Welcome to Gaia! ::

?

That's a REAL woman 0.23571428571429 23.6% [ 33 ]
That's a FAT woman 0.55714285714286 55.7% [ 78 ]
A real woman is smaller than this and bigger than skinny.. No exceptions 0.20714285714286 20.7% [ 29 ]
Total Votes:[ 140 ]
< 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12 >

Gracious Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
There is no "real" woman. All women are different and have different types of bodies. No such thing as "real" or "perfect" exists.
There are only 3 types of bodies humans can have. There are 3 billion women. Quite a few women even look alike as studies show people who look alike hang out. What say you with your individualist nonsense that tries to make everyone out to be a special snowflake!

I am just saying that there is no such thing as a 'real' woman. All women are different, even within those generalised groups that you cite. Due to the natural differences, there cannot be such a thing as a 'real' women. My 'individualistic nonsese', as you say, just accepts these differences as being natural. Your generalistic nonsense pushes millions of women to try and have the 'real' and 'perfect' body, making them have to starve themselves or eat far too much than what is good for the body.

What if the term "Real Woman" refers to the Average woman? Which is what it is: It is not that the opposite of the RW is a Fake but rather an unrealistic or extreme version of a female. Media culture finds those who are not the norm to be novel and therefore the populace demands novelty and the media pushes these women. Even a very healthy female is not going to be pencil thin in most cases however these "little bitches" that are a sexual fad cause discomfort for the general populace much like Hugh Jackman ( Whom I Hate ) causes me discomfort. All the time. Everyday.

Anyway my "nonsense" is a real phenomenon where women who are average gather together under a banner and say "We're average, nothing is wrong with us, ******** your media!" however as with most everything humans do, esp. women, misguided rage is incorporated and you get the battle between those skinny bitches who the media propagates and the normal woman. The really fat woman also tries to sneak into the average woman club and hide under the banner but... well she's fat so she can't hide behind anything, even large groups of people.

I was taking 'real' women as the type of figure that is desirable, the 'real' figure that everyone should strive to have (I interpreted this from the op). If it refers to someone with an average weight then the question changes completely, like you just said. However I don't think that the media just seeks those who are not the norm. I have yet to see perfume adverts featuring very obese people. Social cognitions aren't composed entirely by things such as seeking things that aren't the 'norm'. I didn't mean 'real' women in that way, I really have nothing against what you said there. I was merely arguing from a different definition of a 'real' women. I agree with what you just said.
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
There is no "real" woman. All women are different and have different types of bodies. No such thing as "real" or "perfect" exists.
There are only 3 types of bodies humans can have. There are 3 billion women. Quite a few women even look alike as studies show people who look alike hang out. What say you with your individualist nonsense that tries to make everyone out to be a special snowflake!

I am just saying that there is no such thing as a 'real' woman. All women are different, even within those generalised groups that you cite. Due to the natural differences, there cannot be such a thing as a 'real' women. My 'individualistic nonsese', as you say, just accepts these differences as being natural. Your generalistic nonsense pushes millions of women to try and have the 'real' and 'perfect' body, making them have to starve themselves or eat far too much than what is good for the body.

What if the term "Real Woman" refers to the Average woman? Which is what it is: It is not that the opposite of the RW is a Fake but rather an unrealistic or extreme version of a female. Media culture finds those who are not the norm to be novel and therefore the populace demands novelty and the media pushes these women. Even a very healthy female is not going to be pencil thin in most cases however these "little bitches" that are a sexual fad cause discomfort for the general populace much like Hugh Jackman ( Whom I Hate ) causes me discomfort. All the time. Everyday.

Anyway my "nonsense" is a real phenomenon where women who are average gather together under a banner and say "We're average, nothing is wrong with us, ******** your media!" however as with most everything humans do, esp. women, misguided rage is incorporated and you get the battle between those skinny bitches who the media propagates and the normal woman. The really fat woman also tries to sneak into the average woman club and hide under the banner but... well she's fat so she can't hide behind anything, even large groups of people.

I was taking 'real' women as the type of figure that is desirable, the 'real' figure that everyone should strive to have (I interpreted this from the op). If it refers to someone with an average weight then the question changes completely, like you just said. However I don't think that the media just seeks those who are not the norm. I have yet to see perfume adverts featuring very obese people. Social cognitions aren't composed entirely by things such as seeking things that aren't the 'norm'. I didn't mean 'real' women in that way, I really have nothing against what you said there. I was merely arguing from a different definition of a 'real' women. I agree with what you just said.
The media seeks whichever is least offensive however both underweight and overweight women have gotten jeers though there are indeed commercials featuring overweight women esp. in relation to housewife roles. Youth and fashion are generally attributed to the skinny and maturity, solidity, and age are attributed to the fatter women. Only commercials where the stars advertise their own things really break this trend.

I do not agree though that society doesn't crave all that isn't novel. Novelty itself is the very basis of advertisement. It's why we make stupid car commercials. From sex appeal to seriousness every person, esp. for females as many if not most adverts target them, fits a role and all those roles portray extremes. This is what leads us to the figure that is desirable in the first place; let's say you're a tight bodied blonde but have small breasts? No. Out. A fiery but fat redhead? No. Out. Huge thighs with disproportionate waist? Out. Washboard? Out. Etc. The thing is there's more than one 'real' figure for every point in life! It is better for you to be the busty and plump mother of two than for you to be the same as a teenager and truthfully being as skinny as a teenager when you're 32 is not necessarily optimal! But anyway, my point is made. I should take a nap.
Suicidesoldier#1
Um, idk.
My bff Jill?

Gracious Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Brandan J Cromartie
The media seeks whichever is least offensive however both underweight and overweight women have gotten jeers though there are indeed commercials featuring overweight women esp. in relation to housewife roles. Youth and fashion are generally attributed to the skinny and maturity, solidity, and age are attributed to the fatter women. Only commercials where the stars advertise their own things really break this trend.

I do not agree though that society doesn't crave all that isn't novel. Novelty itself is the very basis of advertisement. It's why we make stupid car commercials. From sex appeal to seriousness every person, esp. for females as many if not most adverts target them, fits a role and all those roles portray extremes. This is what leads us to the figure that is desirable in the first place; let's say you're a tight bodied blonde but have small breasts? No. Out. A fiery but fat redhead? No. Out. Huge thighs with disproportionate waist? Out. Washboard? Out. Etc. The thing is there's more than one 'real' figure for every point in life! It is better for you to be the busty and plump mother of two than for you to be the same as a teenager and truthfully being as skinny as a teenager when you're 32 is not necessarily optimal! But anyway, my point is made. I should take a nap.

The media seeks whatever is best to sell a specific product, not "whichever is least offensive". It will use social conceptions for this. In the case of perfumes, for example, it will be skinny women. This use of skinny women for these type of adverts isn't because it isn't something 'new' (it has been used for several of the past decades). The media can't care less about if it is offensive to overweight of skinny women (unless it is something that could get the advert removed), it cares about getting the product sold. However it is true that only adverts where the stars advertise their own things break this trend, but even then this depends since they have to stick by what fashion dictates (although this depends on the effect that they want to get).

I didn't say that society craves everything that isn't novel, I just said that it didn't always have to crave what is novel. Adverts are based on conceptions that we have and that will help to sell the product, not new things. When these conceptions change, so do the things used in adverts. What you say in that last part is true though, these adverts are based in surreal types of women whose appearance often has been altered with Photoshop. This is a cruel and bad thing to do (as we can all see by the effects that it can have, which can be women starving themselves until they reach a very unhealthy body state).
I voted real woman because the fact that she is overweight doesn't take away from the fact that she is, you know, a woman. Fat and real are not incompatible with each other. Being fat doesn't make her a fake woman. Being fat doesn't mean she's not a woman. Being fat doesn't make her less of a woman. Your poll options are terrible... and quite telling.
I don't understand how you can complain about people doing this to you and in the next breath do it to others. Fuuuuck me, you want to talk about hypocrisy. emotion_facepalm
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie

The media seeks whatever is best to sell a specific product, not "whichever is least offensive". It will use social conceptions for this. In the case of perfumes, for example, it will be skinny women. This use of skinny women for these type of adverts isn't because it isn't something 'new' (it has been used for several of the past decades). The media can't care less about if it is offensive to overweight of skinny women (unless it is something that could get the advert removed), it cares about getting the product sold. However it is true that only adverts where the stars advertise their own things break this trend, but even then this depends since they have to stick by what fashion dictates (although this depends on the effect that they want to get).

I didn't say that society craves everything that isn't novel, I just said that it didn't always have to crave what is novel. Adverts are based on conceptions that we have and that will help to sell the product, not new things. When these conceptions change, so do the things used in adverts. What you say in that last part is true though, these adverts are based in surreal types of women whose appearance often has been altered with Photoshop. This is a cruel and bad thing to do (as we can all see by the effects that it can have, which can be women starving themselves until they reach a very unhealthy body state).

I think whichever is least offensive tends to be the same thing. No one wants to see a fat punk rocker chick flabbing all over the place to sell a cutting edge movie unless it's a Comedy/parody. I am so sorry my fat punk rocker readers. The use of thin women with perfumes is to appeal to youth while the use of average or older women is to appeal to sophistication and not idiocy. You don't see young women in White Diamonds and you don't see old women in AppleBottom Cherry Stupid Spice Duh commercials. But you are wrong about the media caring: The entire purpose of an advertisement is to get people to care and turning them off is one way to turn off your product! As a matter of fact it is ironic to say A ) the media responds to the people and then B ) the media doesn't care who it offends. Quite the contrary actually. The media is nothing more than a child of it's People, it's viewers, shaped by it's consumers it not only cares it coddles and cradles the very notions we hold deeply. That's why they photoshop in the first place.

The Real Woman 'movement' if you will is just trying to change the conceptions. There are actually women who struggle to gain weight because they are severely underweight and that too makes you ugly. Being skinny is not the 100%. The thing is many people see skinny people as ... well 'lucky' but that's due to the average now hitting obese and unhealthy to begin with for a great part of the first world.

Darkesu's Darling

Perhaps they don't understand what the word real means.

Gracious Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie

I think whichever is least offensive tends to be the same thing. No one wants to see a fat punk rocker chick flabbing all over the place to sell a cutting edge movie unless it's a Comedy/parody. I am so sorry my fat punk rocker readers. The use of thin women with perfumes is to appeal to youth while the use of average or older women is to appeal to sophistication and not idiocy. You don't see young women in White Diamonds and you don't see old women in AppleBottom Cherry Stupid Spice Duh commercials. But you are wrong about the media caring: The entire purpose of an advertisement is to get people to care and turning them off is one way to turn off your product! As a matter of fact it is ironic to say A ) the media responds to the people and then B ) the media doesn't care who it offends. Quite the contrary actually. The media is nothing more than a child of it's People, it's viewers, shaped by it's consumers it not only cares it coddles and cradles the very notions we hold deeply. That's why they photoshop in the first place.

The Real Woman 'movement' if you will is just trying to change the conceptions. There are actually women who struggle to gain weight because they are severely underweight and that too makes you ugly. Being skinny is not the 100%. The thing is many people see skinny people as ... well 'lucky' but that's due to the average now hitting obese and unhealthy to begin with for a great part of the first world.

Precisely, the media will use those things to sell products, even when it mean using surrealist things. Obesity right now is quite a big problem nowadays, and so is being too skinny (underweight). The media is, almost without a doubt, to blame for this.
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie

Precisely, the media will use those things to sell products, even when it mean using surrealist things. Obesity right now is quite a big problem nowadays, and so is being too skinny (underweight). The media is, almost without a doubt, to blame for this.

I refuse to blame the media for the choices of individuals. The media being to blame for obesity is equivalent to Modern Warfare 3 inspiring children to kill eachother and CSI inspiring people to do drugs that turn your blood green.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
I was always under the impression that real women were those with two X chromosomes.

Gracious Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie

I refuse to blame the media for the choices of individuals. The media being to blame for obesity is equivalent to Modern Warfare 3 inspiring children to kill eachother and CSI inspiring people to do drugs that turn your blood green.

No, that hasn't got anything to do. Videogames and advertising are completely different realms. Are you saying that adverts featuring underweight women have nothing to do? That these adverts, portraying unhealthy women as what is 'ideal', have nothing to do with millions of teens starving themselves to the point where it becomes unhealthy?
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie

No, that hasn't got anything to do. Videogames and advertising are completely different realms. Are you saying that adverts featuring underweight women have nothing to do? That these adverts, portraying unhealthy women as what is 'ideal', have nothing to do with millions of teens starving themselves to the point where it becomes unhealthy?

I am. As a matter of fact I'll take it a step further and say that instead of the advertisement it's the peers that are killing these people. People kill people. Commercials don't kill people. Just like videogames don't.

Gracious Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie

I am. As a matter of fact I'll take it a step further and say that instead of the advertisement it's the peers that are killing these people. People kill people. Commercials don't kill people. Just like videogames don't.

You are comparing two extremely different things again. Videogames have nothing to do with adverts. Videogames influence very little, however adverts are a direct influence in the behaviour and acts of the great majority of people.
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Brandan J Cromartie

You are comparing two extremely different things again. Videogames have nothing to do with adverts. Videogames influence very little, however adverts are a direct influence in the behaviour and acts of the great majority of people.
Media is media and to be fair if videogames have less impact but take over 40 hours of exposure than 20 second commercials I don't know what happened or how retarded humans became but they have fallen a few notches. The way it works is simple: The adverts have zero effect. Your girlfriends however have 100% effect. I feel when people say this kind of thing they having a chicken and egg dilemma where the question is "Which came first, the advert or the effect?" however the answer is "The effect". Advertisements are always made in the light of social conceptions. You've said this yourself four times. How is it that the advertisement is driving these people to such extremes but again 40+ hours of exposure to pure violence in a videogame, which is actually interactive violence no less, has zero effect!

That doesn't even make sense. However what does is that your girlfriends and social pressures being played upon in advertisements does work. It's a ******** really where they get paid to prey on your fears but your fears aren't in the adverts they are in the society. You don't want to be thin because you want to wear a specific type of perfume; you want to be thin because boys like thin girls or you feel uncomfortable being fat in a society that thinks you cannot possibly enjoy showering.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
The only people who aren't real women are MtF, who will always be a man genetically.

Yes, even fat women are real. If they weren't, would they even exist?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff