Welcome to Gaia! ::

A person punches you and you shoot back killing the person. Self Defense or Murder?

Self Defense 0.080808080808081 8.1% [ 8 ]
Murder 0.71717171717172 71.7% [ 71 ]
Undecided 0.2020202020202 20.2% [ 20 ]
Total Votes:[ 99 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
Larvie
Sounds murder to me. IMO, the shot was on the chest, so the intent of killing the boy is there. He could have shot the boy on the legs or arms.

shooting to wound is insane. the legs are small, mobile targets, more likely to lead to a miss. now, here's the thing about a miss with a firearm: the bullet keeps going because an object in motion ( like a bullet ) tends to stay in motion until acted upon by an outside force ( the target, buildings, innocent bystanders ), so this philosophy of "shoot to wound" is basically a philosophy of "kill the innocent neighbors, not the guy attacking you"
SIR ISAAC NEWTON IS THE DEADLIEST SON OF A b***h IN SPACE

I would have mentioned gravity and friction ( as this post seems to be a rebuke that I did not ), except for the fact that the speed at which a bullet travels makes aerodynamic drag and bullet drop negligible factors when a firearm is discharged, due to the fact that in populated areas, there is usually a considerable amount of things to stop a bullet even before it gets past what is known as "Point-Blank range" ( at least by the term's technical definition, rather than it's colloquial one )

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
Larvie
Sounds murder to me. IMO, the shot was on the chest, so the intent of killing the boy is there. He could have shot the boy on the legs or arms.

shooting to wound is insane. the legs are small, mobile targets, more likely to lead to a miss. now, here's the thing about a miss with a firearm: the bullet keeps going because an object in motion ( like a bullet ) tends to stay in motion until acted upon by an outside force ( the target, buildings, innocent bystanders ), so this philosophy of "shoot to wound" is basically a philosophy of "kill the innocent neighbors, not the guy attacking you"

I would have mentioned gravity and friction ( as this post seems to be a rebuke that I did not ), except for the fact that the speed at which a bullet travels makes aerodynamic drag and bullet drop negligible factors when a firearm is discharged, due to the fact that in populated areas, there is usually a considerable amount of things to stop a bullet even before it gets past what is known as "Point-Blank range" ( at least by the term's technical definition, rather than it's colloquial one )

not played 2 yet, but I have to say, speeches like that are why I so enjoy listening to DI's. Give that Gunny a medal.
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
Larvie

not played 2 yet, but I have to say, speeches like that are why I so enjoy listening to DI's. Give that Gunny a medal.
Oops, thought you'd played it. DO IT.

And yes, it's awesome.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

And yes, it's awesome.

picking up some achievements in 1 first. speaking of, is it just me, or can anyone else literally feel the cavities forming whenever Nelyna speaks?
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

And yes, it's awesome.

picking up some achievements in 1 first. speaking of, is it just me, or can anyone else literally feel the cavities forming whenever Nelyna speaks?
Wait until you get to ME2. The dialogues going around are heartwarming as hell.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

And yes, it's awesome.

it's not so much what she says as it is the way she says it. it's like her voice just sorta drips with cheerfulness and diabeetus. makes me want to twist her head off and see if she bleeds honey and grittlecake syrup, y'know?

Hell, I even tend to default toward the Paragon path, and she has this effect on me.
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

And yes, it's awesome.

it's not so much what she says as it is the way she says it. it's like her voice just sorta drips with cheerfulness and diabeetus. makes me want to twist her head off and see if she bleeds honey and grittlecake syrup, y'know?

Hell, I even tend to default toward the Paragon path, and she has this effect on me.
I'm almost always a paragon. Almost.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

And yes, it's awesome.

well, one wouldn't exactly call me, myself, a Paragon, since I have no real compunction against doing what needs to be done, even if what needs to be done is violence, or gets others hurt, it's just that the Renegade options were just so far beyond ruthless . . . they seemed to revel in violence for the sake of violence. I mean, shooting Wrex and telling Kirrahe ( probably my two favorite characters, BTW. I stood and saluted when I heard the "Hold the Line" speech, and Wrex's little speech in the elevator about how the best fights are the ones that find you? it's like he was surmising everything I had ever felt, experienced and believed into a single paragraph of awesome ) to just dump his body in the swamps? leaving the Salarians to die? I mean, granted, I found myself cutting off the Council a few times when they pissed me off, but other than that, and maybe the innuendo toward the Consort ( and, of course, choosing "It's never too late," but that barely seems like a Renegade thing to say anyways ), the renegade options just reeked of blodlust, and like I told a friend of mine recently who's also playing it: "I'm ruthless, not a sadist. there IS a difference"
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

And yes, it's awesome.

well, one wouldn't exactly call me, myself, a Paragon, since I have no real compunction against doing what needs to be done, even if what needs to be done is violence, or gets others hurt, it's just that the Renegade options were just so far beyond ruthless . . . they seemed to revel in violence for the sake of violence. I mean, shooting Wrex and telling Kirrahe ( probably my two favorite characters, BTW. I stood and saluted when I heard the "Hold the Line" speech, and Wrex's little speech in the elevator about how the best fights are the ones that find you? it's like he was surmising everything I had ever felt, experienced and believed into a single paragraph of awesome ) to just dump his body in the swamps? leaving the Salarians to die? I mean, granted, I found myself cutting off the Council a few times when they pissed me off, but other than that, and maybe the innuendo toward the Consort ( and, of course, choosing "It's never too late," but that barely seems like a Renegade thing to say anyways ), the renegade options just reeked of blodlust, and like I told a friend of mine recently who's also playing it: "I'm ruthless, not a sadist. there IS a difference"
I'm a non-aggressor, so paragon's usually the way to go. Some things force my hand.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

I'm a non-aggressor, so paragon's usually the way to go. Some things force my hand.

I'm not much for aggression, either, unless aggression is the only way, in which case I advocate for striking fast, striking hard, and leaving the enemy lacking either the means, the will or the ability to strike back.I won't shoot a man on the ground, or someone who has surrendered, though, largely because that's just wasteful, but if a man on the ground, or a surrendered man winds up being used as a human shield, I see no problem with attacking through him to get one's target.

if the renegade options required me to destroy cities to get to enemy bases, or shoot through human shields ( other than that one mission, but the scientists just don't do enough to get in my way, which means for them to die pretty much requires me to hunt them down and shoot 'em, so not worth it, y'know? ) then I'd probably get more Renegade points.

as it is, Renegade options typically involve ultraviolence for the sake of ultraviolence and throwing temper-tantrums with guns, and that's just not my way
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

I'm not much for aggression, either, unless aggression is the only way, in which case I advocate for striking fast, striking hard, and leaving the enemy lacking either the means, the will or the ability to strike back.I won't shoot a man on the ground, or someone who has surrendered, though, largely because that's just wasteful, but if a man on the ground, or a surrendered man winds up being used as a human shield, I see no problem with attacking through him to get one's target.

if the renegade options required me to destroy cities to get to enemy bases, or shoot through human shields ( other than that one mission, but the scientists just don't do enough to get in my way, which means for them to die pretty much requires me to hunt them down and shoot 'em, so not worth it, y'know? ) then I'd probably get more Renegade points.

as it is, Renegade options typically involve ultraviolence for the sake of ultraviolence and throwing temper-tantrums with guns, and that's just not my way
Collateral damage should always be avoided if it can.

It's a lot more subtle in 2 and 3.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

my combat style has always been precision-based anyways, so I can see very few situations where collateral damage becomes necessary, but in the odd, 1-in-a-million shot where it does become necessary, don't expect me to feel bad about doing what needed to be done afterwards.

and I get the feeling, if it is more subtle, that I won't be accidenting my way through so many Paragon choices by just doing the things that make sense and need doing. I don't shy away from violence, but I don't waste it either. Shooting Wrex is just wasteful violence, since he's one of the more capable combatants in the game. likewise, it didn't endanger me unduly, and furthered the aims of the mission considerably to help the frontal assault be able to push through, so I did it. Renegade options just felt like shooting myself in the foot in 1
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

my combat style has always been precision-based anyways, so I can see very few situations where collateral damage becomes necessary, but in the odd, 1-in-a-million shot where it does become necessary, don't expect me to feel bad about doing what needed to be done afterwards.

and I get the feeling, if it is more subtle, that I won't be accidenting my way through so many Paragon choices by just doing the things that make sense and need doing. I don't shy away from violence, but I don't waste it either. Shooting Wrex is just wasteful violence, since he's one of the more capable combatants in the game. likewise, it didn't endanger me unduly, and furthered the aims of the mission considerably to help the frontal assault be able to push through, so I did it. Renegade options just felt like shooting myself in the foot in 1
I infiltrate. No need to hurt anyone except those who aggress.

Violence should always be the last resort. Unless you're dealing with Reapers. Even then, unless you have substantial advantage, fighting's still probably a terrible idea.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

Violence should always be the last resort. Unless you're dealing with Reapers. Even then, unless you have substantial advantage, fighting's still probably a terrible idea.

actually, the thing I really loved about this game is that this was the first game I'd ever played that gave me the option to take out a base's defenders from a hillside a mile away with a sniper rifle, too far for them to be able to retaliate, or even know where I was.

it made me remember why I fell in love with sniping in the first place.
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force
Keltoi Samurai
The Living Force

actually, the thing I really loved about this game is that this was the first game I'd ever played that gave me the option to take out a base's defenders from a hillside a mile away with a sniper rifle, too far for them to be able to retaliate, or even know where I was.

it made me remember why I fell in love with sniping in the first place.
Reason I love sniping in ME1 is because I have a long range gun which, when equipped with scram rails and heavy explosive rounds, I do almost as much damage as the MAKO's primary gun, and just like the MAKO, I don't even have to hit the target to kill them. BOOOOOOOOOOOM DEE DEE DEE DEE DEE DEE.

ps: sleep now g'night

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces