 200
User Image

User ImageWell not everyone can afford a car, OP.

My senior year of high school when I worked at Zaxbys, I often rode my bike home at night with no back breaks.
I had to because my mom wasn't going to pick me up from work and it would have taken 5x as long walking home.
And after a day of school and a night of work, I wasn't about to put my safety first when the maximum sleep I got those nights was 3 or 4 hours, anyway.

xolorus
my country isn't stupid

xolorus
the cars in my city run reds, drive on the sidewalks, cut off school buses. people are getting killed by them all the time, especially bikers.
Either you're exaggerating or your country IS stupid.
The bold part really got me. How is driving on the sidewalk safer for bikers if CARS ARE DRIVING THERE!?!

Rainbow Fairy

Well, the only stupid thing for bikers to do is to use the road when there is a bike lane. Other than that, I think bikers are doing the environment a favor by reducing their carbon-footprints, which is a very smart, wise decision.

Rainbow Fairy

The20

What they stated are true, as I've seen it in the news 3nodding
that's why every place needs sidewalks or bike lines, it just makes sense.
not everybody can afford to maintain a car. riding a bike is healthy. and i think it's the law that a bike has to be ridden on the road.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
In my city, it is ILLEGAL to ride a bike on the sidewalk. There are bike lanes (that are, gasp, located on the roads) and bike paths for a reason where I live. When a bicyclist wants to make a left, they make a left turn hand signal, look behind them to make sure it's safe to pull into traffic, and then pull over into the left turn lane.

But I live in one of the most bike-friendly city, and every driver here KNOWS to expect bicyclists going into traffic when they want to make a turn, so bike-vehicle related accidents aren't common. It's usually bike-to-bike accidents on the bike paths throughout campus that are more common.

(I live in the US btw)

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
lord_william_nilsson
Quote:

Netherlands:

For comparison:

USA:

Just as an FYI, it's not practical for many people in the US to ride a bike most places since they don't live anywhere near where they work. Both of my parents, for example, have a half hour drive to work (not including the time added because of rush hour, which is often quite long). For other people it's worse.

Dedicated Informer

Elraine Figarette
lord_william_nilsson
Quote:

Netherlands:

For comparison:

USA:

Just as an FYI, it's not practical for many people in the US to ride a bike most places since they don't live anywhere near where they work. Both of my parents, for example, have a half hour drive to work (not including the time added because of rush hour, which is often quite long). For other people it's worse.

I ride my bike for half an hour to get to the train station. Then I take the train for another half hour. Finally I walk 15 minutes.

Everything can be practical if you really want it to work.
xolorus
i don't care how experiences you are, and how you're experienced and all. that is besides the point. because the reality is, the people in the cars don't follow the rules of the road, speed, run reds, and they will run you over and kill you.
someone in my area on a bike gets killed by a car every month.

Where I live it's illegal to bike on side walks. It's absolutely stupid because cars don't leave space for bikes and that is very scary. Bikers are told to follow the rules of the road, as they're a vehicle. However many people bike as though no laws apply to them. Like they can b-line across the street like a pedestrian, cars don't expect this from a biker and since they're much faster then peds it causes lots of accidents. I wish more cities would have a separate lane for bikes and a good set of bike laws. This would make it more enjoyable for everyone.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff