Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Smoker

So, I'm feeling a bit masochistic this evening, and I see a lot of these "Ask a __" threads all the time, but never really an "Ask an Atheist" thread. So I figured I'd make one, basically just because I can.

So yeah, anything you ever wanted to know about Atheists and were afraid to ask....here's your chance.

But I will be out of town for a few days, so don't flip out if I don't answer you for a while.
Have you considered that you might not be feeling so masochistic when you return and find these questions in your notice box?

Familiar Smoker

Vincent the Forlorn
Have you considered that you might not be feeling so masochistic when you return and find these questions in your notice box?
Oh yes, but I'm hoping by then I'll just feel like a total d**k and bash everyones heads in.
Atheists are not the same. I fail to understand why I should ask you anything, when someone else could be completely different (in why they are Atheist and what they believe in).

To me, Atheists are wolves. Religions main purpose is to gather them under one belief structure (hence theists have the "Sheep and Shepard" relationship). I'm not saying either is good or bad... it doesn't exactly matter in this situation either.

I'm really just saying that "Ask an Atheist" doesn't exactly make any sense, now does it Mr. Wolf? The only thing you may have in common with other Atheists is the fact that you don't believe in any type of Deity officially.
TANRailgun
Vincent the Forlorn
Oh yes, but I'm hoping by then I'll just feel like a total d**k and bash everyones heads in.
Has it ever occurred to you that you don't play Clint Eastwood, but rather, the Asian hoodlums that went and pissed him off?

Big Member

9,800 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I don't mean to be rude, but the "Ask a _____" threads are usually made to situate an opportunity of gaining knowledge in-depth, personally, which may otherwise be scarce.

But Atheism is very common on the internet. So the opportunism that those threads serve best with isn't there.

Beloved Lunatic

Henry Hobo-Master
Atheists are not the same. I fail to understand why I should ask you anything, when someone else could be completely different (in why they are Atheist and what they believe in).

To me, Atheists are wolves. Religions main purpose is to gather them under one belief structure (hence theists have the "Sheep and Shepard" relationship). I'm not saying either is good or bad... it doesn't exactly matter in this situation either.

I'm really just saying that "Ask an Atheist" doesn't exactly make any sense, now does it Mr. Wolf? The only thing you may have in common with other Atheists is the fact that you don't believe in any type of Deity officially.

Clearly what we need is a panel of atheists. What criteria should there be for the panel?
from blue to
Henry Hobo-Master

Clearly what we need is a panel of atheists. What criteria should there be for the panel?

I'm not exactly sure, I'm not atheist. I'm not familiar with the whole "I don't like religion", because there are some religions that are quite nice. Not all.

I hear that Amazing Atheists guy is a good start though. Lots of people seem to like him. Maybe the criteria should begin with: "Do you agree with the Amazing Atheist"? Then following with: Are you Buddhist?

Interesting Seeker

TANRailgun
So, I'm feeling a bit masochistic this evening, and I see a lot of these "Ask a __" threads all the time, but never really an "Ask an Atheist" thread. So I figured I'd make one, basically just because I can.

So yeah, anything you ever wanted to know about Atheists and were afraid to ask....here's your chance.

But I will be out of town for a few days, so don't flip out if I don't answer you for a while.

What would you do if you found out there is a higher power then yourself?

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
I am following up on Henry The Hobo's question and going off of the notion that his writings are accurate.

Ahem...

What route does Little Red Riding Hood take on her way home? More importantly, why are your teeth so big?

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Have you have eastwooded a conversation with God?
JediDillon
TANRailgun

What would you do if you found out there is a higher power then yourself?

Atheists may beleive in powers higher than themselves - just not gods.

Gaian

I thought an Atheist meant someone who studies religions. Hopefully, also has respect for religions and the people with belief(s). Or am I reading to much into it?

Adventuring Streaker

9,825 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Inquisitor 200
What is the purpose of life? smile

My question reminds me of existentialism. Do all Atheists have that view?
In Civilization 5 if I host an online game that was saved and the people in the game cannot connect and we are on turn 600 or so, should we start over or try to fix the game?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff