Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have a Question

Do Athiests Have Morals, and If they do then where do they get them from???

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Khalid Ibn Walid
I have a Question

Of course they do..

And they get them from Common ******** Sense.

Hell I would say I have a stronger faith in God than you, and even I realize that

Adored Admirer

They're called atheists, not amorals.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Haha Coffee
Khalid Ibn Walid
I have a Question

Of course they do..

Hell I would say I have a stronger faith in God than you, and even I realize that

This (except the being a Theist part). And guess what: according to the Atheist position, you get your morals from the same place. People don't condemn murder and theft because of religion; religion condemn murder and theft because it is created by people who have both instinct and reason to let them know that murder and theft is bad for society.
Religion =/= Morality
Where do religious people get their morals from?
I would trust the collective agreements of society over the 'spoken' words of peoples gods.
Ranga runner
Religion =/= Morality

Theism =/= Religion

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
I'm amoral, I'm a ******** sociopath.

I eat babies.
Khalid Ibn Walid
I have a Question

This is a good question. As an agnostic atheist, my morals are a combination of what I have learned from those around me (social/religious) and those I have tested and decided for myself to be truly moral. In most cases, it is a combination of the three.
The Catfish Blues

I eat babies.

Raw or did you get some of the lemon butter dipped?

Liberal Zealot

deadmanjay
The Catfish Blues

I eat babies.

Raw or did you get some of the lemon butter dipped?

Ooh... not good. Babies already have a high fat content. I feel sinful enough just having one plain, I don't think I could live with myself if I started ordering them prepared in heavy sauces...

Big Member

9,800 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Question is far too stupid for OP to not be trolling.
Dammit OP. This is why I can't stand you or your religion.

All this nonsense about atheism and questionable morals... its just irrelevant. People have morals, with or without God. God is only there to justify their actions, good or bad.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
They get their morals from whatever they want their morals to be.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Morality from most creatures (even in cases of self-denial like attributing their morality to santa claus or the easter bunny) is a product of eons of evolution and adaptation to a growing harshness of environment in which cooperating with similar species or beings would be beneficial.

And now you no longer have to take my word for it. To expand on the video though, let me give a few examples to solidify this premise.

Reciprocity is a trait that is shared by few and very intelligent beings on this planet, including elephants, chimps, and great apes. Reciprocity is the act by which a bond of trust is made by an action that benefits one party but not the other; The other party receiving a benefit of the trust at a later time. In an environment where food was either scarce or hard to come by, a group of chimps would have to use moral guidelines such as these to assist eachother in prioritizing food distribution or otherwise. Monkey A shares his food with monkey B even though Monkey B has none, on the grounds that perhaps Monkey B might assist monkey A with a problem or otherwise at a later date.

Religion in relevance to morality is the act of lying about the source of morality, effectively using graffiti to replace the truth of the origin of morality. It would be like if you saved someone from a burning building, and in a fit of cowardly and disgusting religious fervor I insisted that the only way you were capable of saving that person was through the power of my fictional deity of choice.

While others in this thread may not be offended by your line of questioning, i certainly am OP: Does it do you any good to forget the truths of your world in the hopes of finding someone ignorant enough to lie to on behalf of your deity?

Regardless of your motivations, the truth will always be there for those who seek it. The advent of the internet makes that truth slightly less avoidable too.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Haha Coffee
Khalid Ibn Walid
I have a Question

Of course they do..

rofl
Love this. heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas