Welcome to Gaia! ::

Admit it folks, Gaia's grammar sucks. More often that not, people will post things which the average person would need the modern-day equivalent to the rosetta stone to decipher.

Since I have nothing better to do (because I can't find any literate roleplays - *sigh*), I have decided to start a crusade to improve the grammar of the average person's post. Instead of flaming them with "illiterate philistine!" or "uneducated charlatan!", I will take it upon myself to gently and calmly explain their mistakes, and how they can be corrected - which leads me to the reason this is posted in the charities forum:

My avatar looks bad. He looks like he just came from an unruly football match, rather than someone who would be taken seriously when explaining how and when to use a semicolon. Many of the worst offenders on Gaia also have exceptional avatars (probably so that can say "look at avatar" when describing their roleplay characters... ugh). How can I compete? I am not capable of dropping to their level.

Posting haiku in the chatterbox thread has got me only minimal gold - so it is to you, generous Gaians, which I turn to. Many people say "be literate when you post etc. etc." but nobody ever corrects the offenders.

With the gold donated, I intend to purchase:

whee Red Aero-D Top (3000 g) Got it!
2) Stylish Ochre Winter Coat (9200 g)

I admit that maybe I'm setting my sights a little high since I'm starting with 630 gold, but I believe that it is admirable to set high goals. You are what you repeatedly do, said Aristotle. Literacy is a habit, not an act.

If I'm going to go around correcting people, I may as well look good doing it, no? Who are you going to trust: Mr torn-tshirt-sleeves, or a badass inquisitor of grammar?

Current gold (as of 2004-11-23):

1701 (25 nov 04)
34 (26 nov 04) I got an Arrow-in-the-head from a blue box (omigosh) and sold it for 1313g!

People who have donated to the cause:

Nobody so far (weh weh weh)

More titles (huge thanks, promises of robot artwork, etc.) can be added later, thanks to the glorious device that is 'editable posts'.

Thanks in advance, noble Gaians,

Mr. Syntax
Defender of the Grammatical Conventions of the Queen's English
Member of the GGN
Attaché to the CCESG
One bump
Two bump
Red bump
Blue bump!
No-one bumps the thread
Apathetic gaians smirk
Language slowly dies.
Bring to me the heads of those
Uneducated to dare write "omg liek wtf"
Maybe eating them will give us
Psychic powers.
Um......good luck?
Um, thanks.

Uncertain poster
does not understand the fight
troubled waters stir
I'm not going to go away, you know.

I bookmarked this thread
So that when I need to
I can go
Bump!
And drive it up
Like the water helps drive up a tree
Or hydrogen and oxygen combine
To power the space shuttle.
This post will not end up like the Challenger, though
(Which also went "Bump" wink
Because I'm the one going
Bump!
Not the fuel.
Can you see what I am getting at?
This is going to go on
for a very long time
Until I die
Or maybe suddenly become more mature
And
In a sudden display of maturity
No longer need the internet
I like the poetry, but I think your effort is doomed. Brownie points for the idea, though! It's just that one person, working alone, won't stop the endless onslaught of n00bs. Sad, but true.
Shining_Froggy
I like the poetry, but I think your effort is doomed. Brownie points for the idea, though! It's just that one person, working alone, won't stop the endless onslaught of n00bs. Sad, but true.

Probably true, but I can sure as hell try.
Don't give up the good fight!
Keep your mind on the goal and never let is slip, and your goal will be achieved.
I should probably create a guild, or something. Pff.

Weh weh weh, nobody cares about grammar.
There are guilds! Well I never.
Something's wrong with the 'request to join' page, though, so I'll just have to try again some other time. Oh well.
I wish you much luck, from one literate Gaian to another!! xd
*-{BUMP!}-*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas