Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Smoker

I Juxtaposed
In Civilization 5 if I host an online game that was saved and the people in the game cannot connect and we are on turn 600 or so, should we start over or try to fix the game?
Depends, were you winning?
TANRailgun
Henry Hobo-Master
Atheists are not the same. I fail to understand why I should ask you anything, when someone else could be completely different (in why they are Atheist and what they believe in).

To me, Atheists are wolves. Religions main purpose is to gather them under one belief structure (hence theists have the "Sheep and Shepard" relationship). I'm not saying either is good or bad... it doesn't exactly matter in this situation either.

I'm really just saying that "Ask an Atheist" doesn't exactly make any sense, now does it Mr. Wolf? The only thing you may have in common with other Atheists is the fact that you don't believe in any type of Deity officially.
Thus why this is titled "Ask an Atheist", not "Ask EVERY Atheist". If you honestly think that every member of a given religion (or what have you) believes the same thing, then you are grossly misinformed. Take for example Christianity, you can believe a wide variety of things as still refer to yourself as Christian, because all that is required of you to classify yourself as a Christian is to believe in Christ and all that stuff. Similarly there are vastly different schools of thought in pretty much every religion.

And I wonder what you mean when you call us wolves. Are you saying that we prey on the faithful (the sheep)?

ugh. Time to get over yourself Mr. Wolfy. I specifically said that it doesn't matter.

And so it doesn't matter. The End.

Familiar Smoker

Golden Black Tea
Question: What made you an Atheist? Was it an event that occurred where you noticed some indecency among believers of a particular religion? Or perhaps you sat down a thought about it.

Perhaps a combination of both?

I am curious.

Basically I just never really believed. It's not that I wasn't exposed to religion when I was young, its just that when I was little (4 or 5) and still deciding what I believed, I started asking questions. Questions like "I know dinosaurs existed, but the bible doesn't mention them in genesis, why not?" and "If this god is real, are these other ones real too?". I found the answers to be unsatisfactory, so I decided that I didn't believe. And since I didn't believe, and when your a kid religion doesn't really come up, I assumed most people didn't believe. It actually wasn't till high school that I found out otherwise.

Familiar Smoker

Henry Hobo-Master
TANRailgun
Henry Hobo-Master
Atheists are not the same. I fail to understand why I should ask you anything, when someone else could be completely different (in why they are Atheist and what they believe in).

To me, Atheists are wolves. Religions main purpose is to gather them under one belief structure (hence theists have the "Sheep and Shepard" relationship). I'm not saying either is good or bad... it doesn't exactly matter in this situation either.

I'm really just saying that "Ask an Atheist" doesn't exactly make any sense, now does it Mr. Wolf? The only thing you may have in common with other Atheists is the fact that you don't believe in any type of Deity officially.
Thus why this is titled "Ask an Atheist", not "Ask EVERY Atheist". If you honestly think that every member of a given religion (or what have you) believes the same thing, then you are grossly misinformed. Take for example Christianity, you can believe a wide variety of things as still refer to yourself as Christian, because all that is required of you to classify yourself as a Christian is to believe in Christ and all that stuff. Similarly there are vastly different schools of thought in pretty much every religion.

And I wonder what you mean when you call us wolves. Are you saying that we prey on the faithful (the sheep)?

ugh. Time to get over yourself Mr. Wolfy. I specifically said that it doesn't matter.

Wait...what did I do? Was it because I was asking for clarification on the "wolf" thing? And did I act all full of myself?
TANRailgun
Henry Hobo-Master
TANRailgun
Henry Hobo-Master

Wait...what did I do? Was it because I was asking for clarification on the "wolf" thing? And did I act all full of myself?

Silly Wolf, we can't have a conversation if "The End" was already 2 post before!

That's just.... Absurd and stuff.

Familiar Smoker

Henry Hobo-Master
TANRailgun
Henry Hobo-Master
TANRailgun
Henry Hobo-Master

Silly Wolf, we can't have a conversation if "The End" was already 2 post before!

That's just.... Absurd and stuff.
I see....good bye then.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
TANRailgun
The New Wineskin
Have you have eastwooded a conversation with God?
Have you have grammar?

I make one grammatical mistake . . . neutral

Familiar Smoker

The New Wineskin
TANRailgun
The New Wineskin
Have you have eastwooded a conversation with God?
Have you have grammar?

I make one grammatical mistake . . . neutral
Still don't know what you meant...but considering I never have conversations with any deity, probably not.

Wealthy Capitalist

7,150 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Gaian 50
TANRailgun
So, I'm feeling a bit masochistic this evening, and I see a lot of these "Ask a __" threads all the time, but never really an "Ask an Atheist" thread. So I figured I'd make one, basically just because I can.

So yeah, anything you ever wanted to know about Atheists and were afraid to ask....here's your chance.

But I will be out of town for a few days, so don't flip out if I don't answer you for a while.

why not agnostic?

Familiar Smoker

Shwomp
TANRailgun
So, I'm feeling a bit masochistic this evening, and I see a lot of these "Ask a __" threads all the time, but never really an "Ask an Atheist" thread. So I figured I'd make one, basically just because I can.

So yeah, anything you ever wanted to know about Atheists and were afraid to ask....here's your chance.

But I will be out of town for a few days, so don't flip out if I don't answer you for a while.

why not agnostic?
Claiming to be an Agnostic isn't a belief statement, it's a claim to a lack of knowledge. I am an Agnostic Atheist, meaning I don't claim to know, but I don't believe.

Wealthy Capitalist

7,150 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Gaian 50
TANRailgun
Shwomp
TANRailgun

why not agnostic?
Claiming to be an Agnostic isn't a belief statement, it's a claim to a lack of knowledge. I am an Agnostic Atheist, meaning I don't claim to know, but I don't believe.

So you believe that the universe and human existence is the result of mere chance?

Familiar Smoker

Shwomp
TANRailgun
Shwomp
TANRailgun

why not agnostic?

So you believe that the universe and human existence is the result of mere chance?
Define chance.

Wealthy Capitalist

7,150 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Gaian 50
TANRailgun
Shwomp
TANRailgun
Shwomp
TANRailgun

why not agnostic?

Define chance.

Roll of the dice, without reason

Familiar Smoker

Shwomp
TANRailgun
Shwomp
TANRailgun
Shwomp
TANRailgun

why not agnostic?

Define chance.

Roll of the dice, without reason
Then no. The universe and everything in it are the result of the interactions of the primal forces (electromagnetism, gravity, strong and weak radiation, and by extension, matter), and the laws of physics. These interactions produce various phenomena, life (and by extension, humans) are just one of these phenomena.

Noob

These questions are coming from a fellow atheist so don't feel like I'm attacking you or anything.
If you answer these I will too.

Do you have a belief about why/how we (Humans, life, existence as a whole) are/is here, or is it just good enough not to know?

Do you believe in evaluation?
(I guess this one was kind of a fallow up question)

Do you feel religion causes more good or bad in the world?

Do you believe in: Ghosts, Aliens visiting out planet, UFO's, Bigfoot, or any other supernatural or unproven beings/creatures?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff