Welcome to Gaia! ::

how true is the following statement?

"Half of the food we produce is fed to our livestock. If we stopped eating meat and instead used our entire food production on human consumption we could feed the entire world."

Adored Admirer

[Citation needed]
jordan and pablo

"Half of the food we produce is fed to our livestock. If we stopped eating meat and instead used our entire food production on human consumption we could feed the entire world."

NOBODY ******** with my cheeseburgers or enchilada's!
Fairly true. However farmers are generally not morons so they feed the crappiest food to the animals, plus a lot of the food parts we don't eat, like what's left after you take all the kernels off of corn.

Avoiding meat altogether is probably not necessary or even that great of an idea but the American diet has much too much meat in it. We would definitely be healthier if we were more careful and cut the meat intake way down.

But then again we'd be much healthier if we learned how to deal with stress and developed some better impulse control in general.
We should quit being pussies and eat more BUGS.

Mega Noob

shoeless joe
We should quit being pussies and eat more BUGS.

Snap and share cricket crackers wtf.
Old Blue Collar Joe
jordan and pablo

NOBODY ******** with my cheeseburgers or enchilada's!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Familiar Smoker

jordan and pablo

Sorta true, about half our total cereal production goes to feed livestock. And even with that we would still have enough to feed everybody in the world at least 2000 calories a day. (we grow about 14 quadrillion calories of food a year if I remember correctly). The amount of food isn't really the problem, the problems are waste, transportation, access, and storage. We do waste a lot of food in wealthier countries, and what we don't waste usually spoils because no body buys it, and the surplus helps keep food prices artificially low. In developing nations food often spoils because they lack the proper facilities to store it, and/or the transportation to get it where it's needed. Then of course there is the matter of access, even if we could get it where it needs to go, how would the ultra poor pay for it? Unfortunately we live in a largely capitalist society, people rarely do something for nothing.

Fashionable Conversationalist

11,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Megathread 100
I just had a delicious serving of pasta with chicken and shrimp under marinara sauce with grilled Mexican squash on the side.

My taste buds tell me not to listen to your propaganda.

gaia_angelleft gaia_star gaia_angelright
jordan and pablo

Yeah cept the food we feed to our livestock is s**t quality and or corn. So unless you enjoy eating lots and lots of corn we need to keep eating meat.
Beyond recent history the majority of food people ate was not meat. I am willing to bet that the average person maybe ate 1 piece of meat every week. The only reason meat is the rule today is because of our intelligence and abilities to problem solve and produce things through the rules of nature. If we went to the lengths of creating a genetically enhanced food by changing DNA. We are still working with in the limits of nature. There is still lots of room to grow and we just need to be comfortable with the next steps and define what is morally right and wrong.
I mean, it's true but we could feed the entire world regardless, so.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Henrika
jordan and pablo

Yeah cept the food we feed to our livestock is s**t quality and or corn. So unless you enjoy eating lots and lots of corn we need to keep eating meat.

you live in the US? if so, you already eat lots and lots of corn
Keltoi Samurai
Henrika
jordan and pablo

you live in the US? if so, you already eat lots and lots of corn

waaaaaaaaaay too much corn.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas