Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tactical Leg Sweep
Inritus_v3
Tactical Leg Sweep
Inritus_v3
Tactical Leg Sweep
I find accusations of self-importance coming from Europeans of all people to be incredibly hilarious.

Why is that?

Because there's a whole sociological concept dedicated to how self-centered Europeans are?

I've never noticed that Europeans are self-centered. Not even the slightest bit.

If we're going by personal and anecdotal evidence like we have been using for Americans, ALL of the Europeans from various countries I've encountered have had at least varying degrees of Eurocentric ideals.

Europeans aren't self-centered at all. Also because Europeans are so divided by country that they don't usually even feel very united as Europeans.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Not that I've seen in real life.
Inritus_v3
Tactical Leg Sweep
Inritus_v3
Tactical Leg Sweep
Inritus_v3
Tactical Leg Sweep
I find accusations of self-importance coming from Europeans of all people to be incredibly hilarious.

Why is that?

Because there's a whole sociological concept dedicated to how self-centered Europeans are?

I've never noticed that Europeans are self-centered. Not even the slightest bit.

If we're going by personal and anecdotal evidence like we have been using for Americans, ALL of the Europeans from various countries I've encountered have had at least varying degrees of Eurocentric ideals.

Europeans aren't self-centered at all. Also because Europeans are so divided by country that they don't usually even feel very united as Europeans.

Not a logical response when I've met self-centered Europeans, unless you're going to accept that I say Americans aren't self-centered at all. So? Different states are so diverse in the U.S that they might as well be different countries in some cases with how culturally different they are. That doesn't mean they aren't self-centered. As I said, there's an entire sociological phenomenon based around how self-centered Europeans are. Europeans tend to think they're the center of the world in culture. Europe is still a huge bastion for xenophobia and racism, and much if it is based on the idea that Europe is superior in culture than "lesser" cultures like South America or Africa.
I've seen other people who were vapid about their countries and whatnot. The US has a lot of influence over the world however, so naturally what the US says/does is put under the microscope.

I don't hate myself for being American but I don't have a big head over it either. Many people I've met were just as reasonable as I am.

In fact, that last sentence could be twisted into me saying that I have a large ego since I used the "as I am" at the end. It's not me saying that I am "better", but simply that I don't swing into the extremes of self-hate or vapid patriotism and I know this.
Lokshen
Well, we did save much of the world twice, and brought stood against the Soviet Union.

Despite the fact that it was the Soviet Union that actually won WW2 for the Allied Nations?
I think that the only recurring trend in the two world wars is that France lost both times wink

Quote:
Considering the entire modern world exists largely on the backs of inventions produced in the United States.... yeah we have a lot to be arrogant about.

Which were....?

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Mark Twain 100
I don't think it's unique to Americans, but sure, there are plenty who think their country is the best. There's not really anything wrong with being proud of some things your homeland has done, but it could be dangerous if it means blind devotion and absolutely no thought to any of the bad things. Every culture/society has done some shitty things at some point. It's important to recognize them in addition to celebrating the good.

Quotable Conversationalist

4,300 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

No but actually, I've met a few Americans and they all seem awesome enough to me. I guess it all depends on who you know.

Beloved Friend

Melody Niwa
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

No but actually, I've met a few Americans and they all seem awesome enough to me. I guess it all depends on who you know.
Hee hee this made me giggle.
I'm proud to be an American and I do believe it's a good country. Other countries have citizens who share this popular sentiment also. (They're probably jus not as vocal about it due to cultural reasons)
However there are a lot of countries like Germany whose population doesn't show great patriotism like Americans do.

Sometimes I think the 'greatness' of America blinds many Americans from realizing many of the problems we face as a country. We have always proclaimed ourself to be a wealthy, fair, and accepting nation. But this 'American Dream' is sometimes far from reality...

Blessed Prophet

5,750 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Dude, I'm damn proud to be American, because my parents were Chinese immigrants that worked hard to come into the U.S. so that me and my little brother can have a better life. I've met a wide variety of people here, all sorts of races and all sorts of personalities. You can't judge this kind of melting pot with one general assumption that we're all stuck-up prats waving flags and screaming 'USA! USA!'
We probably only get that riled up at International sport contests, but then again, whats wrong with cheering for your home team?

Is there something wrong about not hating the country that took care of you?

Blessed Prophet

5,750 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Fermionic
Lokshen
Well, we did save much of the world twice, and brought stood against the Soviet Union.

Despite the fact that it was the Soviet Union that actually won WW2 for the Allied Nations?
I think that the only recurring trend in the two world wars is that France lost both times wink

Quote:
Considering the entire modern world exists largely on the backs of inventions produced in the United States.... yeah we have a lot to be arrogant about.

Which were....?

Fire sprinklers, laser printer, fiber glass, e-mail, escalator, electric guitar, bass guitar, bubble gum, bar code, dental floss, digital camera, dish washer, hard disk drive, ATM, assembly lines, artificial heart, airbag, Adobe Flash, Apollo Lunar Module, acrylic paint, firewall, first ever video game, flash light, flow chart, GPS, American football, baseball, basketball, lacrosse(Native Americans tbh), volleyball...etc.

And last but not least, the INTERNET.

What now? wink

(this was just the stuff that I could pull off wikipedia. I'm sure that there are other inventions that haven't been listed, but I don't feel like hunting them down)
(also, here's the link if you want to verify it.)
Nature Friendly
Fermionic
Lokshen

Quote:

Which were....?

Fire sprinklers, laser printer, fiber glass, e-mail, escalator, electric guitar, bass guitar, bubble gum, bar code, dental floss, digital camera, dish washer, hard disk drive, ATM, assembly lines, artificial heart, airbag, Adobe Flash, Apollo Lunar Module, acrylic paint, firewall, first ever video game, flash light, flow chart, GPS, American football, baseball, basketball, lacrosse(Native Americans tbh), volleyball...etc.

What now? wink

(this was just the stuff that I could pull off wikipedia. I'm sure that there are other inventions that haven't been listed, but I don't feel like hunting them down)

The man most responsibile for the creation of the internet was English.

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Unfortunately, American Exceptionalism is alive and well in the States.

Don't get me wrong-- I love my country, but there's a ******** of stuff wrong with it.

User Image

Blessed Prophet

5,750 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Fermionic
Nature Friendly
Fermionic
Lokshen

Quote:

Which were....?

What now? wink

The man most responsibile for the creation of the internet was English.

Really?
Yes we do. I piss on you, Frenchies.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas