Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
wow! i like your drawing,

i like drawing original anime or manga, but, i can't do it properly, can you give any tips to make it better? thanks! rolleyes

~Filipino Dude rolleyes
estremita

first off, real people? lolwut? Drawing is drawing.

Second. If the style you draw in is anime, then it should be quite easy to draw a piece with personality and depth.
To create art with no personality or depth is to not create art at all, but to focus too much on bogus technique.
You're saying that people have to abandon their own style in order to draw "properly". By doing so, you're removing the personality of the artist from his/her work.

You're not an artist if you actually believe all that "you can't start with anime" crap.

yeah, I can be deep.

Ahahaha oh my goodness look at how deep you are!!! I should tread lightly so I don't splash my ankles in your wisdom. And while I'm at it I'll build a bridge over this chasm. Physics? Engineering fundamentals? lolwut? No I'll just put these planks and girders where I think they look prettiest. Yeah, of course the bridge will support you, there's no "proper" way to build a bridge! This is just my bridge-building style, I don't need arcs or triangles or cables!

You're not an architect if you believe all that "structural integrity" crap.

yeah, I can be deep
Zachary-Thomas Legion

Your argument is invalid. mainly because you have failed to grasp that you can make anime your own. Just like any other type of art.

There's considerable difference between incorporating elements if manga and anime into your own technique, and attempting to learn the basic fundamentals of drawing from what is already a heavily stylized abstraction of reality. That would be like trying to teach yourself to cook by looking at photographs of someone else's dinner plate.

"Hmm. Their chicken looks really tasty. It's brown. Better make my chicken brown! I'll dunk it in some coffee."

Understanding the basics... anatomy, perspective, drapery, light and shadow, and more... is best learned from observing reality. Once a rock-solid understanding of the basics is established, abstractions, including the conceits of manga and anime, are much more polished and successful.

estremita

Second. If the style you draw in is anime, then it should be quite easy to draw a piece with personality and depth.
To create art with no personality or depth is to not create art at all, but to focus too much on bogus technique.
You're saying that people have to abandon their own style in order to draw "properly". By doing so, you're removing the personality of the artist from his/her work.

You're not an artist if you actually believe all that "you can't start with anime" crap.

No technique is more "bogus" than imitation devoid of understanding. And no style is more worthy of abandonment than one founded in imitation devoid of understanding.

A well-trained artist... and that training can be self-taught... can competently draw anything. A copyist is limited to what someone else has already established. And a well-train artist understands the basics.

You can teach yourself to draw a few things...a very, very few things... using anime and manga as a basis. But you'll never be much of anything beyond a doodler, terrified when confronted with anything outside your comfort zone, because you won't know where to start. In a few years, you'll be like every other artist with a shaky foundation; churning out sketch after sketch of the one or two things you've learned to draw, and steadfastly ignoring anything your favorite artists haven't already provided a blueprint for.

There are thousands like you, though. So you'll have lots of company.

I look forward to watching you fill DA with saucer-eyed maid-chans, floating on blank white backgrounds with discoball light sources.

Distinct Codger

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Sweet heavens. Perhaps you guys shouldn't take so much time and effort to try and drill the facts through their skulls.
Just wait until they become famous manga-ka in Japan and prove you all wrong!

i luv anime but im not that good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! heart biggrin
Miss Fester
Sweet heavens. Perhaps you guys shouldn't take so much time and effort to try and drill the facts through their skulls.
Just wait until they become famous manga-ka in Japan and prove you all wrong!

I believe I heard the sound of Hell freezing over then.
ninota
RoxanaRose22
dude seriously....there are sooo many different types of anime/manga styles that you can draw! NO ONE draws the same exact hair or eyes or body...its just like normal drawing...i dont see a difference....

The fact that you can change the shape of the hair and eyes means nothing; you're still all using the same symbols and stylizations, without really understanding why they look the way they look.

If you want to be good at drawing anime people, you have to learn to draw real people first. Going straight into anime drawing without a good understanding of the basics will result in awkward, derivative artwork with no personality or depth.

Ya!Well you could also learn antamony THROUGH manga(anime is moving manga, basically animation.Thats what it's short for to those people who don't know.)
Like I did, I was 3 people so obviously I wouldn't have antamony in mind.I just had a manga book and Kiki's Delivery Service.It's NOT copying if you draw manga, ect.
There are characteristics you can refer upon but otherwise it's your imagination!
It's just like a T-shirt, if your a fashion designer then there is a basic model you can refer upon and still make your own ideas how you want it presented
Lunetta Red Moon

Ya!Well you could also learn antamony THROUGH manga(anime is moving manga, basically animation.Thats what it's short for to those people who don't know.)
Like I did, I was 3 people so obviously I wouldn't have antamony in mind.I just had a manga book and Kiki's Delivery Service.It's NOT copying if you draw manga, ect.
There are characteristics you can refer upon but otherwise it's your imagination!
It's just like a T-shirt, if your a fashion designer then there is a basic model you can refer upon and still make your own ideas how you want it presented

Wow. I threw up a little in my mouth. Here's the deal. If you can't even learn to quote posts correctly on a forum despite having many many many suitable examples and only ONE correct way of doing so, how do you expect to learn the complex business of anatomy from someone who is seeing it through their own prism in the first place.

Have you ever made a photocopy? Have you ever then made a photocopy of the photocopy? In the end you end up with a blurry messy unusable version of whatever piece of paper you're copying, because each copy you make adds a little more noise and is a little more off. That's why people keep hard copies around, and that's why there are people around you for you to look at.

HOW ******** HARD IS IT TO DRAW FROM LIFE. ANSWER: IT IS NOT IT IS ACTUALLY EASIER THAN DRAWING FROM ANIME.
Lunetta Red Moon

This is actually a really good analogy. People who slavishly copy anime and manga are like people who make nothing but t-shirt designs.

Meanwhile, people who learned how to draw from life are like actual clothing designers, able to design things other than t-shirts.
Pah, learning through imitation is perfectly fine. I learned how to write by slavishly copying the works of Shakespeare, and it has made me a literary genius! Behold some of my greatest work:

"To be or not both alike in dignity, when the hurlyburly's done. Come not between the dragon and the meat it feeds on, made glorious summer by this son of York. If music be the food of love, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we close the wall up with our English dead! For never was a story of more woe, than told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Absolutely perfect, and much more preferable to wasting vital years learning the so-called "basics" of writing.
Hochsten von Hurensohn
Pah, learning through imitation is perfectly fine. I learned how to write by slavishly copying the works of Shakespeare, and it has made me a literary genius! Behold some of my greatest work:

"To be or not both alike in dignity, when the hurlyburly's done. Come not between the dragon and the meat it feeds on, made glorious summer by this son of York. If music be the food of love, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we close the wall up with our English dead! For never was a story of more woe, than told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Absolutely perfect, and much more preferable to wasting vital years learning the so-called "basics" of writing.

Quoth the Raven: Cor Blimey Guv'nor!

(seriously, this post is extremely important and illustrates exactly why you NEED to learn the BASICS of any creative art)

Or you could ignore all this and end up just drawing burgers at Burger King for the rest of your life.

*tips hat to Hochsten*

You sir, win.
Reading threads like this are form of entertainment in them.

But trust me, if you take the good advice from people like Iron Spike it'll benefit you in the long run.

We were all like y'all when we were your age. Hell I remember when this site was first started. I was drawing derivative anime and Joe Mad-inspired crap drawings until I took in figure drawing and basic design. Add getting feedback from Pro's and advanced students to that, and voila, I got better by leaps and bounds.

So, please, drop your defenses and take in the advice you're getting from this, and infinitely other, arguments. It'll hlep you. I guarantee it.
Lunetta Red Moon
ninota

RoxanaRose22

dude seriously....there are sooo many different types of anime/manga styles that you can draw! NO ONE draws the same exact hair or eyes or body...its just like normal drawing...i dont see a difference....

The fact that you can change the shape of the hair and eyes means nothing; you're still all using the same symbols and stylizations, without really understanding why they look the way they look.

If you want to be good at drawing anime people, you have to learn to draw real people first. Going straight into anime drawing without a good understanding of the basics will result in awkward, derivative artwork with no personality or depth.

First, to the horribly redundant named person 'Lunetta Red Moon' I have taken the liberty of making your post quote others correctly.

Second, as someone whose own art is still lacking a lot, the hardest thing I had to accept was my art really sucked when I didn't apply basic fundamentals of art. Using 'anime' or 'manga' is about useful as learning to build a house by watching someone else build one across the street. You might be able to cobble together something that's house-like, but you really don't 'know' how to build a professional house. (And yes, in time you might stumble onto the right ways, but why reinvent the wheel when you could read books on it? Or go to carpenter school? Nah, too much effort, right? This Naruto yaoi ain't going to draw itself!)

But yeah, it is. It IS copying. Instead on learning 'antamony' or even some anatomy for yourself, you're copying someone else who could very well be copying someone else which ends up leading to this. And yes, Keisuke Itagaki makes a living off of it, but he got lucky, whereas you're drawing monstrosities you proudly post on the refrigerator door that is deviantART.

Which brings me to:

estremita

yeah, I can be deep.

As about as deep as a saucer full of piss. 'bogus technique?' I used to think that way too, a long time ago, and I hate myself for it and where does that leave you in the SamDoug top ten? scream

Your special little snowflake thought processes are mistaking 'technique' for 'conformity' which could not be further from the truth. If that were true, then all houses would look the same, all websites would look the same, and we'd all be giant one-cell creatures with no personality (sort of like your average Naruto fan!). Personality and depth is the nature of art, but if it has nothing to stand on it ends up like the clown thing on the first post.

Seriously, every time I get disheartened about my own art progress, along comes someone like you to fill me with hope, and rage. Bless you.
WAH WAH WAH, ALL ART is copying someone. shut up.

People who draw anime should hopefully learn to make their style work.
We've ALL learned through imitation. Some people just SUCK at it, some people don't.

I guess one shouldn't like Western comics either. Say, like Marvel or DC.

You realize these ppl are mass producing that stuff? Style after style. It's all the same.

Everyone has copied off of someone, they just take it and make it their own. People learn this as they progress in their skills. If they are good enough american artists to become "manga-ka", and they're able to work as some artists inker, penciler, etc because they have similar styles-

Who's to say their work is s**t?

Just shut the hell up, IMO. Someone who says crap like that can't draw their way out of a cardboard box.
Luniara
WAH WAH WAH, ALL ART is copying someone. shut up.

People who draw anime should hopefully learn to make their style work.
We've ALL learned through imitation. Some people just SUCK at it, some people don't.

I guess one shouldn't like Western comics either. Say, like Marvel or DC.

You realize these ppl are mass producing that stuff? Style after style. It's all the same.

Everyone has copied off of someone, they just take it and make it their own. People learn this as they progress in their skills. If they are good enough american artists to become "manga-ka", and they're able to work as some artists inker, penciler, etc because they have similar styles-

Who's to say their work is s**t?

Just shut the hell up, IMO. Someone who says crap like that can't draw their way out of a cardboard box.

You can take inspiration from wherever you want and no one can stop you. But if you don't ALSO study the fundamentals of drawing from the ground up, then your art will be bad! You can't learn how to draw just by looking at other people's art, especially if you're looking at an artist who sucks.

We're not saying you shouldn't like anime or manga, go nuts like whatever you want. Just understand that if you don't also study anatomy, perspective, and design as well as "style" then your art will absolutely be s**t.

Also, you don't have to be able to draw to tell people that their art is badly drawn. You just have to be able to see. neutral

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff