Welcome to Gaia! ::

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
CNN
A mohawk-wearing anarchist nicknamed "Cyco" was among five men arrested after allegedly conspiring to blow up a bridge about 15 miles south of Cleveland, the FBI said Tuesday.

Douglas L. Wright, 26, joined alleged co-conspirators Brandon L. Baxter, 20, a.k.a. "Skabby," and Anthony Hayne, 37, a.k.a. "Tony" and "Billy," in a plot authorities say homed in on the Brecksville-Northfield High Level Bridge, which spans the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and carries a four-lane highway.

The men were arrested Monday evening in an FBI sting, but posed no real danger to the public because the explosives they had were inert and were controlled by an undercover FBI employee, the bureau said in a news release.

The men have been charged with conspiracy and attempted use of explosive materials to damage physical property affecting interstate commerce.

Connor C. Stevens, 20, and Joshua S. Stafford, 23, also were arrested, though their charges remain pending.

Authorities say at least three of the men are self-proclaimed anarchists who had considered "a series of evolving plots over several months."

"The defendants stand charged based not upon any words or beliefs they might espouse, but based upon their own plans and actions," said U.S. Attorney Steven Dettelbach.

They allegedly conspired to acquire plastic explosives (C-4) and build two bombs, affixing them to the bridge's support columns to be remotely detonated on Monday.

Wright, Baxter and a man referred to as C.S. allegedly agreed to pay $900 for the devices, as well as separate riot gear, according to a criminal complaint filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court.

At first, they'd considered using smoke grenades to distract local law enforcement in an effort to "topple financial institution signs atop high rise buildings," the complaint says.

Wright allegedly was pursuing "The Anarchist Cookbook," which describes the construction and use of explosives. "We can make smoke bombs, we can make plastic explosives. ... It teaches you how to pick locks. It does everything," he is alleged to have said.

According to the complaint, authorities were first alerted to the beginnings of the alleged scheme last year when an undercover FBI employee attended a protest group's event.

The employee was deployed, the complaint said, because of "an initial report of potential criminal activity and threats involving anarchists who be attending."

During the event on October 21, 2011, an undercover FBI employee observed "four suspicious males with walkie-talkie radios around their necks," the complaint says. Some of the men also donned black masks while carrying anarchist flags and "acted differently than the other people in attendance."

The men were "constantly moving through the crowd expressing displeasure at the crowd's unwillingness to act violently," it says.

"During a briefing between protesters and organizers, the organizers explained who would be arrested, emphasizing that they wanted everyone to conduct peaceful civil disobedience," the complaint adds. "One of the original four men turned away and said 'f--- that' before the group of men walked away."

During the course of the alleged plot, however, Baxter later expressed reservations, saying that blowing up a bridge "would not stop money flowing to the 'one percent,'" the complaint says.

The reference is catch-all phrase commonly employed by the Occupy movement in describing America's wealthy, particularly those atop the financial services industry, suggesting they hold disproportionate influence over the rest of the country.

"Occupy Cleveland," a local branch of the loosely organized protest that began last year in New York's Zuccotti Park, tweeted on Tuesday that it was "shocked by these allegations."

"We continue to be committed to creating social change through non-violence," the group said.

Federal authorities say the year-long operation focused on the five suspects and had not targeted the broader Occupy movement.

"The FBI and the Department of Justice are not and do not investigate movements," Dettelbach told reporters Tuesday. "We investigate crimes."

CNN National Security contributor Fran Townsend said she would expect no others to be named in the case. "Typically in the course of an investigation, you let that investigation run until you identify all those you believe pose a threat and then you wrap them all up at the same time," she said.

The men, whose attorneys could not be immediately reached for comment, were slated to appear before a federal magistrate in U.S. District court later Tuesday.

Source

Little rascals...

Mega Noob

In the video, what do they mean by stating the explosives were "inoperable"? Please don't tell me the undercover agent supplied dummy explosives.

Edit: Sorry missed that paragraph. So this is another shitty entrapment/agent provocateur gig.
While I don't deny these guys are stupid and inconsiderate as s**t, most such plans begin and end over the crack pipe unless someone comes in and enables them, essentially daring them to carry through.
I'm not really sure how blowing up one bridge and pushing some signs down would bring about anarchy, it would probably do the opposite...
agrab0ekim
I'm not really sure how blowing up one bridge and pushing some signs down would bring about anarchy, it would probably do the opposite...

I think it brings the opposite even if they aren't successful. This is a plot to kill civilians and harm infrastructure, no telling how many deaths a sign falling on a crowded street would cause and I'd rather not think of the bridge. It's a dumb plan, made by dumb people.
Dostya
This is a plot to kill civilians and harm infrastructure, no telling how many deaths a sign falling on a crowded street would cause and I'd rather not think of the bridge. It's a dumb plan, made by dumb people.

That all depends on the size of the sign.

One stop sign at a four-way stop in the middle of rush-hour: death toll would probably be less than 10.

Now if we're talking all four stop signs at a four-way stop in the middle of rush hour, there's the hypothetical potential for a lot of people being killed, whether it be pedestrians from hit-and-run jackasses, unaware drivers hitting each other, car pile-ups, the list goes on. I don't even want to think of a minimum number.

Billboard size from top of a building? Depends on how crowded the street is and what time of day it happens. If we're talking New York City crowded, the death toll could be staggering.

As for blowing up a bridge, I'm going to assume these chuckleheads were planning on detonating the explosives at rush-hour for maximum effect. That would be a rather grim death toll anyway you look at it.

But you know what pisses me off about this whole thing more than the fact these anarchists were planning to pull an attack like this? By mentioning that stupid book, the boys in the NSA over at their "super-secret data-collection center" in Utah have put that term at (or at least near) the top of their list when it comes to looking for potential terrorists/risks to national security/flight risks/persons of interest based on their web browsing.

I don't know if the thing's in paperback, nor do I care, but if the U.S. government was ever going to decide it was time to start banning books for "national security purposes", this sting would be one of the reasons they could try to use to justify it.

The question is: will more people like these five morons start popping up and getting busted by the FBI in the near future, especially in what looks to be like a close election year where everything that has happened under Obama's first term will be fair game for the GOP (Operation Fast & Furious anyone?)?

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."

Dedicated Fatcat

8,400 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
agrab0ekim

Probably runs along the same logic of those who think they can bring about a race war by killing some random dude on the street because you know, deep down inside we are all horrible racists trying to kill each other.
METALFumasu
Dostya
This is a plot to kill civilians and harm infrastructure, no telling how many deaths a sign falling on a crowded street would cause and I'd rather not think of the bridge. It's a dumb plan, made by dumb people.

That all depends on the size of the sign.

One stop sign at a four-way stop in the middle of rush-hour: death toll would probably be less than 10.

Now if we're talking all four stop signs at a four-way stop in the middle of rush hour, there's the hypothetical potential for a lot of people being killed, whether it be pedestrians from hit-and-run jackasses, unaware drivers hitting each other, car pile-ups, the list goes on. I don't even want to think of a minimum number.

Billboard size from top of a building? Depends on how crowded the street is and what time of day it happens. If we're talking New York City crowded, the death toll could be staggering.

As for blowing up a bridge, I'm going to assume these chuckleheads were planning on detonating the explosives at rush-hour for maximum effect. That would be a rather grim death toll anyway you look at it.

But you know what pisses me off about this whole thing more than the fact these anarchists were planning to pull an attack like this? By mentioning that stupid book, the boys in the NSA over at their "super-secret data-collection center" in Utah have put that term at (or at least near) the top of their list when it comes to looking for potential terrorists/risks to national security/flight risks/persons of interest based on their web browsing.

I don't know if the thing's in paperback, nor do I care, but if the U.S. government was ever going to decide it was time to start banning books for "national security purposes", this sting would be one of the reasons they could try to use to justify it.

The question is: will more people like these five morons start popping up and getting busted by the FBI in the near future, especially in what looks to be like a close election year where everything that has happened under Obama's first term will be fair game for the GOP (Operation Fast & Furious anyone?)?

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."
Not stop signs, billboards on top of buildings. Substantial size difference.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Quote:
Wright allegedly was pursuing "The Anarchist Cookbook," which describes the construction and use of explosives. "We can make smoke bombs, we can make plastic explosives. ... It teaches you how to pick locks. It does everything," he is alleged to have said.
Here's what gets me.

Pursuing without finding? Here in the information age? Scheisse. Way to mark yourself off as a loser terrorist. At least Breivik did his homework. Anarchist's Cookbook was written decades ago, by a high school student, using resources available in his local library. It's only gotten easier to find since.

Jeering Regular

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
The anarchists are ruining Law Day.
Less Than Liz
The anarchists are ruining Law Day.

What about International Workers' Day? scream
Disa Uniflora

The men were arrested Monday evening in an FBI sting, but posed no real danger to the public because the explosives they had were inert and were controlled by an undercover FBI employee, the bureau said in a news release.

Why is this the case with all "stopped-in-the-nick-of-time terrorist attacks"? It seems every few months the Alphabet Boys give some poor sods some explosives, wait for them to try and blow something up, and with the use of the Patriot Act, come in and snatch them up just in time. Then, they fix up a nice tidy press release, and viola! Justification for less freedom, more control, more government forces on our streets and more spies watching us.
METALFumasu

The Alphabet Boys planned for someone to attempt an attack so as to continue the "war on terror". Your anger at the anarchists in question is unjustified, they were probably just some poor dumb fringe psychos who got taken for a ride.

Mega Noob

Most May Day attacks are small-scale, committed by half-wits with no political knowledge beyond that of their particular agenda's most extreme talking points. Troublemakers and mentally ill people just waiting for an excuse to "blow s**t up". However, if they somehow get in touch with a person with seemingly infinite disposable resources and contacts, they suddenly become very dangerous to society at large.

Now the truth is such people are extremely rare, often require their clients to be reliable, and are almost always tied with organized crime, dealing with one group exclusively. It's a dangerous trade, they're not handing out C4 willy-nilly. These dumb shits never had a shot at it, synthesizing plastic explosives would probably have rendered them burnt to a crisp or in a wheelchair, but everything's possible with the little extra push from a government agent.

I've attended a few weapons deals and if you even ask for grenades they will think you're crazy.

Damn you Ban, beat me to my own local news.

As someone who lives in the Seattle (general) area, I have one thing to say to those anarchist douchebags like the Black Bloc: Go ******** yourselves in the a** with a knife Gadaffi style.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff