Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hmmmm...I think I might stalk around here for awhile and check things out.

stukky's Fangirl

Fairy Type

60,050 Points
  • Cute Monster 500
  • Manchurian Candidate 500
  • Budding Witch 250
nothing anymore.

Virtuous Noob

There isn't that much of a difference, except that people here take themselves a lot more seriously and that the topics have to be about Gaia and have to contain points for discussion.

In this case, I'd say that the GCD is more of a difficult place to make friends, and the more abrasive you are the popular you'll be in this forum, whereas the CB has more of it's fun users who are the popular ones.

Tricky Cat

Le Koj
There isn't that much of a difference, except that people here take themselves a lot more seriously and that the topics have to be about Gaia and have to contain points for discussion.

In this case, I'd say that the GCD is more of a difficult place to make friends, and the more abrasive you are the popular you'll be in this forum, whereas the CB has more of it's fun users who are the popular ones.

I'm abrasive as ******** and don't have friends.
I think it just turns out the abrasive ones who have friends happy to circle jerk eachother.

Ferocious Warrior

31,475 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Screeching Savior 100
  • Master Slayer 200
Scythes, Watermelon, and Flowing Breezes.
These are the things that bring me Joy.

As someone with two different profiles, each one frequenting one of the two, I can tell you they are very different places. The GCD is as the name implies, A Forum related to Discussion of events regarding the Community of Gaia. Topics here are fewer than in CB, but there's always a new one every day regarding various updates around the site (Such as the CS Update Threads). Also, Discussion isn't only encouraged, it's borderline mandatory these days, especially with the "Spoons" Rule being a thing. Basically, the OP (Opening Post) of every topic must have points that can be discussed (Commonly called "Spoons" around here gaia_spoons ), or it's liable to be moved to a different forum, Even if the topic title itself is a point of discussion. Gotta be careful when creating topics around here. That said, it's filled with Users who care greatly about the current state of affairs on Gaia, and who keep up to date with the latest changes and updates around the site. It has its own regulars (Winter Hue, Slick Southpaw, Arlette Mori, and Chibi Halo, just to name a few), and there's various bits of positive stuff (Ex: "That New item looks so Awesome!" or "Manga Update!!! YES!" ), negative stuff (Ex: "Stupid Gold Gens ruining the economy!" and "What is Marketing thinking?" ) and quirky stuff (Ex: "Please let there be more Green items." and "I named my Xerneas Carl. Trust me, there's a discussion here." ). Like each of the various Gaia Community Forums, it has its own flavor. With that, I formally welcome you to the GCD, and I hope you enjoy your stay. cat_biggrin

The Scythe Quest
The Eternal List

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
GCD has more Fish

just saying.

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
Le Koj

I actually find both places difficult to make friends, to be honest... sweatdrop Places like CB and GD, it's like, if you're not in on the "joke", then everyone kind of ignores you. GCD, it helps if you're very knowledgeable about certain things or already have lots of friends, but I don't think you have to be abrasive. I admit it feels very cliquish at times though, and it kind of makes me sad.

Special Snowflake

It's also a place that may be considered an informal site feedback, where through discussion of a topic you can gauge the general consensus about how a particular item or feature is being received on the whole.

It's a place that I come to to get information on the latest rumours and goings on for Gaia, and it's a place that is sometimes used to get feedback for staff (e.g. voting on the Loyal's Bazaar REI recolour).

While you can have some fun in here, you have to stay on-topic of the thread so making conversation is more difficult than in the CB where there are no particular rules for engagement.

Virtuous Noob

Riot Jinx
Le Koj

I'm abrasive as ******** and don't have friends.
I think it just turns out the abrasive ones who have friends happy to circle jerk eachother.

Lol-- I wouldn't quite take it that far, but I've noticed that if a regular who's abrasive says something along the same lines as a newbie, they tend to be better received.

Knight of Britannia
Le Koj

I actually find both places difficult to make friends, to be honest... sweatdrop Places like CB and GD, it's like, if you're not in on the "joke", then everyone kind of ignores you. GCD, it helps if you're very knowledgeable about certain things or already have lots of friends, but I don't think you have to be abrasive. I admit it feels very cliquish at times though, and it kind of makes me sad.

You're right actually. It's difficult to find people who are like minded when the site is this big sweatdrop

It's true that you don't have to be abrasive, but certainly it seems to make people remember you more--and in turn are more likely to think of you as a regular. I find that they tend to be more warmly treated because they seem more familiar... I've noticed that those with potty mouth always seem to get quoted as compared to those who don't- even if they're saying pretty much the same thing /lurkertothemax

In both areas of the site though it seems to be a theme that if you give out lots of freebies or art you're also popular xd but I digress-- this is meant to be about differences, not similarities.

stukky's Fangirl

Fairy Type

60,050 Points
  • Cute Monster 500
  • Manchurian Candidate 500
  • Budding Witch 250
"topics have to have points of discussion"
"you have to follow the forum rules"

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

lol

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
Le Koj
You're right actually. It's difficult to find people who are like minded when the site is this big sweatdrop

It's true that you don't have to be abrasive, but certainly it seems to make people remember you more--and in turn are more likely to think of you as a regular. I find that they tend to be more warmly treated because they seem more familiar... I've noticed that those with potty mouth always seem to get quoted as compared to those who don't- even if they're saying pretty much the same thing /lurkertothemax

In both areas of the site though it seems to be a theme that if you give out lots of freebies or art you're also popular xd but I digress-- this is meant to be about differences, not similarities.

Yeah, that's true. 3nodding

I used to just lurk and then I decided to try and be more active and participate! Though sometimes I wonder if it would have been better to stay quiet, haha. sweatdrop I don't like making people angry on here.

But yeah! GCD bottom line it seems to really help if you have more to contribute. CB, I do enjoy, because you can comment anywhere and anytime, and even if you go unnoticed, it's still easy enough to jump right in.

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
You actually have to have an intelligent topic of discussion here. Not just one line in your first post. -.-

The people here are in general less spammy, trolly, and more mature than in the CB.

It's a little cliquey but I think it's a great forum to be for intelligent discussion about a website we all...well we don't all love it anymore but we're all here!

minghii's Compadre

Sexy Bun

Basically... you want to want to talk about Gaia? You do it here.
New items, events, announcements, the "plot" and characters... This is the place to do it.

Topics about your cat, ex, school, and other random junk? CB.

Just think a little before you post. Like, be insightful, thoughtful, and all that crap and you'll be fine.

dancing_ice's Fangirl

GCD is like SF, both are passionate about the site and what's going on, so topics are almost always about Gaia and its members.

Somewhere along the line though, GCD became GID - as in Gaia Item Discussion. lol In the days of old, at least when I joined, it was about the manga plot, speculations and the prommies. xD Not to mention the spectacular drama between members.^^

CB at that time was about pollwhores and slave/master sitting on each other's laps... lol

Seriously, I had a bit of fun comparing the two.

Oh yeah, let me also add that GCD topic creators, at least some of them, don't take too well when their threads are moved to the CB...like, they considered it being thrown among the heathens or something. lol

Time-traveling Bookworm

29,275 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bookworm 100
  • Survivor 150
I wouldn't say that you need to be abrasive or whatnot to be considered a regular, at least for me. There are those that I remember and recognize due to either a signature that they always have, a particular avi, or just post quite often enough that their name becomes etched in my mind. lol I lurk more than post, so if anybody actually remembers me from a previous post, I'd be quite surprised. lol I've been here on the GCD for the close to seven years I've been on Gaia, and I find that I prefer it to the other forums. I suppose mainly due to the fact that here, I can get a feel for what's going on on Gaia and I don't feel pressured to make an effort to be chatty with people... I don't mind chatting with people, but I'm pretty shy at times and feel a bit awkward when making chitchat. lol Not to mention, there have been times when I was chatting with someone, friended them- and then I posted an innocent compliment on their profile and they freaked out and said they didn't know who I was and accused me of being a stalker. I was like, "Wow... sorry for saying that I liked your avatar." But I'm off subject here... to get along here and become a "regular" you need to be friendly, post often, and find a way to differentiate yourself from the others.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff