Welcome to Gaia! ::

silkandflowers
Lokshen
Well, we did save much of the world twice, and brought stood against the Soviet Union.

Considering the entire modern world exists largely on the backs of inventions produced in the United States.... yeah we have a lot to be arrogant about.

l q l

Just so you know, the Alternating current that powers your house, indeed your whole city and every city on the globe was developed right here.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Lokshen
Xiam
Lokshen
Well, we did save much of the world twice, and brought stood against the Soviet Union.

The hell...?

I'm pretty sure both times we "saved the world" it was a collaborated effort with other national powers, most notably Great Britain, though I know for a fact that the very Soviet Union we stood against was of great importance to winning the second World War.

The fact that we joined in at the end might not have that much meaning behind it other than Japan pissed us off enough to nuke somebody.

By... attacking a military base, no less.

It was a collaborated effort that depended entirely on the United States, our army and are vast industrial capacity allowing us to easily out match Italy, Germany and Japan.

Entirely? Really?
Xiam
Lokshen
Xiam
Lokshen

The hell...?

I'm pretty sure both times we "saved the world" it was a collaborated effort with other national powers, most notably Great Britain, though I know for a fact that the very Soviet Union we stood against was of great importance to winning the second World War.

The fact that we joined in at the end might not have that much meaning behind it other than Japan pissed us off enough to nuke somebody.

It was a collaborated effort that depended entirely on the United States, our army and are vast industrial capacity allowing us to easily out match Italy, Germany and Japan.

Entirely? Really?

Well, without the merchant marines, England would have fallen, I supposed then the whole continent would be lost.
Holy One of Heaven
Gas prices are skyrocketing because we refuse to use our own oil instead of importing it from elsewhere.

This bit is actually factually incorrect. US domestic oil reserves could not output enough to replace the production that is threatened by the prospects of war with Iran [a few 100k barrels/day of domestic production v. a few 100 million barrels/day of production form the Middle East].

Aside from this, most of the price increase would appear to be artificial as domestic demand has fallen sharply and a large chunk of gasoline produced in the US is now being exported. Given that gasoline prices are somewhat arbitrary and independent of the standard supply and demand curves, I would suspect that a good portion of the rising cost is an attempt to replace profits from falling demand [people are travelling less in the recession, but they still need to travel].

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Lokshen
Xiam
Lokshen
Xiam
Lokshen

The hell...?

Entirely? Really?

Well, without the merchant marines, England would have fallen, I supposed then the whole continent would be lost.

And the Russians? I suppose they just learned Germany betrayed them, put their hands on their hips, and went "Oh, Adolf, you rascal! I sure hope the Americans can beat you, because we surely don't have a militia and the motivation to do a damn thing in retaliation."

Oh look.

Like I said, it was a collaborated effort. It's like a clock, or a watch. Just because a cog or a gear is important to the whole system doesn't make it the sole thing keeping it all running.
Xiam
Lokshen
Xiam
Lokshen
Xiam
Lokshen

The hell...?

Entirely? Really?

And the Russians? I suppose they just learned Germany betrayed them, put their hands on their hips, and went "Oh, Adolf, you rascal! I sure hope the Americans can beat you, because we surely don't have a militia and the motivation to do a damn thing in retaliation."

Oh look.

Like I said, it was a collaborated effort. It's like a clock, or a watch. Just because a cog or a gear is important to the whole system doesn't make it the sole thing keeping it all running.

The Russians, unlike most of Europe could handle their s**t a lot better. They, Like America, had vast resources, manpower and sheer will to crush Hitler. The war would have been a very brutal slog fest without us but the Russians could have rendered the invasion a death trap anyway, I just doubt they could have lodged a counter offensive.

Russia would have been still the same frozen death trap it always was, they just probably could have invaded into Eastern Europe as there was no western front to keep Germany divided.

Greedy Consumer

Lokshen

Considering the entire modern world exists largely on the backs of inventions produced in the United States.... yeah we have a lot to be arrogant about.
And now we use flouride in our water just like they put flouride in their water razz
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Lokshen

And now we use flouride in our water just like they put flouride in their water razz

Your also likely using our Alternating current to power your computer, home and cities.
QuestionPollgirl
Do you think Americans have a habit of overestimating excellence?
Honestly, no. Quite the opposite actually; many young Americans think America sucks in my experience.
Quote:
Do you see any danger to that?
No. A country should do it's best to take too much pride in itself. Builds morale that lasts through tough times.
I don't think nearly as many americans are over patriotic as others like to paint us. I think we have just as many knowledgeable people as arrogant like everyone else. Plus it's kinda stupid to assume we all know nothing about the rest of the world. Especially since many of us have immigrants in our family or are immigrants. I've met just as many over patriotic foreigners as I have native people.

Greedy Consumer

Lokshen
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Lokshen

Your also likely using our Alternating current to power your computer, home and cities.
*sorta smirks*

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Do you think Americans have a habit of overestimating excellence?
Americans in general? No. With the amount of cynical narcisist in the US, I'd think that there is a huge portion of the population that realizes that America is either not what it's cracked up to be, or that other countries are better about a lot of things than us. Though, in terms of "better off"? I'd personally say that our country is indeed better off than other, more shitty countries.

Do you see any danger to that?
In an American thinking their country is more awesome than other countries? I don't see any harm in that.

Timid Phantom

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I never did, but a lot probably do, at least somewhat. At the same time though, America is pretty good at a lot of things.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
'MURICA! pirate

Gracious Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
silkandflowers
americans tend to overestimate the importance of their country and their government's opinion on world issues. unfortunately, the rest of the world tends to follow their lead.

However the US government does have quite an important say in world events. US imperialism still exists.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff