Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think Americans have a habit of overestimating excellence? Do you see any danger to that?
Best "at" ? America excels at a lot of things, Spending/consuming hmm lol on a more serious note most simply have pride for their country and want to believe they're the best at whatever theyre doing. Be it the Olympics, technology, Education, or all around living conditions.

I never really believed the whole " pride in ones country " propaganda myself. I realize there will always be someone out there who is the best in a specific area, and instead of assuming and being incorrect I can try to better myself to be better or on par with them.

Because right now America's education system is crap, its unemployment rate is way too high...and we outsource too many jobs (which also effects our unemployment funny enough lol)

Beloved Lunatic

It's a plague of hubris. America isn't alone in it, though. It's a human thng. Or do you not see yourself as better than other kinds of animal?
I want to relive my teen years.... I was such a dipshit back then.
I don't know about other Americans, but I'M the best.
americans tend to overestimate the importance of their country and their government's opinion on world issues. unfortunately, the rest of the world tends to follow their lead.

Dapper Reveler

I think we are actually a pretty awful bunch currently but i do like the ideals that it was based of off.
Well, we did save much of the world twice, and brought stood against the Soviet Union.

Considering the entire modern world exists largely on the backs of inventions produced in the United States.... yeah we have a lot to be arrogant about.
If the American ego were food, not one person would have to go hungry.
Americans don't have a habit of that. The perception that America has a habit of that is why they are perceived as having have that habit.

Dedicated Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Honestly it a matter of opinion and it depends on the person same could be asked about anything involving racism

Gracious Fairy

8,750 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Thread Flip 150
Well, to start off, I am an American, and never have I once really been patriotic about my country. I don't have much pride in being an American at all. I mean, sure we have a decent lifestyle and living conditions, but there are so many things that could be improved if only bigotry and greed didn't get in the way.

I think America in general believes nothing can happen to them. They can live however they want without consequences. We can pay with plastic and get into debt over our heads instead of living within our means with what we have. We give our jobs to foreigners in China or elsewhere because the cost of American labor is much higher and profits are lower. Gas prices are skyrocketing because we refuse to use our own oil instead of importing it from elsewhere. Kids are growing up without good parenting and turn out to be rude, impolite and lacking good moral standards. Churches claiming to be Christian or 'of God' are luring people in and brainwashing them by preaching what people want to hear, not what they need to hear, just so they have the comfort of being supported by the offering cup.

These are just a few examples of what I believe are problems Americans face everyday, and most of us are too blinded to even see the truth of what is truly going on. I've been trying to break the mold of what I was taught, especially in regards to church and religion, and simply try thinking for myself and choosing for myself by asking the simple question of "why?" Not thinking for yourself and simply adopting the views and beliefs of another, whether its government, religion, education, makes a person weak and has no true identity of who they are. Believe me, I've been there. I'm still trying to figure out who I am, what I truly believe, what I truly stand for, and while I don't hate America or Americans, I really do believe one day soon our time will fall just like the Roman empire, because God, the Universe, is trying to get our attention and stop acting like we're king of the world and don't need Him.

But yeah, as for me, being an American isn't what makes me proud to be alive. Being myself does.

4,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Actually, depending on region, most Americans are pretty cynical these days. Even in Texas which is a patriotic red state the overall mood is one of disappointment with our system.

Americans are just very narcissistic and self-involved I think, compared perhaps to other first worlds such as the members of the EU. We're focusing on our collapsed economy atm and not feeling particularly prideful or arrogant.
I don't think the majority of Americans have a lot of pride in their country (often the opposite), but many have pride in themselves as individuals, or at the very least, a level of narcissism and ignorance about the outside world.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I always assumed that everyone in their respective countries thought their country was the best.

But as for Americans... Pretty big patriotism culture here. Not usually too bad, I mean, America is a pretty good place. High standard of living compared to most countries, our entertainment industry is huge, we've had lots of remarkable scientific and technology innovations, plenty of natural resources, lots of cool stuff, really. I don't really have an issue with it, it just gets annoying when people act like being an American automatically makes them great.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff