• Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Sky Does Not Bow
Keltoi Samurai
Henrika
jordan and pablo
how true is the following statement?

"Half of the food we produce is fed to our livestock. If we stopped eating meat and instead used our entire food production on human consumption we could feed the entire world."
Yeah cept the food we feed to our livestock is s**t quality and or corn. So unless you enjoy eating lots and lots of corn we need to keep eating meat.

you live in the US? if so, you already eat lots and lots of corn

waaaaaaaaaay too much corn.

it's scary, if you think about it, of all the ways they've snuck corn into everything.

which is sad, considering I used to love cornbread until I found out that any meal that contained it was pretty much just 100% corn, and that's just too much, y'know?
Keltoi Samurai
The Sky Does Not Bow
Keltoi Samurai
Henrika
jordan and pablo

"Half of the food we produce is fed to our livestock. If we stopped eating meat and instead used our entire food production on human consumption we could feed the entire world."
Yeah cept the food we feed to our livestock is s**t quality and or corn. So unless you enjoy eating lots and lots of corn we need to keep eating meat.

it's scary, if you think about it, of all the ways they've snuck corn into everything.

which is sad, considering I used to love cornbread until I found out that any meal that contained it was pretty much just 100% corn, and that's just too much, y'know?

It's because of the absurd corn subsidies. Farmers make $$$Texas from producing corn.
The Sky Does Not Bow
Keltoi Samurai
Henrika
jordan and pablo

I don't live in the US actually, but that is kind of my point - people in the US consume way too much corn and that is why the obesity "epidemic". Do you really want the situation to get worse by taking away animal protein and feeding everyone MORE corn? Not to mention, how will people feed their cats, dogs, ferrets, and other carnivorous pets? WHY DOES NO ONE THINK OF THE POOR FERRETS

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Sky Does Not Bow
Keltoi Samurai
The Sky Does Not Bow
Keltoi Samurai
Henrika
jordan and pablo

It's because of the absurd corn subsidies. Farmers make $$$Texas from producing corn.

and, as a result, old fashioned country cooking ( which was already a little on the corn-heavy side ) becomes pretty much 100% made up of this sweet, non-food grass plant.

makes it harder to enjoy my breakfast when I realise my bacon was fed on corn, my toast probably contains corn meal, my eggs came from corn-fed chickens, making it almost exclusively comprised of corn, my potatos were fried in oil that contains more than too much corn products and byproducts, the ketchup is corn, the hot sauce contains alltogether too much corn, you better believe they snuck corn into the griddlecake batter, and even if they didn't, the syrup is all corn, the milk is from corn-fed dairy cows, the juice is corn-flavored, corn sweetened corn water with just a hint of orange, and even the butter and sugar in my grits ( grits being the only thing that's supposed to be made of corn on this menu ) is made from corn

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Henrika
The Sky Does Not Bow
Keltoi Samurai
Henrika
jordan and pablo

I don't live in the US actually, but that is kind of my point - people in the US consume way too much corn and that is why the obesity "epidemic". Do you really want the situation to get worse by taking away animal protein and feeding everyone MORE corn? Not to mention, how will people feed their cats, dogs, ferrets, and other carnivorous pets? WHY DOES NO ONE THINK OF THE POOR FERRETS

dogs can pretty much eat what people do, seeing as they've kinda evolved right next to 'em since there've been people. they'll be as comparatively unhealthy as their humans, but they won't be too much worse off than the people.

cats and ferrets, on the other hand, do kinda have stricter diet regulations.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
TANRailgun
Sorta true, about half our total cereal production goes to feed livestock. And even with that we would still have enough to feed everybody in the world at least 2000 calories a day. (we grow about 14 quadrillion calories of food a year if I remember correctly). The amount of food isn't really the problem, the problems are waste, transportation, access, and storage. We do waste a lot of food in wealthier countries, and what we don't waste usually spoils because no body buys it, and the surplus helps keep food prices artificially low. In developing nations food often spoils because they lack the proper facilities to store it, and/or the transportation to get it where it's needed. Then of course there is the matter of access, even if we could get it where it needs to go, how would the ultra poor pay for it? Unfortunately we live in a largely capitalist society, people rarely do something for nothing.

Pretty much this. You would not BELIEVE how much food gets thrown away, especially by grocery stores. A lot of food they throw away is simply just near the expiration date, has small imperfections, or just hasn't be sold and it's being replaced by something else in the store. The stores have various reasons for not selling, but either way, a crazy amount of food gets thrown out, including meat, even when it's still edible. (apparently there's a "Good Samaritan Law" that protects stores from liability when they donate such food, but a lot of stores don't do it for whatever reason) Individuals aren't innocent either, a lot of people throw out food that is just past the expiration date even when it's still good. Unless your senses tell you something is wrong with it, it's probably still good to eat.

I should also point out that a ton of the food that gets fed to livestock is either crappy, or parts we don't eat. (like potato skins)

Familiar Smoker

marshmallowcreampie

I should also point out that a ton of the food that gets fed to livestock is either crappy, or parts we don't eat. (like potato skins)
True for most smaller farming operations, but for industrial scale operations they tend to use a mixture of cereals (mostly corn), and other goodies, including (but not limited to) bone meal (mmm, cannibalism!). Why do they do this instead of just giving them the stuff the smaller operations do? Because it's more cost effective. We have such a high cereal surplus that it's unbelievably cheap in bulk, AND it fattens the livestock up faster, and to a larger size, than vegetable waste and the like.

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
How hard is it for africans to just have more children? Not very.
Sterilize Africa - hunger problem magically solved.

Aged Lunatic

shoeless joe
We should quit being pussies and eat more BUGS.

I'm actually okay with that. Fried up in a good batter or flour they're fairly tasty.
jordan and pablo

First consider we are currently at 7bil. The world is only so big and the numbers grow all the time.

Another thing to note is i've already spent a long time just finding the facts (google is your friend if you really want to learn something) So this doesn't include hay which is most commonly fed to cattle and takes up a TON of room for all it's eaten, the grains are usualy only fed for the last few months of their life to make them fatten up.

ok so

A vast amount of land goes towards those animals and the sheer amount of food required to raise one cow needs to be accounted for one LB of beef requires

12-16 pounds of grain (varying sources although from farm life i've know 16 is on the fair side)
55 sq feet of rainforest <........don't ask.
2500 gallons of water

Also a study done by the American Journal of Agricultural Economics stated that areas with high amounts of livestock farming results in higher infant mortality rates due to by products of the animal farming (such as gasses and ground water contamination)

meat is also bad for the environment. A diet with meat is equal to 4,758 kilometres (almost 3000 miles) driven in a mid size car enough to cross the us sea to sea (depending on where you cross may be a bit over or under)

A vegetarian diet is half that. and a vegan organic diet is only 281 kil.

Also producing 2.2 pounds of beef is equal to 71 kil, the worst where as the same amount of pork is just 26 kil (pigs eat a lot of leftovers humans waste)

not to mention the sheer amount of meat that is accepted as a meal is ridiculous compared to the filling capability and energy provided by veggies, if people complain they don't get full without meat they don't even know what they're talking about a ounce or less is fine a meal if you must eat it, chicken and pork are better than beef anyway and just a couple times a week is plenty but people want what they want and they don't care what happens.

why are meat grouped with dry beans and nuts on the food pyramid? because they have the same energy power. and if your not a complete idiot you get more nutrition and energy from vegetarian than meat

i won't say milk is bad.
I won't say butter is bad.
Or yogghurt, or honey or eggs or fish sometimes (although that's a whole other bucket of environmental things)

the reason your stomach doesn't feel heavy and "full" when you eat a full meal of veggies is because it's not struggling. a serving of beans rice and corn gives you the same protein you get in meat, so it's just as good for muscles. in fact since i stopped my silly vegetarian experiment a few years ago i've felt horrible and i rarely eat large amounts of meat anyway. i also remember a brain splitting migraine a while after i went cold turkey (lol?) one of the only full migraines I've ever gotten (blackout bad pain with nausea and cold sweats) a while after i saw a mcdonalds commercial before that i had hardcore meat cravings after not one.

just food for thought. Yeah i'm making jokes i'm sorry... I know they're terrible. rolleyes

Reply to other people=

potato skins? no....Corn cobs potato skins and most all human waste goes to PORK not cattle, even old cakes in fancy shops and the hundreds of pounds of food left over from vegas buffets goes to pork. and remember all that waste also has to be safely contained (as per germaphobe us standards) and shipped to the cattle location.

Also a ton of food is wasted in markets but i haven't seen any go to livestock and that's from working at walmart and super 1 two large market chains. along with local markets. and markets i've asked about. not a lot of markets actually do it and it's no wonder, the time and effort to remove the food instead of having it compacted and gotten rid of isn't worth it.
Cattle eat corn cobs sometimes but it doesn't work well. cows are almost always raised hay then corn or just corn (america likes to waste corn which is tasty... :

what's with the corn hate people? corn is delicious and carrys a lot of what you need to survive, it's not the corns fault you eat too much.
LifesSacredGuard
jordan and pablo

First consider we are currently at 7bil. The world is only so big and the numbers grow all the time.

Another thing to note is i've already spent a long time just finding the facts (google is your friend if you really want to learn something) So this doesn't include hay which is most commonly fed to cattle and takes up a TON of room for all it's eaten, the grains are usualy only fed for the last few months of their life to make them fatten up.

ok so

A vast amount of land goes towards those animals and the sheer amount of food required to raise one cow needs to be accounted for one LB of beef requires

12-16 pounds of grain (varying sources although from farm life i've know 16 is on the fair side)
2500 gallons of water

Also a study done by the American Journal of Agricultural Economics stated that areas with high amounts of livestock farming results in higher infant mortality rates due to by products of the animal farming (such as gasses and ground water contamination)

meat is also bad for the environment. A diet with meat is equal to 4,758 kilometres (almost 3000 miles) driven in a mid size car enough to cross the us sea to sea (depending on where you cross may be a bit over or under)

Also producing 2.2 pounds of beef is equal to 71 kil, the worst where as the same amount of pork is just 26 kil (pigs eat a lot of leftovers humans waste)

not to mention the sheer amount of meat that is accepted as a meal is ridiculous compared to the filling capability and energy provided by veggies, if people complain they don't get full without meat they don't even know what they're talking about a ounce or less is fine a meal if you must eat it, chicken and pork are better than beef anyway and just a couple times a week is plenty but people want what they want and they don't care what happens.

why are meat grouped with dry beans and nuts on the food pyramid? because they have the same energy power. and if your not a complete idiot you get more nutrition and energy from vegetarian than meat

i won't say milk is bad.
Or yogghurt, or honey or eggs or fish sometimes (although that's a whole other bucket of environmental things)

the reason your stomach doesn't feel heavy and "full" when you eat a full meal of veggies is because it's not struggling. a serving of beans rice and corn gives you the same protein you get in meat, so it's just as good for muscles. in fact since i stopped my silly vegetarian experiment a few years ago i've felt horrible and i rarely eat large amounts of meat anyway. i also remember a brain splitting migraine a while after i went cold turkey (lol?) one of the only full migraines I've ever gotten (blackout bad pain with nausea and cold sweats) a while after i saw a mcdonalds commercial before that i had hardcore meat cravings after not one.

just food for thought. Yeah i'm making jokes i'm sorry... I know they're terrible. rolleyes

Reply to other people=

potato skins? no....Corn cobs potato skins and most all human waste goes to PORK not cattle, even old cakes in fancy shops and the hundreds of pounds of food left over from vegas buffets goes to pork. and remember all that waste also has to be safely contained (as per germaphobe us standards) and shipped to the cattle location.

Also a ton of food is wasted in markets but i haven't seen any go to livestock and that's from working at walmart and super 1 two large market chains. along with local markets. and markets i've asked about. not a lot of markets actually do it and it's no wonder, the time and effort to remove the food instead of having it compacted and gotten rid of isn't worth it.
Cattle eat corn cobs sometimes but it doesn't work well. cows are almost always raised hay then corn or just corn (america likes to waste corn which is tasty... :

what's with the corn hate people? corn is delicious and carrys a lot of what you need to survive, it's not the corns fault you eat too much.

thanks you basically did what i was too lazy to do
ive got my answers
luv u

Animal Lover

13,300 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
jordan and pablo

I plugged that s**t into Google and found some interesting stuff, but nothing exactly matching what you seem to be getting at.

Quote:
IF WE STOPPED EATING MEAT WE WOULDNT STARVE?
As for this, my guess is likely not. There's stuff bunches of green stuff to eat (I'd avoid the GMO's if I were you...no telling what will happen with that in the long run)...and as I understand it, we eat a lot more meat than we actually need in our diets. Meat is our primary source of protein, but you also get protein from other sources (peanuts, broccoli, soy milk...).

So no, I don't think we'd starve...there would just be a lot of unhappy people. lol Myself included. I like meat, but I think I'd adjust to a vegetarian diet over time if I absolutely had to.

Beloved Lunatic

Henrika
The Sky Does Not Bow
Keltoi Samurai
Henrika
jordan and pablo

Because a ferret destroyed some of my favorite toys when I was a kid. That's why I don't care about the ferrets. Well, I don't really hold that against ferrets, and I do actually think they're kinda nifty. Still...

Dapper Reveler

I would still probably die of dissatisfaction.
jordan and pablo
LifesSacredGuard
jordan and pablo

ok so

2500 gallons of water

i won't say milk is bad.

Reply to other people=

thanks you basically did what i was too lazy to do
ive got my answers
luv u

lol? ok yw. <3 but there is a lot more to know you should look it up yourself. otherwise opinions may get in the way of the answers you want

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff