• Mark Twain 100
90% of every genre is crap.

Beloved Friend

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ustareth Merope Riddle
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
It's simple: not everyone likes the same kind of music. No one genre is universally popular.

Why do I absolutely loathe rock music? Because it's a dull and redundant form of music that severely lacks variety, and yet so many practitioners act like rock is dynamic. It's not at all. It's a very needy and repetitive genre. It runs on a narrow road, and it will never thrive much further than it has because of its overdependence on a specific instrument. That's how I'll always feel about it.

This argument could probably be turned on pop with synthesizer in place of guitar.

Rainbow Shopper

6,350 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Snake Oil Salesman
Ustareth Merope Riddle
It's simple: not everyone likes the same kind of music. No one genre is universally popular.

Why do I absolutely loathe rock music? Because it's a dull and redundant form of music that severely lacks variety, and yet so many practitioners act like rock is dynamic. It's not at all. It's a very needy and repetitive genre. It runs on a narrow road, and it will never thrive much further than it has because of its overdependence on a specific instrument. That's how I'll always feel about it.

This argument could probably be turned on pop with synthesizer in place of guitar.

>>>Implying that pop music is dependent on a synthesizer to define its sound.

Beloved Friend

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ustareth Merope Riddle
Snake Oil Salesman
Ustareth Merope Riddle

Quote:
overdependence on a specific instrument

This is the part I'm talking about. If rock abhorrently overuses guitar (which it does), then pop overdoses on synthesizers (not always bad thing). If you deny this, you're full of it. Your argument goes both ways, unless I'm misunderstanding your point. Most pop uses a ton of synth, as well as electronically produced drums or synthesized vocal effects, and most rock artists can't figure out how to play anything except guitar. Granted, synthesizer is an extremely diverse instrument and is capable of way more than guitar ever will be, but it gets obnoxious when music uses an extreme amount of synth.

I like pop that uses noticeable guitar mixed in with the synth.

And rock with prominent synth lines.

long story short too much of either instrument sucks

Rainbow Shopper

6,350 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Snake Oil Salesman
Ustareth Merope Riddle
Snake Oil Salesman
Ustareth Merope Riddle

Quote:
overdependence on a specific instrument

This is the part I'm talking about. If rock abhorrently overuses guitar (which it does), then pop overdoses on synthesizers (not always bad thing). If you deny this, you're full of it. Your argument goes both ways, unless I'm misunderstanding your point. Most pop uses a ton of synth, as well as electronically produced drums or synthesized vocal effects, and most rock artists can't figure out how to play anything except guitar. Granted, synthesizer is an extremely diverse instrument and is capable of way more than guitar ever will be, but it gets obnoxious when music uses an extreme amount of synth.

I like pop that uses noticeable guitar mixed in with the synth.

And rock with prominent synth lines.

long story short too much of either instrument sucks

Nothing I'm saying is difficult to understand. I will put it as simply as possible: rock needs a guitar in order to define its sound. Pop does not need a synthesizer in order to be pop. Rock is almost entirely inflexible because its reliant on an instrument that can only do but so much with its sound.

Pop music does use a lot of synthesizers, but what does that have to do with its overall flexibility. I'm speaking of the genre as a whole, rather than certain individuals who exclude themselves to a specific sound. Pop still doesn't have to use it to solidify its sound, and I could argue that its still able to produce a greater variety of sounds than a guitar. If a guitar could do more than it currently does, then it wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Beloved Friend

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ustareth Merope Riddle
Nothing I'm saying is difficult to understand. I will put it as simply as possible: rock needs a guitar in order to define its sound. Pop does not need a synthesizer in order to be pop. Rock is almost entirely inflexible because its reliant on an instrument that can only do but so much with its sound.

Pop music does use a lot of synthesizers, but what does that have to do with its overall flexibility. I'm speaking of the genre as a whole, rather than certain individuals who exclude themselves to a specific sound. Pop still doesn't have to use it to solidify its sound, and I could argue that its still able to produce a greater variety of sounds than a guitar. If a guitar could do more than it currently does, then it wouldn't be so much of a problem.

I stated the bolded part in my post. Synth can in general do more than guitar.

So the guitar is limited, we both agree on that. But you're saying that because of this all rock bands sound the same?

Plenty of rock bands don't even use guitar and are still considered rock but w/e

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
BEAR WITH TRUCKER HAT
911child
BEAR WITH TRUCKER HAT
911child
BEAR WITH TRUCKER HAT
911child
The people i ran into that dont like rock love rap. That is the problem.

there's no problem here

i mean, through my experience the people who liked rap disliked rock

and that's a problem, how

because the ones i have met get mad when i dont like there 'music'

i would get mad if you used scarequotes when talking about their 'music' too

Alright.

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
Zelkiiro
911child
Zelkiiro
911child

I don't like rock, and I don't listen to hip hop.

Where is your god now?

in Heaven where he always is.

Which is why you specifically chose a Bible verse in which Jesus is not mentioned in that specific translation, while in every other translation he is?

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Traditional KJV
"I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me." - 21st Century KJV
"I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me." - Amplified Bible
"Christ gives me the strength to face anything." - Contemporary English Version
"I can do all things because Christ gives me the strength." - New Life Version

You have plenty of other versions to use that gives the proper credit, but with your version, who is "him"? Joe Pesci? Al Pacino? Bill Gates? Bob the Builder? Well, I suppose Bob the Builder could work, because he can fix it.

Honestly only a moron would think it were any of those you suggested.
It's simple, it's not their type of music. That's the beauty of the world. If everyone liked the same things then everything would be boring.

Fashionable Lunatic

8,300 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Hygienic 200
911child
Zelkiiro
911child
Zelkiiro
911child

Where is your god now?

Which is why you specifically chose a Bible verse in which Jesus is not mentioned in that specific translation, while in every other translation he is?

You have plenty of other versions to use that gives the proper credit, but with your version, who is "him"? Joe Pesci? Al Pacino? Bill Gates? Bob the Builder? Well, I suppose Bob the Builder could work, because he can fix it.

George Carlin prayed to Joe Pesci, so that would be a reasonable guess.

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
Zelkiiro
911child
Zelkiiro
911child
Zelkiiro
911child

Where is your god now?

George Carlin prayed to Joe Pesci, so that would be a reasonable guess.

-.-

Interesting Gaian

1,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Nice to see we are all cynical pessimists.

Fashionable Lunatic

8,300 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Hygienic 200
Ronins_Cross

It comes with the territory.

Interesting Gaian

1,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Zelkiiro
Ronins_Cross

It comes with the territory.

Honestly, I've moved away from it a little bit; same goes for behavioral patterns like being antagonistic for the sake of it. Conversational terrorism got boring.

Fashionable Lunatic

8,300 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Hygienic 200
Ronins_Cross
Conversational terrorism got boring.

When you call it that, how could it be boring?!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff