Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Conversationalist

7,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
AlixMasters
But, it's pretty sad. Gaia used to be a place where everyone was accepting and genuinely nice. Now, Gaia is mostly full of self-righteous jerks who troll the forums and try to spin everything in a negative angle. I don't really see a problem with thinking I'm awesome because I'm a female gamer. I never said that no one else was awesome. Honestly, I think everyone is amazing and that everyone should think they are. I'm sorry that I don't have to go around shooting down what other people post to make myself feel like I've accomplished something. If you don't like what someone posts, here's an insanely wonderful idea. Ignore it. Because all you're doing is ensuring that my topic stays on the first page every time you add something derogatory. So, thank you for showing the wonderful world of Gaia that most of us are now pricks. Much love. Peace.

I'll admit, I wasn't too thrilled about this sort of topic either, but this particular post is spot-on. It seems nowadays that nearly half of the community is on a constant hunt for ways to shoot down other peoples' opinions. If you say you want game suggestions for a PS3, the firsts posts are about how PS3 sucks. If you ask a question regarding Christianity, the first posts are about how religion sucks. If you start a discussion on favorite MMOs, the first posts will be about how MMOs all suck. Here, you brought up girl gamers, and the first posts are, sure enough, about how "girl gamers" (quotes emphasized) suck. neutral

It's... really a bit depressing, huh? I have to wonder how this ridiculously cutesy site attracts so much negativity. sweatdrop

Anyway, to keep with your intended topic, I'll toss out a semi-half-baked response regarding the awesomeness. If you even *think* what you're doing is weird, and you do it anyway, then that shows a blatant disregard for conforming to social norms. And that, in and of itself, is exactly what the world needs more of. Especially since that whole negativity thing seems to be one of those social norms, itself. 3nodding

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
Raemyi
AlixMasters
But, it's pretty sad. Gaia used to be a place where everyone was accepting and genuinely nice. Now, Gaia is mostly full of self-righteous jerks who troll the forums and try to spin everything in a negative angle. I don't really see a problem with thinking I'm awesome because I'm a female gamer. I never said that no one else was awesome. Honestly, I think everyone is amazing and that everyone should think they are. I'm sorry that I don't have to go around shooting down what other people post to make myself feel like I've accomplished something. If you don't like what someone posts, here's an insanely wonderful idea. Ignore it. Because all you're doing is ensuring that my topic stays on the first page every time you add something derogatory. So, thank you for showing the wonderful world of Gaia that most of us are now pricks. Much love. Peace.

I'll admit, I wasn't too thrilled about this sort of topic either, but this particular post is spot-on. It seems nowadays that nearly half of the community is on a constant hunt for ways to shoot down other peoples' opinions. If you say you want game suggestions for a PS3, the firsts posts are about how PS3 sucks. If you ask a question regarding Christianity, the first posts are about how religion sucks. If you start a discussion on favorite MMOs, the first posts will be about how MMOs all suck. Here, you brought up girl gamers, and the first posts are, sure enough, about how "girl gamers" (quotes emphasized) suck. neutral

It's... really a bit depressing, huh? I have to wonder how this ridiculously cutesy site attracts so much negativity. sweatdrop

That is absolutely not what I said. I said that girl gamers who want attention and create threads promoting themselves are inferior because they're just grubbing for attention. Your gender should not make you more or less important than others who share your hobby.

Shy Conversationalist

7,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
Pinkie Pyro
Raemyi
AlixMasters

That is absolutely not what I said. I said that girl gamers who want attention and create threads promoting themselves are inferior because they're just grubbing for attention. Your gender should not make you more or less important than others who share your hobby.

Ah, I'm sorry for my lack of clarity, that's what I was referring to with the "quotes emphasized" bit. In other words, she was talking about literal girl gamers, and received responses putting down quote-unquote "girl gamers," as in people who wear the title for silly reasons. More of an irony fitting with a trend than an actual, direct attack on the person - the point was how the trend was continued by the first posts (plural, mind you) all being opposed to the topic, in general. Does that make more sense? 3nodding

You're free to disagree, of course, but I hope you don't think I was saying anything against you, or anyone else, specifically. Just a general pall of negativity, is all. For the record, as I said in the first place, I don't necessarily agree with the OP either. sweatdrop

Quotable Poster

hmmmmm.....you can play video games while breast feeding...can't say I've ever seen a male gamer do that, or any male for that matter.

though in all seriousness, topics like these really only prove to annoy people. No one likes it when you raise yourself up on a pedestal for something as insignificant as liking video games while just happening to be a woman. Even if that wasn't what you intended its what you came off as.

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Raemyi

Anyway, to keep with your intended topic, I'll toss out a semi-half-baked response regarding the awesomeness. If you even *think* what you're doing is weird, and you do it anyway, then that shows a blatant disregard for conforming to social norms. And that, in and of itself, is exactly what the world needs more of. Especially since that whole negativity thing seems to be one of those social norms, itself. 3nodding
User ImageWee yea ra enne ar sar. Wee yea ra enne ar dor
Wee yea ra enne ar ciel. Rrha yea ra ieeya en near

Most of the first posts I see in "what game/mmo should I get?" threads are people asking for specifics. Usually people just post "I have a [insert console here], what game should I get?" and don't bother mentioning what they have or what kinds of games they like.

The reason we get annoyed with "hey I'm a gamer girl!" threads is because they get posted quite often. I don't care what gender/race/religion/sexual preference/etc. you are, don't shove it in my face and there won't be a problem.

Lonely Explorer

8,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
To us, nothing makes us awesome. We are just like everyone else who plays games.

But i think to a guy, what makes us awesome is that we share an interest in something that they enjoy.

I know a guy who I play CoD with who loves his GF to death, but she doesn't like video games at all. So he gets a little jealous of the other guys he plays with who's girls LET the play video games or play video games too.

Thats why when a guy finds out your a girl when you are playing a multiplayer game, their first instinct is "potential future gf"

Its kinda like outside the gaming world, a guy finding a girl who is interested in cars or hunting. Guys like it when they see we like things other than make up and fashion...when we like things that that they can relate too also.

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
Raemyi
Pinkie Pyro
Raemyi
AlixMasters

Ah, I'm sorry for my lack of clarity, that's what I was referring to with the "quotes emphasized" bit. In other words, she was talking about literal girl gamers, and received responses putting down quote-unquote "girl gamers," as in people who wear the title for silly reasons. More of an irony fitting with a trend than an actual, direct attack on the person - the point was how the trend was continued by the first posts (plural, mind you) all being opposed to the topic, in general. Does that make more sense? 3nodding

You're free to disagree, of course, but I hope you don't think I was saying anything against you, or anyone else, specifically. Just a general pall of negativity, is all. For the record, as I said in the first place, I don't necessarily agree with the OP either. sweatdrop
I understand what you're saying but the term "Girl Gamer," or any variant has negative connotations.

Shy Conversationalist

7,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
Pinkie Pyro
Raemyi
Pinkie Pyro
Raemyi
AlixMasters

I understand what you're saying but the term "Girl Gamer," or any variant has negative connotations.

Exactly my point; hence, I must not be making sense. I'll stop trying now. sweatdrop

6,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Raemyi
AlixMasters

Its okay. Just let it be, man.
AlixMasters

Amen, sister! It's so sad how you have to be careful as to what you post or somebody is going to tell you to burn in Hell or correct some trivial grammatical mistake. I'm sorry you got such negative responses. If people disagree they should express in a manner that isn't so...bitchy. Anyway, I don't consider myself a "girl gamer", just a gamer. I play all games, like action/adventure, role-playing, first person shooter, and puzzle. Anything you show me I'll play. 3nodding
What makes girl gamers awesome? Eh... There's something that girl gamers seem to do that is interesting. Let me share an example:

PlayerX is doing awful in a multiplayer game. Nerd-rage follows, as the entire team screams at PlayerX to stop sucking. PlayerX endures through the irritating, children screaming about how much bleach PlayerX should ingest after the round. PlayerX turns on the mic, and turns out to be a girl. Everyone loves PlayerX now, and she's "soooo good".

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the effect of girl gamers on multiplayer games.

koncettina
If people disagree they should express in a manner that isn't so...bitchy.

I agree, but thanks to anonymity, everyone thinks it's "cute" to be an a*****e over the internet... Which ties into why I think the gaming community across all consoles is dying quickly. Because people can be pricks and get away with it. But, what can ya do? Can't kill them all... sweatdrop
koncettina
If people disagree they should express in a manner that isn't so...bitchy.

Quote:
I agree, but thanks to anonymity, everyone thinks it's "cute" to be an a*****e over the internet... Which ties into why I think the gaming community across all consoles is dying quickly. Because people can be pricks and get away with it. But, what can ya do? Can't kill them all... sweatdrop

I totally agree and it's sad. Some little twelve year old comes home from school, hops on the internet and gets a hard-on because he tells off some nice folks on the internet. Probably the highlight of his day. lol

Cluttered Browser

26,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Do we need a male gamers thread... OHWAIT. emotion_dowant

Dedicated Loiterer

Someone's a self-entitled b***h. You aren't any more awesome than anyone else and the fact that you think you're awesome specifically because you have a uterus is disgusting.
What a bunch of angry virgins in this thread. Even the other female gamers are taking a piss on this. What happened to girl power? Did it become something of an ancient generation or is your gamer elitism just that much more important to you? lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff