Welcome to Gaia! ::

Prophet

sojikai
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
We've had this discussion a million times here, so I'm not sure what the quality of this thread will be.

And I'm not sure if you are referring to the first metal band, or just the first group (band/musician) to scare people/Satan.
I mean the music. The music that scared the common people, made them feel uneasy and depressed.

People thought KISS were a Satan kind of band just 'cause of their make up, but they're Hard Rock.

Not really.
They got that reputation for several reasons.
The entire word is capitalized. This lead people to believe that it was an acronym for something. With the last two letters in the logo resembling the Nazi SS insignia, people thought that whatever the letters stood for must be something dark and sinister. Rumors quickly spread that "KISS" stood for "Knights In Satan's Service". What with Gene's armor and legendary axe-shaped base, as well as the band's excessive use of pyrotechnics, this fit extremely well. The whole "blood dripping from Gene's freakish tongue" thing helped things along. In an interview, he even stated that he wondered what human flesh tastes like. Plenty of religious types would ask him whether or not he was a devil-worshipper, and he never gave an answer, for publicity reasons. It's better publicity to let them wonder.

Not to mention the whole "loud = dangerous = Satan" thing that's been going on since rock and roll first came to be.
I know that. I wasn't trying to sound like the make up was the sole reason for that.

Prophet

tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
We've had this discussion a million times here, so I'm not sure what the quality of this thread will be.

And I'm not sure if you are referring to the first metal band, or just the first group (band/musician) to scare people/Satan.
I mean the music. The music that scared the common people, made them feel uneasy and depressed.

People thought KISS were a Satan kind of band just 'cause of their make up, but they're Hard Rock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone#Historical_uses
The name diabolus in musica ("the Devil in music".) has been applied to the interval from at least the early 18th century. Johann Joseph Fux cites the phrase in his seminal 1725 work Gradus ad Parnassum, Georg Philipp Telemann in 1733 notes, "mi against fa", which the ancients called "Satan in music", and Johann Mattheson in 1739 writes that the "older singers with solmization called this pleasant interval 'mi contra fa' or 'the devil in music'".[15] Although the latter two of these authors cite the association with the devil as from the past, there are no known citations of this term from the Middle Ages, as is commonly asserted.[16] However Denis Arnold, in the The New Oxford Companion to Music, suggests that the nickname was already applied early in the medieval music itself:
It seems first to have been designated as a "dangerous" interval when Guido of Arezzo developed his system of hexachords and with the introduction of B flat as a diatonic note, at much the same time acquiring its nickname of "Diabolus in Musica" ("the devil in music".).[17]

There are probably definitely older cases.
I'm talking about bands.
Well, I mean, if you really want...

Metal bands. Like I said in the op. You're trying just way too hard.

Hygienic Humorist

Well you posted the first metal band in your OP, so you kinda answered your question.

Prophet

Luna Thoth
Well you posted the first metal band in your OP, so you kinda answered your question.
Not everyone agrees with it, though. I was asking everyone else what they thought.

Hygienic Humorist

Slaughter In The Vatican
Luna Thoth
Not everyone agrees with it, though. I was asking everyone else what they thought.

Those people are this thing called wrong. A lot of proto-metal bands were out before Black Sabbath, but they were the first, 100% full metal band.

Shirtless Seeker

Slaughter In The Vatican
sojikai
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal

Not really.
The entire word is capitalized. This lead people to believe that it was an acronym for something. With the last two letters in the logo resembling the Nazi SS insignia, people thought that whatever the letters stood for must be something dark and sinister. Rumors quickly spread that "KISS" stood for "Knights In Satan's Service". What with Gene's armor and legendary axe-shaped bass, as well as the band's excessive use of pyrotechnics, this fit extremely well. The whole "blood dripping from Gene's freakish tongue" thing helped things along. In an interview, he even stated that he wondered what human flesh tastes like. Plenty of religious types would ask him whether or not he was a devil-worshipper, and he never gave an answer, for publicity reasons. It's better publicity to let them wonder.

Not to mention the whole "loud = dangerous = Satan" thing that's been going on since rock and roll first came to be.
I know that. I wasn't trying to sound like the make up was the sole reason for that.

You said exactly that.

Prophet

sojikai
Slaughter In The Vatican
sojikai
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal

Not really.
The entire word is capitalized. This lead people to believe that it was an acronym for something. With the last two letters in the logo resembling the Nazi SS insignia, people thought that whatever the letters stood for must be something dark and sinister. Rumors quickly spread that "KISS" stood for "Knights In Satan's Service". What with Gene's armor and legendary axe-shaped bass, as well as the band's excessive use of pyrotechnics, this fit extremely well. The whole "blood dripping from Gene's freakish tongue" thing helped things along. In an interview, he even stated that he wondered what human flesh tastes like. Plenty of religious types would ask him whether or not he was a devil-worshipper, and he never gave an answer, for publicity reasons. It's better publicity to let them wonder.

You said exactly that.
Okay? I know the paint wasn't the only reason. I did make it sound like that. I didn't mean to. Big whoop.
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone#Historical_uses
The name diabolus in musica ("the Devil in music".) has been applied to the interval from at least the early 18th century. Johann Joseph Fux cites the phrase in his seminal 1725 work Gradus ad Parnassum, Georg Philipp Telemann in 1733 notes, "mi against fa", which the ancients called "Satan in music", and Johann Mattheson in 1739 writes that the "older singers with solmization called this pleasant interval 'mi contra fa' or 'the devil in music'".[15] Although the latter two of these authors cite the association with the devil as from the past, there are no known citations of this term from the Middle Ages, as is commonly asserted.[16] However Denis Arnold, in the The New Oxford Companion to Music, suggests that the nickname was already applied early in the medieval music itself:
It seems first to have been designated as a "dangerous" interval when Guido of Arezzo developed his system of hexachords and with the introduction of B flat as a diatonic note, at much the same time acquiring its nickname of "Diabolus in Musica" ("the devil in music".).[17]

I'm talking about bands.

You edited the OP, though exclaim

Also:

Luna Thoth

Who would disagree with this? Not to mention this topic has been discussed to death here (and everywhere).

Slaughter In The Vatican
They are wrong. There is no other first metal band.

Prophet

tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal

I'm talking about bands.

Also:

Luna Thoth

Who would disagree with this? Not to mention this topic has been discussed to death here (and everywhere).

Slaughter In The Vatican
Even if I edited it, it was still 'metal band'.

I've met people who consider otherwise. People can have opinions.

The people here seem really ******** hostile for no reason.
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
I'm talking about bands.

Also:

Luna Thoth

Slaughter In The Vatican

No one is being hostile, though.

Who would you say is a candidate for first metal band, outside of Black Sabbath?

Shirtless Seeker

Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
I'm talking about bands.

Also:

Luna Thoth

Slaughter In The Vatican

Genre is fact.

Prophet

tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal

Also:

Luna Thoth

Slaughter In The Vatican

Who would you say is a candidate for first metal band, outside of Black Sabbath?
Well, maybe not hostile, but they don't let anything go, in fact they latch onto things, initiating stupid s**t for no reason.

I don't consider anyone other than Sabbath, I'm saying other people do and they're entitled to think what they want.

Shirtless Seeker

Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican

Also:

Luna Thoth

Slaughter In The Vatican

Well, maybe not hostile, but they don't let anything go, in fact they latch onto things, initiating stupid s**t for no reason.

I don't consider anyone other than Sabbath, I'm saying other people do and they're entitled to think what they want.

Doesn't mean they're not wrong.

Prophet

sojikai
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal

Also:

Luna Thoth

Slaughter In The Vatican

Genre is fact.
I think Sabbath is the first, too. Are you trying to change other peoples opinions through me or something?

Prophet

sojikai
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal
Slaughter In The Vatican
tim is a portal

Also:

Doesn't mean they're not wrong.
Opinions aren't wrong or right.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff