Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

3,800 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Millionaire 200
Aporeia
Feminism's goal isn't equality for the sexes, that's absurd. It's the goal of expanding female rights.

Equality for the sexes would mean things like maternity leave wouldn't be a thing... and abortion rights would be merely a fringe topic.

Claiming the movement is merely about equality is an intellectually dishonest appeal to emotion.

My point x1000 call a spade a spade and do away with all of the misdirection and dishonesty. It'll make whatever they wish to call their movement much more credible.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Infamy In Action
1. The definition of feminism
Feminism: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.
Feminist: a person who supports feminism.

Isn't that called egalitarianism? Feminism is a movement, one which pushes for equality, but mostly focuses on supporting women in the case of sexual inequality - ergo, feminism.

Infamy In Action
2. People who are not feminists
Anyone (even someone who claims to be a feminist) who doesn't hold the ideology above is not a feminist.

I'd point out the whole hypocrisy in regards to "men's right's activists" and "misogynysts," but meh. I don't really give a s**t, and clicked on your topic because I wanted to mock how it sounded like a bad Cracked/BuzzFeed article.

Infamy In Action
3. This is feminism
Woman's suffrage is feminism. The fight for equal pay is feminism. The right for young girls to be given the same education as young boys is feminism. Arguments for women to be able to be shirtless wherever a man can is feminism. The want for woman not to be expected to shave and wear bras when men aren't is feminism. Sexual liberation for women is feminism. The rising fight for equality concerning men is feminism.

Can you please clarify the underlined?

Infamy In Action
4. Not everything involving a woman = Feminism
Wanting to stop street harassment is not about feminism, it's about not being a d**k.

Oh good, then we're in agreement, about that and others. Because that's something I never did get about all of this. Things people talk about, in regards to behavior and things... it's something I always took as a given. You don't treat people (no matter who they are) like garbage. You also don't rape, but I sort of assumed that was something to be taken as an inherent, obvious fact. Not something I had to be taught, because if you have to be taught not to rape women, then doesn't that sort of show some level of sociopathy or something? It's like being raised to not kill people. That's great. But generally being a psychopathic serial killer is a sign that something is seriously wrong with you, isn't it?

Sorry, I'm rambling. I don't think I have a point, just making a thought.

Infamy In Action
5. If you are against feminism, you are for inequality of the sexes
If you are a woman against feminism you shouldn't be able to vote, get paid equally for same work or get an education because those are privileges that should've been left to men apparently.

Excuse you.

Annata Cannata
"What? You aren't fixing a problem caused and continued mostly by men that even I haven't put much care towards and only mention on feminist topics? Feminist are anti-men!!!! There, I did my part"

The way you channeled Yoby and Lambs & Lions there was spooky, man...

Dangerous Lunatic

3,800 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Millionaire 200
Sooooo instead of posting in one of the already millions of existing Pro Feminism threads that make 100% more sense than this one, we decide to make yet ANOTHER one, that fails to make even more sense than it's predecessors. So much for a wealth of diverse topics to talk about.
Kaijirai
Aporeia
Feminism's goal isn't equality for the sexes, that's absurd. It's the goal of expanding female rights.

Equality for the sexes would mean things like maternity leave wouldn't be a thing... and abortion rights would be merely a fringe topic.

Claiming the movement is merely about equality is an intellectually dishonest appeal to emotion.

My point x1000 call a spade a spade and do away with all of the misdirection and dishonesty. It'll make whatever they wish to call their movement much more credible.

It's not dishonesty. Look:

o < ----- that right there is men

.....o <---- that right there is women

Feminism's "goal" is to bring that second dot all the way on up to the first dot. This is done through deconstruction of social norms and power dynamics. As in, why do these unequal paradigms exist, and how are they reinforced? THe answer is ongoing. Nobody, at least nobody anyone listens to, is dishonest about any of that.

Dangerous Lunatic

3,800 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Millionaire 200
Senator Armstrong
Kaijirai
Aporeia

Feminism's "goal" is to bring that second dot all the way on up to the first dot. This is done through deconstruction of social norms and power dynamics. As in, why do these unequal paradigms exist, and how are they reinforced? THe answer is ongoing. Nobody, at least nobody anyone listens to, is dishonest about any of that.

Except, if we were to give women all of the social privilege that men do have, without also deconstructing the social privilege that we have built up for women as well, then it will look like this

...o

o

Because we are clear that women do have certain social advantages as well as their disadvantages. In order for feminism to be completely equal, they've also got to advocate breaking down the double standards in favor of women as well. I'm sure that this is what keeps MRAs at odds with Feminism as well as the average guy. If they advocate sacrificing the double standards that benefit them AS well as receiving the rights and benefits that guys have, then there is guaranteed to be a much larger push and credibility in Feminism as an EQUALITY movement.
Kaijirai
Sooooo instead of posting in one of the already millions of existing Pro Feminism threads that make 100% more sense than this one, we decide to make yet ANOTHER one, that fails to make even more sense than it's predecessors. So much for a wealth of diverse topics to talk about.
I've considered writing things on complex topics that aren't clickbait muhsojiny s**t here, but something tells me it'd get ignored since nobody on this board has an ax to grind about something like, say, practical means of precluding government or private Internet censorship. Nobody would argue for page after page on here about smart data vs smart processes in artificial intelligence design. I highly doubt anybody is going to sit here and argue over the finer details of which policies will culminate in a faster Internet that's cheaper by the gigabyte.

And that's just in my field, computer science. I'm sure there's tons of interesting things in chemistry, or physics, or anything other than this social justice warrior bullshit that spawned from Tumblr. But nobody gives a ******** about these matters, because it's not controversial, and frankly, moral outrage is not seen as a valid argument among those that do have these conversations.
Kaijirai
Senator Armstrong
Kaijirai
Aporeia

Except, if we were to give women all of the social privilege that men do have, without also deconstructing the social privilege that we have built up for women as well, then it will look like this

...o

o

Because we are clear that women do have certain social advantages as well as their disadvantages. In order for feminism to be completely equal, they've also got to advocate breaking down the double standards in favor of women as well. I'm sure that this is what keeps MRAs at odds with Feminism as well as the average guy. If they advocate sacrificing the double standards that benefit them AS well as receiving the rights and benefits that guys have, then there is guaranteed to be a much larger push and credibility in Feminism as an EQUALITY movement.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck off
Roih Uvet
I'm sure there's tons of interesting things in chemistry, or physics, or anything other than this social justice warrior bullshit that spawned from Tumblr. But nobody gives a ******** about these matters, because it's not controversial, and frankly, moral outrage is not seen as a valid argument among those that do have these conversations.

It requires technical know-how.

Dangerous Lunatic

3,800 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Millionaire 200
Senator Armstrong
Kaijirai
Senator Armstrong
Kaijirai
Aporeia

...o

o

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck off

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dangerous Lunatic

3,800 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Millionaire 200
Roih Uvet
Kaijirai
I've considered writing things on complex topics that aren't clickbait muhsojiny s**t here, but something tells me it'd get ignored since nobody on this board has an ax to grind about something like, say, practical means of precluding government or private Internet censorship. Nobody would argue for page after page on here about smart data vs smart processes in artificial intelligence design. I highly doubt anybody is going to sit here and argue over the finer details of which policies will culminate in a faster Internet that's cheaper by the gigabyte.

And that's just in my field, computer science. I'm sure there's tons of interesting things in chemistry, or physics, or anything other than this social justice warrior bullshit that spawned from Tumblr. But nobody gives a ******** about these matters, because it's not controversial, and frankly, moral outrage is not seen as a valid argument among those that do have these conversations.

Welp, Gaia might as well save the bandwidth and just merge the GD and ED and have one big fustercluck.
Kaijirai
Senator Armstrong
Kaijirai
Senator Armstrong
Kaijirai
Aporeia

...o

o

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck off

And you people wonder why all I ever do is make fun of you.

Dangerous Lunatic

3,800 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Millionaire 200
Senator Armstrong
Kaijirai
Senator Armstrong
Kaijirai
Senator Armstrong

...o

o

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck off

And you people wonder why all I ever do is make fun of you.

Not really. It doesn't bother me enough for me to give it a second thought.

Shameless Mystic

Senator Armstrong
Aporeia
Senator Armstrong
Aporeia

You know there's paternity leave, right?

Haha of course you don't. How can I expect to to know something about what you're talking about??
Paternal leave is somewhat rare, though, and I don't think I've ever heard a feminist making a big deal out of it... though I have heard about squabbles in California with same sex partners getting leave. It seems like a largely ignored subject.

So why not say "there should be both paternity and maternity leave" rather than just take all the good things away from people?
I said nothing of the sort. I said that claiming feminism is about equality is an intellectually dishonest claim. I didn't say anything at all concerning my actual stance.

Men and women are biologically and socially dissimilar, and being simply fair and/or equal isn't really the best option for everyone. The feminist movement does not focus on egalitarianism. The feminist movement focuses on the optimization of female rights.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff