Welcome to Gaia! ::

It sounds like you have a lot of questions.

Good. Don't stop.

While questioning your beliefs can be uncomfortable, the alternative is to be content living in a haze of your own ignorance.

Shameless Mystic

The Jehovah's witnesses are misled by their leaders. Read the bible for yourself, ask your own questions, and find things out on your own. If you're going to look too deeply into them, I suggest you read the bible beforehand. They place a filter over it that might make sense if you read it under their little added ideas, but don't at all if you just read it yourself first.

Religion is not without some guidance, but you will do well to rely on yourself to find truth, and not others. I've learned I must be above my religion. Listen to others, but never follow blindly.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
Sorry it would feel wrong not to stand up for my beliefs. I respect if you don't want to be one anymore, but personally I don't feel like being one has made me miss out in life. It's like saying government laws and taxes are our cause for having a bad life. I do think you should do some personal study about the bible as well as the origin of things. I've really enjoyed learning about the origins of holidays myself. My grandma was a history teacher, so facts about history I love. So I don't think anyone should blame a religion for ruining their lives. If you choose to be religious in anything, you have to make the truth your own. It's good to have questions. Now go do the research for it like a school project. It never hurts to learn new facts. With everything in life there is always a balance. You can just focus on negative things in life. Catholic encyclopedia has been used and website has recently been updated at jw.org. Take the bible in little portions if it gets overwhelming. No reason rushing things you don't understand. Take time to research it.

Devoted Worshipper

9,850 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Go with your gut and what you feel suits you spiritually.

Shameless Mystic

Neverwise
Ignore your gut, and go with your brain.

Distinct Dabbler

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Me? Well...Personally I am a Christian.
I believe in God, I've had the chance to feel his unending love...It truly is the most amazing thing ever. Nothing will ever compare to it.

The problem with Christianity is just as you said, there is so many views on what is right, and what isn't. And often times people will often twist the word to make it suit there own agenda.

I too sometimes struggle with the bible, because although the stuff in the new testament is really good and powerful.

Some of the stuff that happens in the old testament can be confusing and a bit discouraging.

But even if that is the case, the bible is a collection of notes and interviews. It can be hard to fully understand something that isn't as clearly written as a story book would be.

Even if some of the stuff in the old testament can be confusing, I still trust in God. Because I believe and trust that he knows what he's doing. I have a forgiving, loving God. And I want to continue to grow in him, and continue to find out the truth.
I don't claim any sort of authority on this, so I'll just give you the advice I'd give any friend. People might tell you to discover the truth by just reading the Bible for yourself and forming your own opinion. I don't think that's enough- after all there are infinite possible interpretations if one is just reading the words and trying to decide what they mean. Were I counseling someone spiritually, not that I'm qualified at all to do so, I would not feel right just sending them off into the dark to read the Bible and figure it out from nothing.

I don't want to tell you what to think, so I'll just give you the questions I think anyone who is Christian or interested in Christianity should ask. Start where you are, with the JW tradition. The JW see themselves as the re-establishment of the original church from the time of the apostles, right? So test that claim . Look at what the apostles believed and said, what the Christians and the first few centuries established as doctrine and tradition. Learn what early Christianity was really like, and then compare it with JW teaching. Do they match? Do you understand the nature of God and Christ and humanity in the same way that the early Church did? If not, why?

Another important question would be, where does the Bible come from? While all Christians believe it was inspired by God, it's not as if God dropped the completed Christian Bible from the sky. It was written/compiled with a specific meaning and purpose. Therefore, when reading the Bible, one can't always simply ask "what does this mean to me" or "what do I feel about this"- it is important to understand why whatever you're reading was written and why it was chosen by the leadership of the Church to be included. Context does matter- both the context of the author and the context of Church tradition.

Finally, what are the priorities of the JW organization as a whole? What about religion is most important to them (control? power? rules? repentance? love? punishment? reward?), and does that fit with the purpose of Christianity (by which I mean God's purpose for man) based on what you've learned and experienced?

It's good to ask these questions. Even if your beliefs don't change, questioning and seeking answers will help you to really understand and appreciate what you are part of and why.

Devoted Worshipper

9,850 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
False Dichotomy
Neverwise

What is right for you, is not right for everyone. Some people feel better off with a form of religion or spirituality, and some do not. You have no right to tell anyone that they should believe in one thing or another, only that they can; the step to belief or disbelief is entirely their own. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.
Neverwise
False Dichotomy
Neverwise

What is right for you, is not right for everyone.

Hence "your brain", not "my brain".

Shameless Mystic

Neverwise
False Dichotomy
Neverwise

What is right for you, is not right for everyone. Some people feel better off with a form of religion or spirituality, and some do not. You have no right to tell anyone that they should believe in one thing or another, only that they can; the step to belief or disbelief is entirely their own. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.
Do you want what's objectively right? Use your brain. Do you want to follow your base instincts? Follow your gut.

There is no plurality to what is right, merely what you want. The journey is yours, not mine, but I believe your "gut" will lead you astray when it comes to matters of questions and fear.

Timid Explorer

I was in the same boat at one time when I was a young gullible believing Catholic. and when I actually opened the book, I was in confusion as well, something didn't seem right with all this veneration/worship of the saints and the usage of rosary's. But at the same time there was so many denominations and interpretations, so which was correct? The answer I came to was, why should it matter what the denomination is as long as it's bible based (which in actuality a lot of churches might not be), no law says you're obligated to join any group after all, not really biblical in my perspective (Jesus > religion/denomination). And if it came down to reading the Bible with uncertainty, I just had 2 different versions and compared.

**My answer here would be to just keep with your gut feeling but keep your thoughts and mind in the center, feelings can be very manipulative sometimes. Pray (if you still do, there's nothing like asking The Almighty for help).
Not sure if you read the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, heard Jehovah Witnesses (Watchtower Society) revised and edited it. ~Just leaving that out there

Good luck on your path smile
>.> So, I've never celebrated my birthday. Then again, hard to do when you forget the date.

I'd suggest picking something that suits your life. Look at your goals, your wants, & your needs. Don't chip away at yourself so you can fit somewhere. And if you can't find a place, then remember, you can always just make up your own religion.

Just don't be a hippie, I hate hippies...

11,225 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
LovelyLone
I really don't know what to think. I was raised one and considered it horrible. I didn't believe in it and felt like it just hurt my chances at being normal in so many ways. I don't ever expect my birthday to be celebrated and it still hurts.
I'd surprisingly taken an interest in religion recently and the more I actually read the bible, the more confused I am. They seem so right yet so wrong. I worry about the wolves in sheep's clothing, yet wondering at the same time if maybe, just maybe they are right. The whole of Christianity is so vast and there are so many different takes on it I don't know what to believe.
What do you guys think?
Read the scriptures. Form your questions. Ask your questions and pray about the questions and the answers people have given you and pray about what you feel to be true. keep an open mind and heart.
False Dichotomy
Neverwise

Better yet, find something that works for both. Just remember, the gut follows the brain, not the other way around.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff