How old is your Gaia account?

A few months 0.0625 6.2% [ 2 ]
1-2 years 0.0625 6.2% [ 2 ]
3-4 years 0.21875 21.9% [ 7 ]
5-6 years 0.1875 18.8% [ 6 ]
ANCIENT 0.46875 46.9% [ 15 ]
Total Votes:[ 32 ]

dyejob
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Almost forgot you there, Eddie Boy.

Looking forward to Moonrise Kingdom, since I love Wes Anderson, too.

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
why Hello Dollface
i'm gonna bump your thread a little bit with some pictures mrgreen its been a while right?

Wow, I'm impressed. That's a decent lineup. I don't love Brandon Boyd, but that's a great shot of him. That's even a nice picture of Drake -- what wonders The Golden Hour can do for someone's eyes and skin tone.

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
why Hello Dollface
User Image

I had to right-click this picture to find out that it is Milo Ventimiglia. Then I had to look him up by name. You know I don't watch that Heroes stuff, man. But he's a cutie, for sure. Thanks for that.

Dapper Dabbler

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
I want to post more, and I need to keep posting more, but I've been uninspired lately.

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
kunenk
*bounce*

xd

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
I guess there IS something that's been on my mind lately . . .

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
More and more studies are coming out about a disorder that I am absolutely positive that I suffer from: Delayed Sleep-Phase Disorder, or DSPD.

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
Individuals who suffer from DSPD have great difficulty adhering to the societal norm of sleep and wake times. That is to say, we're the ones who are always up crazy late no matter what we do, no matter what medication we take, no matter how long we've been awake.

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
Studies estimate that the disorder affects 3 in 2000 people, though it could be significantly greater because many sufferers of DSPD are misdiagnosed with anything from chronic insomnia to anxiety disorders and even depression.

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
The important distinction to make between DSPD and insomnia is this: people with insomnia have difficulty sleeping in general; DSPD sufferers, in contrast, are totally able to fall asleep and enjoy full, satisfying nights of sleep -- they just get a late start on the process is all.

Delayed sleep-phase types, or DSPTs, have a difficult time getting enough sleep before an early start. Their internal clocks do not normalize in alignment with society at large, which makes things like early classes or work starting-times challenging to deal with. DSPTs live like jet-setting frequent-flyers -- in a perpetual state of jet-lag.

Dapper Dabbler

*pulls a face* I guess it's good to be able to put a name to it, at least.

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
Many DSPTs run the gamut of treatments and therapies to attempt to adjust their sleep schedules, from intentional sleep deprivation and light/sound therapy to prescription medications as well as illegal drugs. I know I've run the gamut my whole life. I can remember being this way as early as six years old.

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
kunenk
*pulls a face* I guess it's good to be able to put a name to it, at least.

Yeah, it's also worth mentioning that a lot of DSPTs don't really consider it a disorder, more or less because most of society doesn't think it's a disorder. It's not really "suffering," what we go through, most people believe. We just go, "Oh, I have to work at 7 tomorrow, and I can't sleep, and it's almost 4 a.m. Wow, work is going to suck. Oh well, no use whining about it."

Even if I were diagnosed DSPT by a team of experts, I get the feeling that society will just think it's another stupid thing for Big Pharma to try and solve with pills. People who don't suffer from DSPD will probably just think we DSPTs are faking it or whining. So if all other DSPTs think like me, we're probably all thinking we'd rather just suck it up and live with it than be branded a bunch of excuse-makers.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff