Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kelwyn
Kai LittleBlackSmith
Salathielly
What's your favorite type of trivia?

I have English, Spanish, and Japanese dictionaries, because the latter two are the foreign languages I studied (though I've forgotten nearly all of what I learned, sadly). Oh, and Welsh...bought it when I was in Wales, just in case. It's a cute little pocket dictionary with the Welsh dragon on the cover. I like to check foreign dictionaries out from the library every once in a while. Right now I have a Latin, an Esperanto, and a Swahili dictionary checked out.
I like general trivia, though I'm pretty good with a few subjects (like turtles, since I worked at a sea turtle hospital).

I heart languages and etymology.

How many threadlings are fans of etymology? I know that there's Kai, Georgie, and me... anyone else?

*raises hand!*

I'm currently teaching English as a foreign language... formerly studied French, now learning Spanish... but have always loved Wales and wanted to learn a bit of Welsh, I tried to learn some from the BBC website a few weeks back... and I have to be careful with my students because I'm so in love with words that I'll go off on a tangent explaining the origin of a phrase, or of the English language, or how words that have a similar root but seemingly vastly differing meanings can still be related...

I also learned a *tiny* bit of Japanese a while back, though I've forgotten most of it. As "The Little Prince" is one of my favorite books of all time, I now own it in several languages: English, French student edition, English with larger colored illustrations, French but cut and pasted from copies with my own illustrations added plus vocab notes, Japanese, and now Spanish.

Nostalgic Elder

How do I foster babycats and their babycatsmama?
I've got all the basic supplies and a room with a view, but I am afraid that I will forget something. sad

Familiar Nerd

8,950 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nerd 50
Kai LittleBlackSmith
I've got all the basic supplies and a room with a view, but I am afraid that I will forget something. sad

To be honest I've never had a cat with kittens in the house, so I'm unsure what special items might be needed.
Kai LittleBlackSmith

Don't forget a good scratching post! A lot of times, you have to be observant to figure out what texture a cat is actually inclined to scratch. Most of them *don't* like the carpet-covered posts sold in most mainstream pet stores. I've found that my cat likes burlap or canvas-y materials, and is also okay with sisal, a tightly-woven hemp fabric that you can probably buy a mat of and staple around an existing pole, in a pinch. Other cats are all about the cardboard scratching boxes. Some of mine have liked plain wood, like a vertical two-by-four. Some cats are vertical scratchers, and others horizontal; the vertical ones need something tall enough for them to stretch to their full length. It's important for a cat to scratch, to keep their muscles in shape and their claws short and sheathing, so finding something they'll actually be inclined to scratch is super important! Basic human nail clippers are also best for claw-trimming, which is good to start acclimating them to at an early age.

Houses with kittens often require a fair amount of cat-proofing, for safety's sake. Make sure that electrical cords are taped down or at least bundled, to keep nosy cats from chewing on them. Put houseplants well out of reach, and heavy or breakable items away from shelf edges. Make sure there aren't any rubber bands, strings, "Easter grass," tinsel, or bits of cellophane that could be nommed on. Double-sided tape, though, can be a godsend if you are trying to train them not to claw on things like the edges of couches and mattresses, or the bottoms of drapes. Sometimes a little spritz bottle can be used to train, as well -- especially with a little bit of lemon juice or vinegar in it. I feel safer with the natural approach than with any chemical mix. (Then again, my cat didn't even respond to spritzing -- his fur was apparently too thick and sleek for him to feel it, and if I sprayed liberally, he would just hunker down where he was, rather than jumping off of a countertop, for instance.) I also recommend getting some toys that are like a tuft of cloth/fur/cardboard at the end of a bouncy wire. My cat would get into *everything* when he was little, so that if I wanted to watch a movie or something, I had to dangle a shoelace for him for two hours straight. Nonstop. It would have been helpful to have a toy that I could put less effort into, to distract him with, and something like that can be propped or wedged in place and still respond to the cat's actions.

Soooo not trying to be pedantic, just didn't know if you knew or were thinking of any/all of that already, and hoping this helps! biggrin

Nostalgic Elder

WillowPurr
Kai LittleBlackSmith
Don't forget a good scratching post! A lot of times, you have to be observant to figure out what texture a cat is actually inclined to scratch. Most of them *don't* like the carpet-covered posts sold in most mainstream pet stores. I've found that my cat likes burlap or canvas-y materials, and is also okay with sisal, a tightly-woven hemp fabric that you can probably buy a mat of and staple around an existing pole, in a pinch. Other cats are all about the cardboard scratching boxes. Some of mine have liked plain wood, like a vertical two-by-four. Some cats are vertical scratchers, and others horizontal; the vertical ones need something tall enough for them to stretch to their full length. It's important for a cat to scratch, to keep their muscles in shape and their claws short and sheathing, so finding something they'll actually be inclined to scratch is super important! Basic human nail clippers are also best for claw-trimming, which is good to start acclimating them to at an early age.

Houses with kittens often require a fair amount of cat-proofing, for safety's sake. Make sure that electrical cords are taped down or at least bundled, to keep nosy cats from chewing on them. Put houseplants well out of reach, and heavy or breakable items away from shelf edges. Make sure there aren't any rubber bands, strings, "Easter grass," tinsel, or bits of cellophane that could be nommed on. Double-sided tape, though, can be a godsend if you are trying to train them not to claw on things like the edges of couches and mattresses, or the bottoms of drapes. Sometimes a little spritz bottle can be used to train, as well -- especially with a little bit of lemon juice or vinegar in it. I feel safer with the natural approach than with any chemical mix. (Then again, my cat didn't even respond to spritzing -- his fur was apparently too thick and sleek for him to feel it, and if I sprayed liberally, he would just hunker down where he was, rather than jumping off of a countertop, for instance.) I also recommend getting some toys that are like a tuft of cloth/fur/cardboard at the end of a bouncy wire. My cat would get into *everything* when he was little, so that if I wanted to watch a movie or something, I had to dangle a shoelace for him for two hours straight. Nonstop. It would have been helpful to have a toy that I could put less effort into, to distract him with, and something like that can be propped or wedged in place and still respond to the cat's actions.

Soooo not trying to be pedantic, just didn't know if you knew or were thinking of any/all of that already, and hoping this helps! biggrin
I didn't think about a scratcher! Thank you! Our Penny LOVES her sisal. And the dining room rug. And the antique settee that Fwee got me as my birthday project. We have extra sisal and wood, so we might be able to make another scratching post for the fostermittens.
We have cats, and got Penny when she was a babycat, so we know about general cat-proofing.
A friend runs a rescue and we now are in a position to help foster, so we're going to take in a mamacat and her five furry jellybeans, who are two weeks old.

User Image

LOOK AT THEEEEM.
I didn't think about a scratcher! Thank you! Our Penny LOVES her sisal. And the dining room rug. And the antique settee that Fwee got me as my birthday project. We have extra sisal and wood, so we might be able to make another scratching post for the fostermittens.
We have cats, and got Penny when she was a babycat, so we know about general cat-proofing.
A friend runs a rescue and we now are in a position to help foster, so we're going to take in a mamacat and her five furry jellybeans, who are two weeks old.

User Image

LOOK AT THEEEEM.

AAAAAAGH the cuteness, I can hardly bear it! Soadorable! Why can't I just magically give homes to all kitties in need, why??

Invisible Helper

45,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
WillowPurr

User Image

LOOK AT THEEEEM.

AAAAAAGH the cuteness, I can hardly bear it! Soadorable! Why can't I just magically give homes to all kitties in need, why??

So cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

We only have two, but they all look so sweet and cuddly. heart

Invisible Prophet

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Salathielly
Kai LittleBlackSmith
Salathielly
Kai LittleBlackSmith
I have a weakness for buying up mythology books, too! And dictionaries and trivia books.
My husband's books are mainly about mountain biking, rock climbing, and Anne Rice novels. X3

Thank you! Every day has new possibilities. 3nodding

Mythology is just so fascinating...and every book has slightly different details and versions of the myths, so you can't have just one. xD What sort of trivia? And dictionaries of just the English language, or foreign/fantastical ones as well?

I've only read a couple of books by Anne Rice, and I'm pretty sure I don't own any books on rock climbing or mountain biking.
Any trivia I can get. On sale or clearance.
Mostly English, but I have some for other languages... I used to keep French-, Spanish-, and German-to-English dictionaries right on my desk.

What's your favorite type of trivia?

I have English, Spanish, and Japanese dictionaries, because the latter two are the foreign languages I studied (though I've forgotten nearly all of what I learned, sadly). Oh, and Welsh...bought it when I was in Wales, just in case. It's a cute little pocket dictionary with the Welsh dragon on the cover. I like to check foreign dictionaries out from the library every once in a while. Right now I have a Latin, an Esperanto, and a Swahili dictionary checked out.

Hi Salathielly,
Did you end up learning more of Esperanto? I've recently developed an interest in Eo, and wonder your perspective, from having learned some of a few other languages.
Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your reply.

Sahri's Partner

Dapper Mage

laughed at you when he

Hi Salathielly,
Did you end up learning more of Esperanto? I've recently developed an interest in Eo, and wonder your perspective, from having learned some of a few other languages.

Ah! I'm...actually not learning the language, and I'm not a linguist, so I am really not the best person to ask. The only languages I took were Spanish and a single year of Japanese, and I've forgotten pretty much everything I've learned. sweatdrop

I just checked out the dictionary because I was curious about it. The library I work at has some history with Esperanto, as the founder's books were translated into the language and there was even a school that taught Esperanto in my tiny little town for some time. This was all many years ago, but it did make me curious about the language.

Invisible Prophet

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Salathielly
laughed at you when he

Hi Salathielly,

Ah! I'm...actually not learning the language, and I'm not a linguist, so I am really not the best person to ask. The only languages I took were Spanish and a single year of Japanese, and I've forgotten pretty much everything I've learned. sweatdrop

I just checked out the dictionary because I was curious about it. The library I work at has some history with Esperanto, as the founder's books were translated into the language and there was even a school that taught Esperanto in my tiny little town for some time. This was all many years ago, but it did make me curious about the language.

Interesting. And working at a library must be great! What country? Poland is where the founder started it.

Sahri's Partner

Dapper Mage

laughed at you when he
Salathielly
laughed at you when he

Hi Salathielly,

Interesting. And working at a library must be great! What country? Poland is where the founder started it.

The United States, oddly enough. And it is quite fun (most of the time) to be a librarian. :3

Invisible Prophet

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Salathielly

The United States, oddly enough. And it is quite fun (most of the time) to be a librarian. :3

What degree or training did it require to get hired? I have an Bachelor's degree, but it's not in library science.

Sahri's Partner

Dapper Mage

laughed at you when he

What degree or training did it require to get hired? I have an Bachelor's degree, but it's not in library science.

Hmm...well, it really depends on the library and what they require. I work in a small library in a small, rural-ish community, and my pay grade definitely doesn't fit my education level, but it's the library I grew up attending and I love the place, so I make do. :3

I do have a master's in library and information science. I probably wouldn't need it to work where I do, but some libraries/positions definitely require it, and I doubt I would have been "promoted" as much as I have at work if I didn't have my MLIS.

Invisible Prophet

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Salathielly
laughed at you when he

Hmm...well, it really depends on the library and what they require. I work in a small library in a small, rural-ish community, and my pay grade definitely doesn't fit my education level, but it's the library I grew up attending and I love the place, so I make do. :3

I do have a master's in library and information science. I probably wouldn't need it to work where I do, but some libraries/positions definitely require it, and I doubt I would have been "promoted" as much as I have at work if I didn't have my MLIS.

Where would be a good place to obtain a Master's degree in Library Science? Are there particular schools that have better known or respected programs than others, once one graduates?

Sahri's Partner

Dapper Mage

laughed at you when he
Salathielly
laughed at you when he

Where would be a good place to obtain a Master's degree in Library Science? Are there particular schools that have better known or respected programs than others, once one graduates?

If you're in the US, I'd definitely check to make sure the program is ALA accredited. (ALA is the American Library Association.) If there's one in your state that is, I'd suggest going there so you don't have to pay out of state tuition...college is quite expensive enough as it is, and scholarships aren't so easy to come by in the library world unless you're a minority or a single mother or something like that (which is probably as it should be). If you can get a library job beforehand and get your job to pay for you to get your degree, that would be even better. I've heard of some people with stories like that, though it's not very common as far as I know. You'll probably also want to make sure the program offers courses in areas of library/information science that interest you - do you want to work in an academic library? A school library? A public library? A medical or law library? A museum or archives or special collection? Doing research for a corporation? If so, in what capacity? Do you want to be out with the public doing programs, do you want to be the person who orders the books/movies/etc., do you want to be the person who catalogs the items and decides where in the library they should go and how people might search for them? Do you want to work with adults or kids or teens or anyone?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff