Who Are The Babes?
Progress
Art & Signs

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
User Image

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by my quest heart I'm Dot, better known to fellow Gaians as Dyejob or Dye. I don't know what to say upfront about myself, but I will answer questions. So ask me questions 3nodding

This is the second run of Book Babes, a quest I started a couple of years ago while bored and fiddling around on TekTek. I got this brilliant idea to cosplay four of my favorite female characters from books. The inaugural four girls were: Cho Chang, from the Harry Potter series; Gertrude Yorkes, from the Marvel Runaways comic series; Cherokee and Witch Baby Wigg-Bat from the Weetzie Bat collection of three (or four) books.

Note: These are my personal interpretations of the characters. You don't have to support my quest if you don't want to, so I would appreciate it if negative criticism was kept out of the thread.

Feel free to bump, hang out, vote up, chat, and -- of course -- donate whatever you can spare. I'd love to see some signs and/or art!

NEWS AND UPDATES

o4.9.19

OMG WTF IS GAIA!? LOL

I'm bored at work and watned to see if I could still log in, post, etc. Hi everyone!

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
User Image

Phase I was just a sampling of some of my favorite female fictional characters, chosen on a whim because I thought it'd be a lot of fun to try cosplaying them. These four in Phase II, however, were first chosen because they are all female characters whose books have been turned into movies! I thought it would be fun to converge movie visuals with book descriptions and personal interpretations.

User Image

Forget Lori Petty, this is Tank Girl straight from the pages of her original comic series. She plays rough all over the outback of Australia, consorting with all manner of strange individuals and getting into explosive misadventures, all while on the run from the authorities.

My interpretation is a composite of various elements and looks from Alan Martin and Jamie Hewlett's less heroic, more chaotic-neutral version of the dame. There's a lot going on with this make, because she's got to look like she's on a non-stop bender-slash-shoot-'em-up. The smoke kind of obfuscates a lot of fun details, but I can't part with the smoke. It's too fitting not to include.

User Image

If I did have a tumour, I'd name it Marla. Marla. The scratch on the roof of your mouth that would heal if you could stop tonguing it. But you can't.

Marla is the only woman crazy enough to get close to the main character in Fight Club, if only because she'd hit rock bottom far before he began his fateful bout with insomnia. I chose her because she's one of the most unforgettably gritty supporting characters I've ever encountered in fiction. She's nuts, but in a very real and understandable/sympathetic way.

The Fight Club movie compares very well to the book; director David Fincher does a great job of carrying author Chuck Palahniuk's grit and swagger over to film. With that said, my avi cosplay of Marla is torn from the scene in the movie when the narrator first meets Marla at one of the support meetings.

Read (most of) the book here on GoogleBooks!

User Image

Sophisticated -- God, I'm sophisticated!

Daisy is the subject of the title character's unrequited love in F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic, The Great Gatsby. One of the wealthy socialites in the Jazz Age, she exists to be beautiful and manipulative -- and ultimately destructive. The book, which I highly recommend as a terrific allegory of the amoral excess of Jazz Age America, is also available for reading on GoogleBooks.

I chose her because even though I would never encounter (nor enjoy encountering) a woman like her, she's such a strong and fascinating symbol. As such, my interpretation of her incorporates symbolism.

I'm using Sentry Guard Santiago to represent Gatsby, what with his youthfully attractive demeanor. Daisy's white outfit represents her naivete and amoral (as opposed to immoral) philosophy, and her tears are for, well, love lost, past friends, and her rare but palpable pangs of guilt and disappointment. And of course the long string of pearls and the shift-like dress are fitting for the flapper fashion of the era.

P.S. Let me warn everyone against the really crappy TV-movie from 2000 that stars Mira Sorvino as Daisy :shudder:

User Image

I'm probably going to get a lot of guff for this far-from-canon cosplay of the Queen of Hearts from the Lewis Carroll classic, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Not only is there already a QOH dress in the Wonderland set that I refuse to use, I'm also making her young and beautiful -- with a kind of skanky saloon-girl twist -- instead of scary and schoolmarm-y.

Well, in dressing up as a character whose image has been toyed with countless times, I claim my right to such an open interpretation. And anyway, wouldn't a real heartbreaking queen be at once sweet as pie, devastatingly seductive and oddly puzzling?

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
User Image

ALL ITEMS ACQUIRED AS OF APRIL 30, 2012!

Currently working on the third wave of Book Babes.

Thanks to all who contributed!! heart

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
twisted User Image
Aside from a few threads and bumpers, I cleared the slate from the first Book Babes phase. Thanks so much if you donated during the first phase; it was a great experience and I was genuinely bowled over by the generosity of many of you.

Donations will be duly noted for Phase II in this post. Thanks in advance to anyone who donates, bumps, chats, whatever. Don't think I ignore such favors! smile

BENEFACTORS

User Image
15000g!! xd
User Image
Sentry Security: Santiago!
Disturbing Artifice 3000g
Donitus Human's Smoke Bomb and Bazooka!
cajunvoodoo Black Zoot Suit Tapa & KoNfUzEd rAiNbOw tOe sOx!
The Music Makes Me Sway (Charity) 200g!
Sleepy_Shadow_Fox A handful of items for Tank Girl!!
User Image
heart 2000g! heart
Spare Change Charity 500g
heart _ ch0pstik _ a whole butt-ton of quest items!!! heart
heart TheCarpetLady 116185g!!!! heart

REGULARS, FRIENDS & TOP BUMPERS
Sleepy_Shadow_Fox (of Sleepy's Quest)
Disturbing Artifice -- a.k.a. "the donating ninja"
emidang (of DANG! a quest)
Aero_Zeppelin (of Obscure Dissolution -- welcome back!)
cajunvoodoo (of the Wonderland quest)
rainbow_in_the_dark (of the Shameless Pixelated Item Grubbing Quest)
sweetari (of The Music Makes Me Sway)

OTHER QUESTS, CHARITIES & HANGOUTS
danger, danger: HIGH VOLTAGE! Paper Clipp's Quest
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
Super Suits for Super Heroes and Super Villains!
User Image
User Image

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
User Image

This is a banner I made (which you might have seen in my signature) for advertisement. If you feel compelled to plug my quest somewhere, this is a good one to use. Copy the code below the image if you would like to use it! whee

User Image

Highlight, copy, paste!
[url=http://tinyurl.com/2zj4r2][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/gish_kissed/mainbanner.jpg[/img][/url]

SIGNS FOR MY QUEST
None yet.

AVATAR ART (DONATED &/OR FROM SHOPS)
User Image
by lira-chan214 & the candy colors shop

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
heart RESERVED heart

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
:cuts ribbon:

Grand opening! whee
bump! xd

avatar the last airbender rules!

so does Neil Gaiman books!

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
creative crescendo
bump! xd

avatar the last airbender rules!

so does Neil Gaiman books!

heart Yay! Thanks for the bump! Neil Gaiman FTW! biggrin

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
Bump again!

Good night everyone [no one] . . . be back tomorrow afternoon! heart
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Good luck!
It's hard, I just started too :]

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
chr1s shad0w
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Good luck!
It's hard, I just started too :]

Thanks for the bump! heart

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
Bump bump bump.