Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sense vs Sensibility
Makaibari
It doesn't matter what you start with
as long as, at some point, you learn to draw realistic human anatomy and proportions
for example, I started drawing anime in fifth grade, and the anatomy sucked, but I had my own style
I recently took life drawing classes where I drew humans realistically and now I can incorporate those techniques into my anime art.

Also, it's ridiculous for anyone to be complaining about anime when they are part of an anime-based site. I just don't get it. You say that American people who draw anime have no future in art, but this site is obviously American. Alot of the anime-style characters on gaia are drawn by American artists. Obviously, there are some career paths for people who draw anime.

if you have a problem with anime, I'm sure you'd be happier quitting gaia.

I didn't say I had a problem with anime. I said i found it detrimental to development when people don't learn the basics and stick to anime while dismissing other disciplines.

I see where she is coming from. I agree.
I didn't learn the basics until High School. I combined anatomy skills, perspective, etc AS I was drawing anime. I progressed with both.

I mean, if someone is not wanting to do it as a job in the future and just draws as a hobby, I won't hold it against them if they don't know the basics. (Now that I actually am up to date and still not reading page 2...) I've seen, AND THINK- people drop the anime as they get more progressed. They learn people want to see other things, and they mesh out slowly.

IRL Fatcat

KomiyanZaibach
Makaibari

Also, it's ridiculous for anyone to be complaining about anime when they are part of an anime-based site. I just don't get it. You say that American people who draw anime have no future in art, but this site is obviously American. Alot of the anime-style characters on gaia are drawn by American artists. Obviously, there are some career paths for people who draw anime.

The problem is moreso with Americans going 'I'm going to Japan to be a manga-ka' which is not going to ever happen, rather than Americans wanting to draw in another nation's style.

Well, I agree, an American isn't going to be able to design japanese manga successfully, when there are so many talented japanese artists, who better understand japanese culture and language. The best career for an American anime-drawer to enter would be in creating an American anime/manga, for Americans, but just using the japanese style art. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Makaibari
The best career for an American anime-drawer to enter would be in creating an American anime/manga, for Americans, but just using the japanese style art. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Can't we just simply call it comics?
Technically... that is what it is, right?
Makaibari
KomiyanZaibach
Makaibari

The problem is moreso with Americans going 'I'm going to Japan to be a manga-ka' which is not going to ever happen, rather than Americans wanting to draw in another nation's style.

Well, I agree, an American isn't going to be able to design japanese manga successfully, when there are so many talented japanese artists, who better understand japanese culture and language. The best career for an American anime-drawer to enter would be in creating an American anime/manga, for Americans, but just using the japanese style art. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Seeing how the 'anime' style developed from Astro Boy, which look was in turn inspired by the art styles of 1930's American cartoons such as Betty Boop, the best career for an anime-drawing american is to learn the fundamentals and then apply elements of the style he or she wishes to do. Language and culture don't play as big as a part as you'd think, other than occasionally leading to jokes or references another culture won't 'get'.
Ahahaha look at the anime kiddies screaming, little arms flailing.

Did you all fail to see the anime cupid in my sig or what?

I never said that drawing anime is bad. I said that learning from it is a terrible idea, and you know what? It is. Whether or not you believe me (and the other folks who are posting here) is irrelevant. That doesn't change anything. You are going to suck forever if teach yourself to draw by looking at other people's drawings. Period.

There's a reason art schools teach you realism and not anime. That's because realism is the "base" that you need, not anime (or any other existing style).

But hey if you want to suck forever, be my guest. Makes no difference to me whatsoever.
ninota

I never said that drawing anime is bad. I said that learning from it is a terrible idea, and you know what? It is. Whether or not you believe me (and the other folks who are posting here) is irrelevant. That doesn't change anything. You are going to suck forever if teach yourself to draw by looking at other people's drawings. Period.

There's a reason art schools teach you realism and not anime. That's because realism is the "base" that you need, not anime (or any other existing style).

But hey if you want to suck forever, be my guest. Makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Look what site you're on, Hun. "Anime kiddies" = YOU, as well as anyone that has posted in this thread.

I think everyone has agreed here that learning the fundamentals is important regardless. If people don't want to, well- maybe art isn't what they want to do for the rest of their life?

IRL Fatcat

Luniara
ninota

Look what site you're on, Hun. "Anime kiddies" = YOU, as well as anyone that has posted in this thread.

I think everyone has agreed here that learning the fundamentals is important regardless. If people don't want to, well- maybe art isn't what they want to do for the rest of their life?
I can't believe we're all still having this conversation. Are we having it? Jeepers, guys. It hardly matters your influences, just get good at it. Nobody likes a style that is interpreted poorly.
i wish i could draw like everyone here crying crying crying
Luniara

Yes, I am posting on Gaia, therefore I'm a brainless otaku. There is no middle ground. I couldn't possibly be an artist with an interest in good quality work that happens to sometimes be Japanese. I couldn't be, say, a Miyazaki fan, or a fan of Taiyo Matsumoto. I couldn't enjoy the games here on Gaia, I couldn't be here because it's where my friends are. No, if I'm posting here, I'm a Narutard and I think that Death Note is the epitome of good art.

Because you know, that's what an anime kiddie is. And that doesn't describe me at all, so I'm at loss as to how you reached that conclusion, not knowing who I am, what I do, or...well.. anything at all about me other than what I posted here.

I'm sorry if you felt personally offended by my posts because you draw anime or whatever, but seriously chill out. Picture Post is a place for critique and artistic advice and that's what I was trying to do, give advice.
Luniara

Did you read the other posts in this thread or did you just start typing?

It is quite clear that a large potion of the posters here do not agree that learning fundamentals is important. Time and again (in this thread and others) I see them saying things like, "It's meh stylez U cant tell me how to draw! I is a artist!" when told that they need to study anatomy and draw from life.

Better yet are the ones who say things like, "Just shut the hell up, IMO. Someone who says crap like that can't draw their way out of a cardboard box. "

Where on earth did you learn how to construct an argument? A sandbox?

So few 'kiddies' on this board can take a critical opinion without resorting to personal attacks and crybaby antics.

Saying that learning how to draw isn't important because it is anime/manga is the most counterproductive argument I have ever heard and it will only serve to justify the disdain most have toward said style.

5,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Luniara

Believe it or not there are people here who aren't completely obsessed with anime. I admit, I enjoy Japanese cartoons and comics from time to time. But I don't enjoy them because they are from the glorious island of Japan, I enjoy them because they are good cartoons and comics. In general I like comics and cartoons. It doesn't matter what culture they're from or what style they are. It would do a lot of good for the kids on these forums to look beyond anime and manga. Not only by looking to other types of cartoons and comics, but also looking at other types of art: paintings, books, movies.

There might be some kids here showing off their notebook doodles, but nine times out of ten, these kids have dreams of moving to Japan and becoming a "manga ka." And sooner or later they're going to have to get serious and learn how to draw, rather than parroting other peoples work. Especially if they end up going to college, because college professors aren't going to coddle them and take "it's my style" as an excuse. The sad part is we call them "anime kids" and a lot of people here are adults who act and draw like children.
Luniara

People who draw anime should hopefully learn to make their style work.
We've ALL learned through imitation. Some people just SUCK at it, some people don't.

Those who suck learned through imitation of another individual's imitation.
Those who don't learned through imitation of life.

Quote:
Look what site you're on, Hun. "Anime kiddies" = YOU, as well as anyone that has posted in this thread

There is essentially nothing you are not wrong about. Did you know that?
Fictional Like Truth
I hate drawing anime. It's cheap, and there's no satisfaction in copying another artist's style. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
quoted for truth.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces