Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

azulmagia
The problems with the viability of the concept of omnipotence are wll known; those of omniscience, not so much. This goes so far as to concern us with the definitions of these concepts. Neither of these are very well defined concepts, to be honest.

Given certain of these definitions, however, it's easy enough to demonstrate that such a God doesn't exist. For example, God's knowing the future would seem to contradict his omnipotence (he cannot change such a future, etc.)

There is one such treatment here. And another, with quotes showing that the Bible can be used to refute the idea that the Christian God is a God of the "omnis".

He can know the future, even if he isn't the one who chooses it. cool

He knows what everyone will do, how they think, how they will act etc.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
The question itself is flawed.
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia
The problems with the viability of the concept of omnipotence are wll known; those of omniscience, not so much. This goes so far as to concern us with the definitions of these concepts. Neither of these are very well defined concepts, to be honest.

Given certain of these definitions, however, it's easy enough to demonstrate that such a God doesn't exist. For example, God's knowing the future would seem to contradict his omnipotence (he cannot change such a future, etc.)

There is one such treatment here. And another, with quotes showing that the Bible can be used to refute the idea that the Christian God is a God of the "omnis".

He who when you are sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows when you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness' sakes!

Oh wait, wrong imaginary figure. cool

Fanatical Zealot

azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia

But unless you can prove it's imaginary, it's all conjecture. cool

But uh, that didn't seem wrong at all; God hypothetically does all those things too, on Christmas too.
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia

But uh, that didn't seem wrong at all; God hypothetically does all those things too, on Christmas too.

(A) You're confused where the burden of proof lies in this case.

(B) I think the links I gave do a well-enough job of doing exactly that.

Fanatical Zealot

azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia

Ahh, but you made a claim, that they were imaginary. When you make a claim, no matter for what side you support, you have to provide evidence for it. Even if that's for non-existence; case in point, if I said aliens don't exist, or cats, or racecars, I'd need to prove it, and be wrong if I did not. Not making any beliefs or statements, such as "I don't know" or "there could be" is different from a declarative one.

Also, sauce is nice, but unless it's apple, I'm not buying it. It's an argument of words, not facts, and without hard facts, it's just posturing.
If God is anything at all, then God exists. Being omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent have nothing to do with it. You could ask the same question while describing God as being two feet tall with an afro growing out of five separate assholes and get the same answer.
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia

Ahh, but you made a claim, that they were imaginary. When you make a claim, no matter for what side you support, you have to provide evidence for it. Even if that's for non-existence; case in point, if I said aliens don't exist, or cats, or racecars, I'd need to prove it, and be wrong if I did not. Not making any beliefs or statements, such as "I don't know" or "there could be" is different from a declarative one.

Also, sauce is nice, but unless it's apple, I'm not buying it. It's an argument of words, not facts, and without hard facts, it's just posturing.

Prove it? Try ******** defining it first.

Fanatical Zealot

azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia

You tell me what you defined it as. cool
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia

God - a nonexistent entity conceived in order to achieve certain ends with no resemblance to anything that does exist. God.

Fanatical Zealot

Silent Mule Man
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia

God - a nonexistent entity conceived in order to achieve certain ends with no resemblance to anything that does exist. God.

But can you prove that?
Suicidesoldier#1
Silent Mule Man
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia

But can you prove that?

No, no, no. We were trying to prove the existence of God based on a definition, as opposed to proving that any given definition was accurate. Which is why you shouldn't have been so keen to kick the ball into his court.

Fanatical Zealot

Silent Mule Man
Suicidesoldier#1
Silent Mule Man
Suicidesoldier#1
azulmagia

But can you prove that?

No, no, no. We were trying to prove the existence of God based on a definition, as opposed to proving that any given definition was accurate. Which is why you shouldn't have been so keen to kick the ball into his court.

If you define God to be some alternative thing, say a sandwich, or a cat, and then based on that you decide to prove it's wrong, then you're a loony, and detract from the issue that you were trying to isolate a Christian God, or Hindu or what have you.

Then, I have already won, because you look stupid. That is scientific fact.

Of course, I look stupid too, BUT, because that's a plus to my image, being stupid or smart, no matter what I do, it's always a positive thing.

Unless I look like an a*****e, that starts to detract from things. But it's a price that sometimes must be paid. emotion_donotwant
Suicidesoldier#1
If you define God to be some alternative thing, say a sandwich, or a cat, and then based on that you decide to prove it's wrong, then you're a loony, and detract from the issue that you were trying to isolate a Christian God, or Hindu or what have you.

You're gonna have to explain how this detracts from the issue. I simply don't see it. This entire line of argument is loony to begin with.

Suicidesoldier#1

It's not scientific until it's been confirmed in multiple studies.

Fanatical Zealot

Silent Mule Man
Suicidesoldier#1

You're gonna have to explain how this detracts from the issue. I simply don't see it. This entire line of argument is loony to begin with.

Exactly.

However, the point is, if you define God to mean your own made up thing and then prove that wrong, you haven't actually proven that God doesn't exist. You've just proven that your tailored definition can fit along with your argument, which has no bearing on the real world. In lay man's terms, it's known as a straw man argument.

In the standing man's argument, it's called "Bully day!"

Suicidesoldier#1

It's not scientific until it's been confirmed in multiple studies.

Sorry, I edited my post above.*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces