Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Noob

I need a name for my new religion, can you help me?

Summary of what I'd like my religion to be. (Page 3)

Feel free to criticize the religion on what it needs or what its missing
Start a website, try and get your name out there, contact press, contact the government, rent or own property to function as a church (if one is necessary), etc. There's a whole lot to this.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
First things first, you need to approach your religion as a business: Convince the public that they have a problem and that you have the only solution. In the case of christianity, the problem is "everyone is a sinner, so we all deserve to go to hell" and the solution is "but if you believe in Jesus, you get to go to heaven." It also helps if you have ad hoc reasoning for all of life's questions...simple solution being that "god did it" and if people question how or why, use the "welp, he's mysterious" line, followed quickly by "and who are we to question it." Now, your new religion may not necessitate a god, but it's still a good practice to just make up answers as you go along.

Now that we've got problem/solution and ad hoc answers out of the way, it's time to focus on the rules to live by according to this new religion. Start making rules for how people should live their lives, reminding them that there is a punishment for not obeying (don't worry about demonstrating your claims...they're your religious beliefs, and it's bigotry to question it! ). Now, with people living their lives based on your whims, it'd probably be wise to institute an indoctrination policy (to keep new believers rolling in) and set up a policy of having your believers pay you for what you're saying (cause why do any of this if you're not going to make money off of it). And with that, you should be set for life...provided this doesn't turn into an ugly suicide cult kind of situation...that'd really put a damper on the whole thing...

Newbie Noob

Rumblestiltskin
First things first, you need to approach your religion as a business: Convince the public that they have a problem and that you have the only solution. In the case of christianity, the problem is "everyone is a sinner, so we all deserve to go to hell" and the solution is "but if you believe in Jesus, you get to go to heaven."

I'd like to have a religion centered around hunting down and killing mythological creatures. The study of urban legends, lore, mythology, folk lore, demonology, & cryptozoology would be very important. Likewise, the actual practice of hunting will play a large role.

Do you think this angle will be effective: Look at all these religions and the similar creatures they all talk about, clearly monsters are real, but if you don't join us how will you kill these monsters before they kill you? If you join us we will not just teach you how to protect yourself and your family, but we will also teach you how to proactively hunt these creatures down and kill them before they hurt/kill others.

Newbie Noob

TJ Raptor
Start a website, try and get your name out there, contact press, contact the government, rent or own property to function as a church (if one is necessary), etc. There's a whole lot to this.
I know, I can attempt to get legal tax exempt status but I'll have to go to court. It's going to be expensive and I need a decent sized fallowing before I can even attempt it (if I want to win that is).

I guess we can get permits to hold meetings at my local forest preserve, might be cheaper then renting while things are in the starting phase.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
DarkSohisohi
Rumblestiltskin
First things first, you need to approach your religion as a business: Convince the public that they have a problem and that you have the only solution. In the case of christianity, the problem is "everyone is a sinner, so we all deserve to go to hell" and the solution is "but if you believe in Jesus, you get to go to heaven."

I'd like to have a religion centered around hunting down and killing mythological creatures. The study of urban legends, lore, mythology, folk lore, demonology, & cryptozoology would be very important. Likewise, the actual practice of hunting will play a large role.

Do you think this angle will be effective: Look at all these religions and the similar creatures they all talk about, clearly monsters are real, but if you don't join us how will you kill these monsters before they kill you? If you join us we will not just teach you how to protect yourself and your family, but we will also teach you how to proactively hunt these creatures down and kill them before they hurt/kill others.

Hmmm...that doesn't really sound like a religion. Religions are based around BELIEFS. What you're proposing is based more around ACTIONS. It sounds more like a guild, I think.
DarkSohisohi
TJ Raptor
I know, I can attempt to get legal tax exempt status but I'll have to go to court. It's going to be expensive and I need a decent sized fallowing before I can even attempt it (if I want to win that is).

I guess we can get permits to hold meetings at my local forest preserve, might be cheaper then renting while things are in the starting phase.

You may also want some kind of manifesto or book outlining the beliefs of your religion.

Newbie Noob

Rumblestiltskin
Hmmm...that doesn't really sound like a religion. Religions are based around BELIEFS. What you're proposing is based more around ACTIONS. It sounds more like a guild, I think.

I'd imagine a belief in monsters, ghosts, spirits, and demons would still count. Likewise, we plan on acknowledging the gods of other religions (kind of like Hinduism). But unlike Hinduism, which just accepts prophets and gods of other religions as their own god(s) in different form, we plan on having each god act as their own divine entities.

Gods, in my religion, will work like this: Humans have souls, the more worshipers and the more souls a god has, the stronger that god become. If you die, and you are a worshiper of a god, then you go to that gods heaven where your soul will be slowly siphoned off until it is eventually consumed by that god or you will immediately become one with that god (i.e. your soul was immediately devoured). Though gods might have other uses for you as agents in the after life (just to leave things a bit open ended for my followers). Point is, gods are dicks, and they ******** around with humanity all the time. (I'm currently working on an origin story for the gods). All that being said, although goods seem immortal, they can be killed. It is our duty to hunt down all monsters that threaten humanity, divine or otherwise.

I plan on setting up a pantheon of established gods that offered hunters protection or where the patron gods of hunting / the hunt. I'll probably justify it like this: Because we are hunters, these gods offer us their protection, our relationship with them is neutral since we hunt down their enemies. We imply, at some point, this relationship will have to end and leave it to the followers imaginations. I also might throw in some gods of knowledge since there is a scholarly aspect to this religion, but I'm iffy about that last part since I can just nab Apollo (patron god of archery and enlightenment).

In a way, my followers could worship any god(s) in return for that god's protection.

So I guess your right, if I had to sum it up, it's a religion for crusaders and hunters. We will be the clerics of a modern age.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
DarkSohisohi
Rumblestiltskin

I'd imagine a belief in monsters, ghosts, spirits, and demons would still count. Likewise, we plan on acknowledging the gods of other religions (kind of like Hinduism). But unlike Hinduism, which just accepts prophets and gods of other religions as their own god(s) in different form, we plan on having each god act as their own divine entities.

It's a bit deeper than JUST beliefs...as that only makes up a portion of religions. Hell, you can believe in a god and still not be religious, because religion has more to do with doctrine based on the beliefs as opposed to just the beliefs. It also has a lot to do with worship, and I don't see this as being a worship of these creatures.

Quote:
Gods, in my religion, will work like this: Humans have souls, the more worshipers and the more souls a god has, the stronger that god become. If you die, and you are a worshiper of a god, then you go to that gods heaven where your soul will be slowly siphoned off until it is eventually consumed by that god or you will immediately become one with that god (i.e. your soul was immediately devoured). Though gods might have other uses for you as agents in the after life (just to leave things a bit open ended for my followers). Point is, gods are dicks, and they ******** around with humanity all the time. (I'm currently working on an origin story for the gods). All that being said, although goods seem immortal, they can be killed. It is our duty to hunt down all monsters that threaten humanity, divine or otherwise.

That sounds more like a religion...or multiple religions maybe. But it's at least a form of a belief system.

Quote:
I plan on setting up a pantheon of established gods that offered hunters protection or where the patron gods of hunting / the hunt. I'll probably justify it like this: Because we are hunters, these gods offer us their protection, our relationship with them is neutral since we hunt down their enemies. We imply, at some point, this relationship will have to end and leave it to the followers imaginations. I also might throw in some gods of knowledge since there is a scholarly aspect to this religion, but I'm iffy about that last part since I can just nab Apollo (patron god of archery and enlightenment).

In a way, my followers could worship any god(s) in return for that god's protection.

So I guess your right, if I had to sum it up, it's a religion for crusaders and hunters. We will be the clerics of a modern age.

To be honest, this would be a hard sell...you've got to have a better, probably simpler hook than what you're proposing. I mean, if you want a good look at how to start a pretty solid religion, I'd say look towards Pastafarians and the Flying Spaghetti Monster...

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Rumblestiltskin
DarkSohisohi
Rumblestiltskin

I think it could work as long as there were caveats claiming that true believers have seen the monsters but been protected by some type of mysterious and poorly defined power they exude thanks to their strong faith. That would encourage the followers to engage in active delusions and outright lie about having seen the monsters in order to be accepted as true believers plus foster a sense of superiority for those who could play that off over those who could not play it off or so much as questioned the experience.

Think speaking in tongues or being slain in the spirit type experiences. That type of thing.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
The Legendary Guest
Rumblestiltskin
DarkSohisohi
Rumblestiltskin

I think it could work as long as there were caveats claiming that true believers have seen the monsters but been protected by some type of bunk power they exude thanks to their strong faith. That would encourage the followers to engage in active delusions or outright lie about having seen the monsters in order to be accepted as true believers and foster a sense of superiority for those who could play that off over those who could not play it off or so much as questioned the experience.

Think speaking in tongues or being slain in the spirit type experiences. That type of thing.

Yeah, his following explanation where he gets into more details is more in line with what a religion would be.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Rumblestiltskin
The Legendary Guest
Rumblestiltskin
DarkSohisohi
Rumblestiltskin

I think it could work as long as there were caveats claiming that true believers have seen the monsters but been protected by some type of bunk power they exude thanks to their strong faith. That would encourage the followers to engage in active delusions or outright lie about having seen the monsters in order to be accepted as true believers and foster a sense of superiority for those who could play that off over those who could not play it off or so much as questioned the experience.

Yeah, his following explanation where he gets into more details is more in line with what a religion would be.

Crap you quoted while I was editing, I hate when I notice errors and that happens. gonk

I based my post off his ideas, so yea.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
The Legendary Guest
Rumblestiltskin
The Legendary Guest
Rumblestiltskin
DarkSohisohi
Rumblestiltskin

Crap you quoted while I was editing, I hate when I notice errors and that happens. gonk

I based my post off his ideas, so yea.

It's okay, it happens to the best of us.

Newbie Noob

Rumblestiltskin
To be honest, this would be a hard sell...you've got to have a better, probably simpler hook than what you're proposing. I mean, if you want a good look at how to start a pretty solid religion, I'd say look towards Pastafarians and the Flying Spaghetti Monster...

I wanted to create a religion that did not necessarily revolve around having to worship a god but still had other spiritual and outrageous claim. I'm working on building my religions own mythology, figures (that are human) and have been hunting for ages that I also met. I'll also have to set up my own mythology and those of my trusted followers. Grand battles and why those battles hand to take place. How monsters and gods originated, how spirits/ghosts work, and what happens to your soul if you worship no god (you become one with the universe / i.e. your souls energy just dissipates into the universe).

It's a work in progress, being that there is currently only one member. I'm thinking I might post a flyer somewhere and find people who are interested in mythos as I am. It will be a club at first, but as I find those sympathetic to my cause, it will begin to take on more religious overtone until I can one day call it a religion.

Newbie Noob

TJ Raptor
DarkSohisohi
TJ Raptor

You may also want some kind of manifesto or book outlining the beliefs of your religion.
How much is book binding?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces