Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ever had to kick someone out of your house?

Yes 0.2589928057554 25.9% [ 36 ]
No 0.28057553956835 28.1% [ 39 ]
I live with my parents =( 0.46043165467626 46.0% [ 64 ]
Total Votes:[ 139 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 >

Quotable Conversationalist

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Axis of Fabulousness
Listen, I'm a female engineer as well. I always did pretty decent in my classes and worked my a** off. For the most part the guys I was in class with were awesome and couldn't give less ******** that I'm a woman. There were the occasional assholes, however, that insisted that any time one of the girls got a better grade than them that they felt was undeserved it MUST have been because of our gender. One of my roommates senior year was actually one of them, although to a lesser degree. A lot of sexist jokes he made just to try to get a rise out of people because he thought it was funny. But in some ways he really did believe that being a woman was an automatic advantage. And hey, maybe it is. He actually had better grades than me overall and I'm making probably 20k a year more than him right now. And I found the job like three months before he landed his. Anyways...

Seriously, the worst thing you can do in those situations is throw a b***h fit. Like it or not, as others have said all that does is reinforce the female overreacting crazy b***h stereotype. There are better ways to handle it. Make a joke of it or give the guy a "Really?" look and ignore him. If he keeps on, it's "Dude, really? You seriously believe that an engineering professor cares more about my tits than my skills? Grow up." And then if he continues to be an a**, something like- "Look, I worked hard for that grade and you're being rude. This is my house and if you keep it up you can go drink somewhere else." Keep calm, don't yell, and you'll always come out looking like the better person and smelling like a rose.

Unfortunately you WILL deal with sexism in the industry. It's there, it's unfortunate, but it's part of it. You've got to learn to deal with it a little better.
Oh, believe me, we made many jokes about him. I think that's why he was so embarrassed. He felt pretty emasculated. I am curious as to why everyone thinks we were yelling, shrieking banshees. It's more fun to make fun of people than it is to yell at them.

Noob

Sexual Innuendo

You're putting words in my mouth now. If a black person got offended over the mention of the word "******" I'd tell them to suck it up just like I told you to suck it up.

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo

You're putting words in my mouth now. If a black person got offended over the mention of the word "******" I'd tell them to suck it up just like I told you to suck it up.
No, I'm not putting words in your mouth. I asked you if you think it's acceptable to say "Stupid black person is black. s**t, one comment and you get butthurt? I know you're black but try to suck it up and act a little bit more white. You were all drinking anyways. Don't get so pissy about one comment."

Noob

Sexual Innuendo
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo

No, I'm not putting words in your mouth. I asked you if you think it's acceptable to say "Stupid black person is black. s**t, one comment and you get butthurt? I know you're black but try to suck it up and act a little bit more white. You were all drinking anyways. Don't get so pissy about one comment."

I think it is.

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo

I think it is.
Well, at least you aren't a hypocrite. Just a bigot.

Noob

Sexual Innuendo

I'm not racist, I have many black friends that are completely awesome. I'm not sexist either, I believe us women should have just as much rights as males, and our place isn't the kitchen. Want to know something that really rustles my jimmies? When Americans say they'd be alright without Canada. However, if someone just says they're going to bomb Canada, or just say, "we don't need you Canadians" I'm not going to get all pissy, block and unfriend them. Want to know what I do? Ignore it and carry on. It's no big deal, it's just a comment. However if these people actually wanted to PUT ME DOWN because of it, yes I'll fight back, and I have blocked people for constantly putting me down for being Canadian. If this guy would constantly make sexist comments, lets say over 3 or 4, then sure, kick that guy out of your house, but there's no need to waste your time over one little comment.

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo

I'm not racist, I have many black friends that are completely awesome. I'm not sexist either, I believe us women should have just as much rights as males, and our place isn't the kitchen. Want to know something that really rustles my jimmies? When Americans say they'd be alright without Canada. However, if someone just says they're going to bomb Canada, or just say, "we don't need you Canadians" I'm not going to get all pissy, block and unfriend them. Want to know what I do? Ignore it and carry on. It's no big deal, it's just a comment. However if these people actually wanted to PUT ME DOWN because of it, yes I'll fight back, and I have blocked people for constantly putting me down for being Canadian. If this guy would constantly make sexist comments, lets say over 3 or 4, then sure, kick that guy out of your house, but there's no need to waste your time over one little comment.
"I'm not sexist, but I think it's okay to tell women to act more like men and insult women based on their gender." "I'm not racist, but I think it's okay to tell black people to act more like white people and insult black people based on their race."

Just keep telling yourself that, sweetheart.

Noob

Sexual Innuendo

Men get put down just as much as us females do. White people get put down just as much as black people do. It was one little comment and you made such a big deal over it. It was stupid.

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo

Men get put down just as much as us females do. White people get put down just as much as black people do.
LOL

Noob

Sexual Innuendo
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo

Men get put down just as much as us females do. White people get put down just as much as black people do.
LOL

Okay bud.

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo

LOL

Okay bud.
Okay, so, I'm curious. Do you have any proof that white people face just as much discrimination as black people? Do you have any proof that men face just as much discrimination as women? Or is this just an opinion that you made up?

Noob

Sexual Innuendo

I've witnessed it.

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo

I've witnessed it.
Oh, so anecdotal evidence. Gotcha.

Noob

Sexual Innuendo
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo

I've witnessed it.

Well what do you want? Want me to waste my time finding some documentary for you?

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo
YourMyAll_
Sexual Innuendo

I've witnessed it.

Well what do you want? Want me to waste my time finding some documentary for you?

If you're going to say ignorant, completely false statement like that, you better be able to back it up.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff