Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Smoker

Khalid Ibn Walid
I Have a Question

What Happens when you die?

You rot...unless you're cremated...then you burn...

Familiar Smoker

TheOverlordsUnderling
TANRailgun
Dardanos Immortalis
dh8d1

TheOverlordsUnderling
Aliens visiting our planet
No.

But do you believe in aliens? As is other lifeforms(possibly advanced) in other parts of the galaxy/Universe?
I believe it is extremely likely, if not a certainty.

As do I. I am just positive that there is no possible way that aliens could make it here. And unless science one day proves that time and space can be folded like paper, I will continue to be sure of it.

I have so many reasons why I don't believe that aliens can be visiting our planet. I hope someone gets me started. I watch way to many science shows lol.

(I really wish I could spell better. I had to dodge around so many stupid words just writing a few sentences. I WANT TO SAY WHAT I WANT TO SAY. NOT WHAT I KNOW HOW TO SPELL!) crying

Actually you don't have to fold spacetime, just bend it a bit. There was a proposal for a method of faster than light travel by someone which, while difficult, is possible. It involves (in a nut shell) compressing spacetime at the front of the craft, and expanding it at the rear. I don't know all the details on it, but I do remember hearing about it.

Distinct Phantom

You MIGHT have to fold space/time. Scientists are so split on the shape of time that no claims should be made (Imo).

Hallowed Hunter

TANRailgun
TheOverlordsUnderling
TANRailgun
Dardanos Immortalis
dh8d1

TheOverlordsUnderling
No.

But do you believe in aliens? As is other lifeforms(possibly advanced) in other parts of the galaxy/Universe?

As do I. I am just positive that there is no possible way that aliens could make it here. And unless science one day proves that time and space can be folded like paper, I will continue to be sure of it.

I have so many reasons why I don't believe that aliens can be visiting our planet. I hope someone gets me started. I watch way to many science shows lol.

(I really wish I could spell better. I had to dodge around so many stupid words just writing a few sentences. I WANT TO SAY WHAT I WANT TO SAY. NOT WHAT I KNOW HOW TO SPELL!) crying

Actually you don't have to fold spacetime, just bend it a bit. There was a proposal for a method of faster than light travel by someone which, while difficult, is possible. It involves (in a nut shell) compressing spacetime at the front of the craft, and expanding it at the rear. I don't know all the details on it, but I do remember hearing about it.

While I don't believe Aliens have visited our planet, I certainly don't think its impossible. Far from it.
If you could build ships that where able to support life for a long long time then you could get to other solar systems. There could be countless ways in which ftl travel is possible.
I don't think people appreciated just how little we know and how young we are.

Noob

TANRailgun
TheOverlordsUnderling
TANRailgun
Dardanos Immortalis
dh8d1

TheOverlordsUnderling
No.

Now that is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Things like this are hardly a theory yet. It's not like there is any proof this wild idea would actually work. When they come up with proof, I might consider the idea of life visiting earth. I just can't believe in alien visitation without proof. Human kind are story tellers. It's in our nature. It makes for great fiction stories, but really bad eye witness testimony. Though I think we're all pretty much on the same page about that much.

PS, That sounds really interesting. If you know where you read/heard about that theory you should let me know. I'm always interested to hear about cool science things.

Salty Fatcat

Do your parents know? And if so how do they feel about it?

Familiar Smoker

TheOverlordsUnderling
TANRailgun
TheOverlordsUnderling
TANRailgun
Dardanos Immortalis

Now that is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Things like this are hardly a theory yet. It's not like there is any proof this wild idea would actually work. When they come up with proof, I might consider the idea of life visiting earth. I just can't believe in alien visitation without proof. Human kind are story tellers. It's in our nature. It makes for great fiction stories, but really bad eye witness testimony. Though I think we're all pretty much on the same page about that much.

PS, That sounds really interesting. If you know where you read/heard about that theory you should let me know. I'm always interested to hear about cool science things.
Oh don't get me wrong, I think the idea of extraterrestrial life visiting us to be extremely unlikely. This proposed craft, however, was thought of by a legit physicist, and is physically possible, it just requires a whole lot of energy, it's called an Alcubierre drive.

Familiar Smoker

Tocahontas

Do your parents know? And if so how do they feel about it?
Yes, my mother knows (was raised in a single parent household), and shes fine with it, it's never been an issue. In fact, she is now married to an Atheist (they just got married last year).

My sister (only other immediate family member) also knows, and is leaning towards Atheism herself. The only other person of note, whom I never really told, was my grandmother, who was very religious, and knew that I wasn't. I never told her that I was an Atheist before she died, and I really regret that, but I think she knew, or at least suspected. But if she did know or suspect as much she didn't change the way she treated me in any way.
Blade Dancer
You MIGHT have to fold space/time. Scientists are so split on the shape of time that no claims should be made (Imo).

Time can be treated in the overwhelming majority of physics just like the spatial dimensions are treated [I can't easily think of any exceptions].

TheOverlordsUnderling

Actually, the Alcubierre drive is largely based upon the current theory of gravity [general relativity] and is thus not as far fetched as your phrasing would imply. We do know that the theory is not 100% accurate and the Alcubierre drive does use more of its fringe portions, but it is in a region where we are fairly confident that relativity still works as described by the general theory [not small enough for conflicts with quantum mechanics to arise, largely]. Additionally, we are reaching the point where we can use lasers to create and detect this type of space-time distortion if the theory is correct. As a result, while a fully functioning Alcubierre spaceship is not in the immediate future, it is possible that confirmation of the mechanisms used for the drive is.

[Link about NASA's current work with the drive]

[I have no comment about extraterrestrial life visiting Earth other than there does not presently exist any evidence which strongly suggests such an event has occurred]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff