Welcome to Gaia! ::

Christ the Holy Son
i S o m m e r
Christ the Holy Son
i S o m m e r
Christ the Holy Son

I disagree.

Well, like you grow up not being as pretty, I'll say like in your highschool years maybe. Not getting all the boys or anything, and just learning to love yourself the way you are. You're established as a humble person.
Exit highschool and everyone and their mom wants you. But you've already established your sense of humbleness, now you can have a non cocky sense of confidence as well. You know that beauty isn't everything because at some point in your life you've been going without it and living just fine.
I'm in-familiar with the concept of self love. It almost appears to be...self delusion or narcissism when you've got pretty much no reason for it. Then again...I wrestle with personal demons.

Lol you can love yourself without beauty, there are many other things that maybe even too much beauty can close the doors off too.

Loving yourself without beauty?

I can't conceive it...not being Narcissistic.

Well like you said way to much confidence can ruin an ugly person, Basing confidence only off of beauty can be a bad thing too.
Pretty does NOT last for ever, less than a year even in alot of cases.
I used Megan Fox as an example earlier, she's had plastic surgery, because all she has is her beauty and no humbleness to her. If she gets ugly, or old news (and she will/has) She'll have nothing left.

I've seen plenty of girls who were pretty and confident only in their looks. When no one cared anymore, they were lost/ kept trying to stay 'in'.
i S o m m e r
Christ the Holy Son
i S o m m e r
Christ the Holy Son
i S o m m e r
Christ the Holy Son

I disagree.

Well, like you grow up not being as pretty, I'll say like in your highschool years maybe. Not getting all the boys or anything, and just learning to love yourself the way you are. You're established as a humble person.
Exit highschool and everyone and their mom wants you. But you've already established your sense of humbleness, now you can have a non cocky sense of confidence as well. You know that beauty isn't everything because at some point in your life you've been going without it and living just fine.
I'm in-familiar with the concept of self love. It almost appears to be...self delusion or narcissism when you've got pretty much no reason for it. Then again...I wrestle with personal demons.

Lol you can love yourself without beauty, there are many other things that maybe even too much beauty can close the doors off too.

Loving yourself without beauty?

I can't conceive it...not being Narcissistic.

Well like you said way to much confidence can ruin an ugly person, Basing confidence only off of beauty can be a bad thing too.
Pretty does NOT last for ever, less than a year even in alot of cases.
I used Megan Fox as an example earlier, she's had plastic surgery, because all she has is her beauty and no humbleness to her. If she gets ugly, or old news (and she will/has) She'll have nothing left.

I've seen plenty of girls who were pretty and confident only in their looks. When no one cared anymore, they were lost/ kept trying to stay 'in'.
That's weird to me, being pretty in order to fit in. The only reason why i'd consider plastic surgery is in order to feel good about myself.
People who don't have good looks can get self confidence through other options like hating other people. hatred is a strong power. Can do wonders.
Christ the Holy Son
Samadhi23
Christ the Holy Son
I've pretty much only seen attractive people look confident.

What is your sample size? I have seen an extremely large amount of people that are unattractive but look confident.

South Park even just did a parody this week on the "fat and proud" demographic.

I've seen attractive people look confident yet... I've seen ugly people look arrogant.

I don't like it when less attractive people are ultra cocky because they're practically setting themselves up for failure and will suffer a Narcissistic injury when they realize...."I'm gross looking"

So it sounds like you have made a mental choice to create a false dividing line. Bob and Greg both display traits generally considered congruent with confidence. Bob is a stud by whatever definition of attractiveness you use; Greg looks like he literally bathed in s**t. Bob you have decided to call confident; but Greg looks arrogant or cocky to you. The reason you have "only seen attractive people look confident," therefore, is based upon a definition of confidence that is internal to you and not reflective of the generally accepted meaning of the word.
Agatha Trunchbull had prodigious confidence in herself, she wasn't necessarily a looker.
Christ the Holy Son

Oh I didn't mean they became pretty to be 'in'
Only that people decided someone was pretty for a bit, then got over that person.
And because pretty was all that person ever knew. They have nothing
I think trying to get surgery to look better. Will only lead to more surgeries and insecurities.
But sometimes it works, and people live happily ever after.
Samadhi23
Christ the Holy Son
Samadhi23
Christ the Holy Son

What is your sample size? I have seen an extremely large amount of people that are unattractive but look confident.

I've seen attractive people look confident yet... I've seen ugly people look arrogant.

I don't like it when less attractive people are ultra cocky because they're practically setting themselves up for failure and will suffer a Narcissistic injury when they realize...."I'm gross looking"

So it sounds like you have made a mental choice to create a false dividing line. Bob and Greg both display traits generally considered congruent with confidence. Bob is a stud by whatever definition of attractiveness you use; Greg looks like he literally bathed in s**t. Bob you have decided to call confident; but Greg looks arrogant or cocky to you. The reason you have "only seen attractive people look confident," therefore, is based upon a definition of confidence that is internal to you and not reflective of the generally accepted meaning of the word.

I live in my head, alot.

The "accepted" meaning doesn't really help me understand myself. I agree with you that the dividing line is one of my own creation.

I mean the reason I created the dividing line seems to be...I see myself as one of those Ugly people who realized that they're gross looking in order to prevent failure(Call it a rationalization, but it makes sense).
i S o m m e r
Christ the Holy Son

Oh I didn't mean they became pretty to be 'in'
Only that people decided someone was pretty for a bit, then got over that person.
And because pretty was all that person ever knew. They have nothing
I think trying to get surgery to look better. Will only lead to more surgeries and insecurities.
But sometimes it works, and people live happily ever after.

Yeah, that's the difference between Megan Fox and I.

She wants pretty for the sake of external validation, I want pretty for the sake of internal validation.
Christ the Holy Son
Samadhi23
Christ the Holy Son
Samadhi23
Christ the Holy Son

I live in my head, alot.

The "accepted" meaning doesn't really help me understand myself. I agree with you that the dividing line is one of my own creation.

I mean the reason I created the dividing line seems to be...I see myself as one of those Ugly people who realized that they're gross looking in order to prevent failure(Call it a rationalization, but it makes sense).

So even if you had all of the external validation in the world. Not because of your looks, you would feel the same way internally?
i S o m m e r
Christ the Holy Son
Samadhi23
Christ the Holy Son
Samadhi23
Christ the Holy Son

I live in my head, alot.

So even if you had all of the external validation in the world. Not because of your looks, you would feel the same way internally?
I hate to say it, but yes...

I've been complimented for everything, my poetry and my papers but....

I feel the same internally.
Christ the Holy Son
i S o m m e r
Christ the Holy Son
Samadhi23
Christ the Holy Son

I live in my head, alot.

Maybe it would help to acknowledge that others appreciate you
Fermionic
Agatha Trunchbull had prodigious confidence in herself, she wasn't necessarily a looker.
I don't know why but...I SERIOUSLY dislike people like that and I can't figure out why.
i S o m m e r
Christ the Holy Son
i S o m m e r
Christ the Holy Son
Samadhi23
Christ the Holy Son

I live in my head, alot.

Maybe it would help to acknowledge that others appreciate you

I'm appreciated for my utility... D:

I want to be appreciated for being useless.

Lucky Lunatic

10,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
i S o m m e r

Irkul is a great example, I forgot the real actors name, he completely threw away his attractiveness to play the part of a person who isn't as attractive. But still thinks he's the s**t.
Alot of actors could never throw away their looks and cockiness for a second to do something like this.
When have you ever seen Megan Fox play a role where she's not a piece of a**.

Irkul was played by "Jaleel white" I think, his first role and almost got him subtyped/tagged or whatever you callit because he did so well with it. When I saw him in shark/croc movies (or something along those lines) and such recently it was like "HOLY-He played irkul?! Dafuq?" Next best examples I can think of are Josh peck, dude used to play "Josh" in "Drake and Josh"-he was literally a 'cute fatso' at best, but nao he's refined and is a hawt prettyboy; just by his own confidence+willingness to work out, nu lipo/etc. xd
Ryan seacrest, whatever the guy who played Harry Potter's name was..as I said, there's a whole meme dedicated to it, which says alot in itself.

If a person is ugly and has no confidence, they can inadvertantly set themselves up for failure in that sense. Suure "there is not too much to fall from"-but if you think you're at rockbottom how can you encourage yourself to climb up the proverbial ranks in society?
Christ the Holy Son
Fermionic
I don't know why but...I SERIOUSLY dislike people like that and I can't figure out why.

People like what?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces