Welcome to Gaia! ::

honey spice's Honey Bun

Hardcore Bibliophile

honey spice
4laugh emotion_bigheart

Oof, I remember that pain. emotion_facepalm
I'm not sure how it is in NZ, but here in the states, it's not very common for places to hire somebody fresh out of high school for a full-time (40+hrs./week) position.
Don't let that deter you, though! There are definitely jobs out there! You just gotta track 'em down. emotion_dowant

When I was just out of high school and I was looking for my first job, my pride made things a bit harder on me because I had decided from the start that I would never work fast food unless things that very, very bad for me. It took a few weeks of looking but I managed to find a local thrift store that was hiring. c:

I mainly looked at jobs in retail, but if I was much of a people person IRL I probably wouldn't have minded waiting tables at a restaurant, either. One of my friends in HS worked as a waitress during the weekends in our senior year and there were some nights where she would bring home, like, $200 USD (~$304 NZD) in tips alone. lol

It's been a while since I last put together a resume or had an interview (it'll be my 2nd year at my current job at the beginning of March), but if you have any questions, just let me know. c:
Thankfully in NZ most places will be fine to hire a high school graduate for full time work c: The reason I had so much trouble getting a job last year as because I could only work part time, whereas most places looked only for full time. Yasss I'm gonna sniff them out!

Tbh I really don't want to work in fast food. Not because I think that it's a job that's below me, because I don't, but because I would NEVER be able to work in a hot environment like that when I already have so many health problems and fainting issues x.x I really just want a role in customer service. Ugh I would love to work in a thrift store x.x

Retail is my passion, especially clothing chains, so I definitely want a job in retail x.x I've had a previous programme job in a clothing store and I loved it, plus I have my qualification in customer service so I do a good job of it. OMG I would also love to work as a waitress tbh x.x I love working one on one with people and conversing with them.

Thanks boo heart

Dailanie 's Waifu

Generous Fashionista

Dailanie
Thankfully in NZ most places will be fine to hire a high school graduate for full time work c: The reason I had so much trouble getting a job last year as because I could only work part time, whereas most places looked only for full time. Yasss I'm gonna sniff them out!

Tbh I really don't want to work in fast food. Not because I think that it's a job that's below me, because I don't, but because I would NEVER be able to work in a hot environment like that when I already have so many health problems and fainting issues x.x I really just want a role in customer service. Ugh I would love to work in a thrift store x.x

Retail is my passion, especially clothing chains, so I definitely want a job in retail x.x I've had a previous programme job in a clothing store and I loved it, plus I have my qualification in customer service so I do a good job of it. OMG I would also love to work as a waitress tbh x.x I love working one on one with people and conversing with them.

Thanks boo heart

Ah, that makes sense. I kinda wish I was in NZ when I was looking for my first job. lol
I think at least part of the reason it's harder to find full-time jobs just out of HS here is because many places outside of food/retail see new graduate as immature and untrained/unqualified since many non-food/retail full-time jobs here require prior experience or some other qualifications (like some college education). It's stupid but that's how things are for us. confused

It's not that I see fast food as being below me either, but rather it's that I know that even with just a little bit of effort spent, I can fairly easily find a job that pays much better and isn't dead-end. Heck, I work at Home Depot (a home improvement store) and our store manager started out as a lot attendant when he first joined the company twenty years ago. Now he has a six figure salary. lol
Granted, I'm not looking to become a store manager. I wanna work on airplanes. rolleyes

The thrift store job was... okay. I liked the idea of working in a thrift store, but the way the store was run wasn't very good for its employees and I was out of there in under a year. confused

Are there any malls nearby with clothing stores looking for help? That seems like it would be the first plalce to look if you want to work at a clothing store. c:
If you do look for a waitressing job, look for restaurants in busier areas and don't have shared tip pools. I'm not sure how it is in NZ but here waitstaff usually have a lower minimum wage because of the tips that they receive. Restaurants in busier areas mean that it's less likely for there to be any dead periods (aka, periods when you're making less money) and a non-shared tip pool means that any tips that you make are yours to keep. Places with shared tip pools take every tip that a customer leaves and pools it all together to be divided amongst the waitstaff at the end of the day. In theory it sounds fair since everyone gets the same amount of money, but it's bad because there's no incentive to go above and beyond in your customer service; a grumpy, forgetful waiter/waitress would be getting the same amount of money from tips as the friendly, accurate waiter/waitress who makes customers happy.

Dailanie 's Waifu

Generous Fashionista

I just heard about the earthquake in Christchurch. Hope you're alright, hon! :c

honey spice's Honey Bun

Hardcore Bibliophile

honey spice
I just heard about the earthquake in Christchurch. Hope you're alright, hon! :c
I'm all right! heart
Thankfully I'm in Auckland so the Earthquake had no effect.
I have a few friends in Christchurch though who I'm worried about.

Dailanie 's Waifu

Generous Fashionista

Dailanie
I'm all right! heart

Oh, good. emotion_bigheart
About how far from Auckland is Christchurch? o:
I haven't heard anything about fatalities from the earthquake but that doesn't necessarily mean that there haven't been injuries. I hope your friends are alright! :c

honey spice's Honey Bun

Hardcore Bibliophile

honey spice
Dailanie
I'm all right! heart

Oh, good. emotion_bigheart
About how far from Auckland is Christchurch? o:
I haven't heard anything about fatalities from the earthquake but that doesn't necessarily mean that there haven't been injuries. I hope your friends are alright! :c
The distance from Auckland to Christchurch is around 1069km, so thankfully a while away.
No fatalities announced but they're still progressing with the search and rescue.

Dailanie 's Waifu

Generous Fashionista

Dailanie
The distance from Auckland to Christchurch is around 1069km, so thankfully a while away.
No fatalities announced but they're still progressing with the search and rescue.

Ah, gotcha. So about the same distance as my trip to California for christmas. c:
Here's hoping they find anybody still unaccounted for safe and sound. :c

Dailanie 's Waifu

Generous Fashionista

emotion_bigheart

Dailanie 's Waifu

Generous Fashionista

crying

Daaaiiiiiii.... User Image

Rainbow Unicorn

User Image
A bump for you~ <3

honey spice's Honey Bun